Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 11:50   #1

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Lagoon Fetish - Part 1

I can't get them out of my mind - the sleek, beautiful interiors.. the large vertical salon windows, reminding me of a luxury corner condo with a wraparound view... That gorgeous back deck - I can't even bring myself to call it a "cockpit" - waiting to pamper my guests with ocean views, genuine carribean mojitos, and fresh ceviches.

There's no doubt about it, I've got it bad for a cruising catamaran.

I'm a fair sailor, though of little experience, and I do enjoy sailing, but sailing is not my main interest. Coastal cruising with a partner while living in style and comfort are my interests, and so far only one boat series has been able to catch my eye and mesmerize my heart - the Lagoon Cats series 38-40's.

So here I am, years away from a cruising lifestyle with two kids in High School with this burning passion - I can't sleep at night (stayed up last night scouring YouTube for new Lagoon videos, pictures, etc), I can't work properly (...nothing more need be said of this...), and my heart and soul are bursting with unrelinquishable desire.

So I'm going to post a little series about this upcoming. If you have, had, would like to have, or have something that you think is better than a Lagoon, I'd love to hear from you with ideas, suggestions, stories, etc.

More to come...
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 13:45   #2

Re: Lagoon Fetish - Part 1

To say my boat is "Better than" another would only be imposing my values. What I wanted was sailing ability, especially in relatively light breeze.

I dislike motoring. Had a heavy displacement steel mono, which while arguably safe and comfortable, simply didn't sail. That is, you could not make passages in reasonable times in nice weather under sail alone. NICE weather - maybe 10 knots breeze, sunshine, warmth....

So for me, something a little more "performance" oriented. not a race boat, but one that can sail at close to windspeed in around 10 knots breeze.

My way of looking at it - when the weather's nice, just about any boat is comfortable. And if you can make decent speeds when the weather's nice - perfect.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 14:32   #3

Boat: Still Planning

I am with you on the Lagoons, only I got my heart set on an L450 or L500. Really like the 560 but feel it is likely too much boat for 2 people. Also would require a lottery win to afford it.

Was lucky enough to go out on a demo in Annapolis on a 440 and truly loved it. Also demo'd an FP Orana 44. It was okay but I think the Lagoon fever has set in too deep. I do like the Antares 44i also but they are a lot more money.

I can retire in 2 years so really hoping we can make this happen. If the funds fall short, we will just lower the sights.

Best of luck in your future adventures,

Guy & Sherry
guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 14:57   #4

Guyver, I'm in a similar situation, and part of what I eventually want to get to here is to find some creative options for achieving this goal - especially when one has some time to plan.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12   #5

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

I have my small cat, just waiting for the kids to fly off.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450
Er, also have the fetish and hope you don't mind me saying I bought a share in a Lagoon 450. I used think only keel boat and turned my nose up at cats. The Lagoons are great and the 450 just a massive living space. I easily sail it and dock it myself. Cruise on one eng at 6.5kts and 3 ltrs/hr diesel burn or two engines up to 9 kts. Sails faster than most keelers about 7-8 kts on average, doesn't point too great. Systems and features well thought out. Huge storage space. The fly bridge is a wonderful place to sail from or have a drink in a calm bay at sunset. I haven't been in any rough stuff yet.

Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43   #7

I'm very interested in share buying, if anyone knows of something in Florida.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:16   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440

Dave it's quite amazing how high you can get one of these to point and move with one motor ticking over and sheeted in hard, Have a play it stopped us from motoring head into it using two motors when the destination is on the nose and the timetable tight. Cheers Frank
Old 10-06-2012, 04:45   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
How close did you get by doing this and what was your sail setup/ positions?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Hey, From memory about 1400 rpm one engine and 30deg apparent 5.5 knots average flat seas 11/12 knots on the nose ray-marine on wind vane setting.......

I'll take notes next time the day freshened off went the motor and we enjoyed totally...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Genoa traveller right aft setting genny touching lower spreader and main sheeted 12 inches above centre all on hard....
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

i think motoring into the wind brings the apparent wind forward, ie, sailing North with a westerly wind brings apparent wind forward up to 30 degrees, depends on the boat speed. but true wind angle doesnt change. It may be ok if your course is North, but it doesnt help if your course is to windward.
Thats my thoght anyway after a brief attempt the other day across biscay
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56   #13

1) "The full Monte".

Lets say you need to head for a particular point in front of you and damn it that's where the wind is, ALWAYS ON THE NOSE!!!! Have a go at motorsailing to get closer to the wind, sails sheeted hard in also during rough conditions help tremendously to (A) Steady your boat (B) Help you point up..

Because you are trying to sail close to the wind you lose drive/power the single motor running just replaces the drive that you lack and most importantly it keeps the momentum there.

Tags
lagoon