Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02   #91

Boat: L450
Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
This is apparently an email recently sent to Lagoon owners. Perhaps you should send a note to Lagoon19009@cnb.fr with a photo which would get to Lagoon sooner.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Maintaining a permanent focus on the reliability and safety for our customers in our boat building is always a high priority objective for CNB LAGOON.

The safety standards that apply to Catamarans oblige us to fit our boats with emergency exits in case the boat capsizes. That is why our Catamarans are produced with escape hatches under the deck bridge.

Since 2007, we have installed GOÏOT brand fixed hatches, made of a “Securit” glass glued onto an aluminium frame and screwed on each hull. In case of capsize of the boat, the glass hatch must be broken allowing the crew’s evacuation.

However, over the past 12 years, since we have been equipping our catamarans with these products, we have faced a few rare cases of the glass detaching from its aluminium frame, causing water entry into the boat. This has revealed that those escape hatches have no safety device to prevent the fall of the glass in case of detachment.

LAGOON has designed with its supplier GOIOT retaining parts to secure these escape hatches easily, preventing the glass from falling in case of detachment.

LAGOON has set up a technical team ready to work with you to organize the installation - at no cost to you – of these retaining parts which can equipped your boat.

This team can be contacted at the following e-mail address : Lagoon19009@cnb.fr

In each e-mail that you send us, please indicate the boat type and identification serial number, dealer name where you bought the boat and/or the one of your boat maintenance shipyard.

THIS NOTIFICATION IS ONLY FOR CATAMARANS BUILT FROM YEARS 2007 TO 2019 AND EQUIPPED WITH GOIOT BRAND ESCAPE FIXED HATCHES.

If your boat was sold to a third party, kindly inform us of their name and address by return mail Lagoon19009@cnb.fr

Thank you for your understanding and waiting for your reply,

Yours Faithfully,

Yann MASSELOT

Chief executive”
Well... I sent a message and an image of the failed bracket to this address... two weeks later - nothing! No reply, no questions, no reaction... looks like Lagoon CEO only signed that email and in fact doesn’t give a rats ass to what happens to lagoon customers....
sailnw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:11   #92

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I contacted the service manager at Annapolis Yacht Sales and he is ordering the kit to be shipped to my address. I will be installing it myself.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:23   #93

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnw777 View Post
Well... I sent a message and an image of the failed bracket to this address... two weeks later - nothing! No reply, no questions, no reaction... looks like Lagoon CEO only signed that email and in fact doesn’t give a rats ass to what happens to lagoon customers....
Class action law suit would get a response from the CEO I bet. Easily defined and contacted class.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:44   #94

Boat: LAGOON 400

i have installed lagoon fix, and used sikaflex as per instructions so mine will not fall off. Not entirely convinced though.

Thinking of putting sikaflex on aluminium frame and say 1 cm on glass all around window. This way jet of water will not be able to penetrate join area and stop deterioration of bonding. Also will provide further strength to hold glass in place.

Anyone tried this ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:17   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i have installed lagoon fix, and used sikaflex as per instructions so mine will not fall off. Not entirely convinced though.

Thinking of putting sikaflex on aluminium frame and say 1 cm on glass all around window. This way jet of water will not be able to penetrate join area and stop deterioration of bonding. Also will provide further strength to hold glass in place.

Anyone tried this ?

Can't see it would hurt. Another more secure method may be to through bolt the back up retainers, but most would balk at drilling right through the hull, even though it could be epoxy filled and unlikely to allow water ingress to the core. Hard to remove once installed though, eg to reseal the glass every few years. I guess if the bolts were reversed and lock nuts applied to the retainers that would allow disassembly.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:54   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, cats typically have them over each cabin and the main salon...another reason I think the escape hatches are silly.
Silly or whatever, to my understanding they are required for EU approval. So, until rules change (if ever), it's not about getting rid of them, but making them and their bond to hull, seaworthy on the long term!
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:35   #97

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

I am surprised that no law firm starts a class action lawsuit for all Lagoon owners affected by this poorly designed safety solution.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:10   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Silly or whatever, to my understanding they are required for EU approval. So, until rules change (if ever), it's not about getting rid of them, but making them and their bond to hull, seaworthy on the long term!
The rules require a solution, the manufacturer came up with a cheap and dangerous one to meet the requirements. I think the manufacturer could still be liable for their poor solution which endangers boats.
Old 15-01-2020, 04:36   #99

Lack of response from Lagoon is concerning especially with so many affected boats and potentially lethal consequences based on Seychelles incident timeline. Any attorneys here on the forum ? Maybe it’s not a bad idea to have some sort of organized message from a group of owners. I sure don’t want to be next boat after Seychelles one.
Old 15-01-2020, 05:19   #100

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Lack of response from Lagoon is concerning especially with so many affected boats and potentially lethal consequences based on Seychelles incident timeline. Any attorneys here on the forum ? Maybe it’s not a bad idea to have some sort of organized message from a group of owners. I sure don’t want to be next boat after Seychelles one.
Not excusing their silence, but it may be that they simple haven't received your email. Do you have read receipts for the email you sent? If you sent a photo along with your message, the chances it made it through their corporate spam filter is 50/50%. Have you tried emailing without a photo from a different account?

-Matt
Old 15-01-2020, 05:41   #101

I’ve sent messages to both Lagoon and the original dealer. Resent to both now. (Actually dealer replied trying to understand what happened but quiet since).
Old 15-01-2020, 06:40   #102

Quote:
I’ve sent messages to both Lagoon and the original dealer. Resent to both now. (Actually dealer replied trying to understand what happened but quiet since).
Lawyering up maybe?
Old 15-01-2020, 07:12   #103

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

The hatches for most production cats including Lagoon are made by Goiot. The version used on FP, Catana, Nautitech and others is also under recall where the official recall fix is at best a bandaid. Last week an FP with that bandaid lost their hatch. Fortunately they were in the BVIs and were able to save the boat. There is now a realization at least at FP that the problem is of epic proportions involving a 1000 or more boats with a major fix involved. It could be Goiot is so consumed with the FP hatch, they can't getting any resources on the Lagoon hatch which I think will be very difficult to fix properly.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 22:33   #104

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
The hatches for most production cats including Lagoon are made by Goiot. The version used on FP, Catana, Nautitech and others is also under recall where the official recall fix is at best a bandaid. Last week an FP with that bandaid lost their hatch. Fortunately they were in the BVIs and were able to save the boat. There is now a realization at least at FP that the problem is of epic proportions involving a 1000 or more boats with a major fix involved. It could be Goiot is so consumed with the FP hatch, they can't getting any resources on the Lagoon hatch which I think will be very difficult to fix properly.
Assuming lagoon has same hatch like FP, is aluminum frame falling off including acylic or arcylic only? Do you have definite proof for either ? Lagoon fix, the way it is done suggests it is actually aluminium frame that needs to be protected from falling out.

One of these days I will have to get to that facebook login page and create user and see what lagoon says
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 00:30   #105

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Lagoons escape hatches are glas, they are sacrificial, you have to break them with a pointy hammer, like car windows.

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon