Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 20:41   #16

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Lagoon get together Whitsundays Australia 2016

Hello all, Well after due careful consideration and thought and some sage advise from PaulinOz I am thinking the following.
1) This is totally a very amaturish put together get together for the sole purpose of Lagoon owners telling each other how good their boats are
2) I am thinking that there are limited places to hold this get together where we can all anchor or berth in close proximity. These are (and in no order of preference) a) Cid Harbour b) Whitehaven beach c) Hamilton Island marina d) Able Point Marina
A and B have excellent anchorages and well protected from most winds, plus have advantage of good offshore beaches for Sundowners on shore. C and D are also good venues and we would have the ability if people wished to move from boat to boat and arrange a meal on shore. Some more preperation would be required to arrange berthing which would have to be done by each skipper.
3) At this time I am thinking of sometime during the week prior to Shaggers IE around the 15 August.

Open for your thoughts.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Currently anchored Goldsmith Islland. (and loving it)
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 21:13   #17

11 to 18 August is Airlie Beach Race week.

20 to 27 August is Hamilton Island Race week.

I think both marinas will be quiet full a few days before and during each event, so if we are going into a marina. I would think if not already unavailable, we would need to be booking sooner than later.

My vote goes for Whitehaven Beach if weather good. Where ever we will try to be there.

Just to add some color to this thread the view out the back last night.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 21:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
11 to 18 August is Airlie Beach Race week.

20 to 27 August is Hamilton Island Race week.

My vote goes for Whitehaven Beach if weather good. Where ever we will try to be there.
The Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club rendezvous near Bowen is from Thursday 25th to Sunday 28th August.

I agree that we should try to set a time and place ASAP, so that people can plan to be available.

How about Sunday 21st or Monday 22nd August? Monday may be marginally quieter. This would allow a day to recover and a day to travel to Bowen, or 2 days travel in a slow Lagoon. 😀

I'll second Paul's vote for Whitehaven and suggest Cid Harbour as "plan B" if the wind looks unfavourable. Ozsailer to make the call based on weather forecast and careful consideration of chicken entrails 2 days prior.

If weather looks really crap and no good for being outdoors; "plan C" could be a meal at several establishments at Abel Point or Airlie Sailing Club. This allows marina stays or anchor outs, as preferred.

Any other thoughts?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 20:22   #19

Ok folks, I have disussed this with the minister for war, finance and domestic harmony and Whitehaven Beach appears to be the preferred meeting point at this time. Just to confirm of anyone thinking of attending is anyone planning on doing the Airlie race Week as I beleive this would be the perfect time not to be around Airlie and be right away from the racing. Plan B would be at Cid Harbour. As always the weather has the ultimate say

Greg H
Sunshine.
Old 07-07-2016, 20:47   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380

A race week in our slow boats that dont go to windward and only downwind in a near gale? Must be joking
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:38   #21

Race Week at Airlie Beach is a whole lot of fun. Lots of things going on and the place is in party mode. It's also good to watch the racing; especially the carnage. The last couple of years has seen a few dismastings, etc. We worked out that we probably cruised all winter for much less than the cost of damage done in a single afternoon by some of these racing warriors.
Having said that, I'd happily divert to Whitehaven for a night or two. (Need to be in Airlie for crew change 11th and 12th Aug)
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 19:32   #22

OK folks, we are proposing a tentative date of the Sunday the 17th August at Whitehaven Beach (weather permitting, plan B is Cid Harbour). This is the second last day of Airlie Race week and 3 days prior to Hammo Race week and one week prior to Shaggers. Please advise any Lagoon owners you see in the area.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 12-07-2016, 02:10   #23

Hello all, clarification. I wrote Sunday the 17th Agust. That should read Wednesday the 17th Agust . It really helps if I read a 2016 calender and not a 2014 calender DUH \

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Old 15-07-2016, 04:13   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Gotta congratulate Greg & Sue for their initiative in starting this Lagoon Whitsundays get together.

It has now been mentioned in the latest Newsletter from The Multihull Group (TMG) the Australian Lagoon distributors.

In their words "We look forward to supporting the rendezvous and seeing it grow into a great annual event for all those heading north to pop in their calendar".

We'll be there!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 05:06   #25

Hello all,
I can confirm that I have been contacted by Mr John Cowpe the Managing Director for The Multihull Group Pty Ltd (TMG) which are now the Importers for Lagoon Catamarans into Australia. Mr Cowpe stated that he had heard of the get together through the grapevine and supported the event. He has kindly offered any assistance we may require.
At this time I have put out an invitation and a berth to Mr Cowpe to attend. John has indicated he would like nothing better than to attend but due to business comittments he canot confirm at this time. John has already spread the word through the Australian Lagoon Facebook page, TMG's own newsleter and word of mouth. I can confirm that they TMG plan to hold a much more formal event some time in the future.
I can also confirm at this time we have a Lagoon from Townsville and one from Ingham coming down for the get together (also a members on this site) which is very encouraging. It appears we have a definate 6 starters at the moment and I am hearing quite a few more possibles. Come for the comradery, come for the fun, come for the photo oppurtunities and just come for the sake of showing off your Lagoon. (OK its a mono but they dont have a cat emicon)
If you are around the Whitsundays in your Lagoon or know of someone in their Lagoon in the area let them know thats its on, its happening, all at Whitehaven Beach (Southern End) on 17th August 2016. Details will be updated here and on Lagoon Ausralia facebook and also Lagoon owners facebook page. Also thanks to members Paul, Tuskie and GSPeak for their assistance and encouragement. Its greatly appreciated.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410 S2
Old 16-07-2016, 17:50   #26
TRT

Greg and Sue

17th August fits our plans - Biaha L410 will be there.

Trev and Gaye
TRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 18:27   #27

Kathy and Paul
Moor R&R L450
We will be there as long as there is no talk of long walks up hills or along beaches.

Old 16-07-2016, 19:12   #28

Hi Paul,
unless you so desire no long walks or anything energetic, although I do have some thing planned just for you including poetry reading, meditation music appreciation particularly 13th century classical throat singing and water aerobics

Greg H
SV Sunshine
Old 16-07-2016, 19:46   #29

A glass of red wine is equal to one hour in the gym, I am partial to a good gym session.

Old 18-07-2016, 21:44   #30

Re-post from Lagoon Face book page just to bump the topic up again.

"Greg Harding Hello everyone. Just a bit of an update. To date we have 10 Lagoons indicating they will be in attendance at Whitehaven Beach for the 17th August. I was going to be happy if there was Sunshine and 1 other Lagoon. Should look quite a sight to see so many Lagoons all anchored in close proximity."

Tags
Australia, lagoon