Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 16:43   #76

Boat: Dean 5000 sailing catamaran
Re: Lagoon 620 as a Bluewater Cruiser for Circumnavigation ?

Hi, there are 2 new models out which I like, the Lagoon 560 and the new Sunreef 58'. Both of them are very nice boats with modern interior and similar pricing.
Now you can find a lot of info of the Lagoon, but the first Sunreef 58' is coming out this year.
Anybody has any experience with other Sunreef catamarans? It's a pretty new boatyard, only 10 years old, but already had buildt quite a few boats of bigger range. I would appreciate any opinion!

Thanks!
Tamas
tomicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomicante View Post
Hi, there are 2 new models out which I like, the Lagoon 560 and the new Sunreef 58'. Both of them are very nice boats with modern interior and similar pricing.
Now you can find a lot of info of the Lagoon, but the first Sunreef 58' is coming out this year.
Anybody has any experience with other Sunreef catamarans? It's a pretty new boatyard, only 10 years old, but already had buildt quite a few boats of bigger range. I would appreciate any opinion!

Thanks!
Tamas
Sunreefs are really well built and sound boats. A little on the heavy side may be, but in heavy conditions behave really well. I was in the crew of 72 on round the Europe winter delivery - boat was blameless, except some completely minor teething problems, as always at the shakedown voyage.
58 and 62 now replaced their old 60 in production and both are much improved (the 60 was not so succesfull design). Anyway - if You are considering to purchase one, just arrange for the visit in the yard. They are very open and welcoming. The yard works really on semi-custom basis, so they will readily adopt the boat and specification to suit Your particular needs. My feeling is that with Sunreef the price/worth ratio is really attractive for the owner - but it is only my opinion, of course.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02   #78

Thanks DoubleWhisky!

Looks like they will stop building the 62' and it will be replaced with the new 58' (which in reality is 60') this year. The boats look really nice and loaded with all the extras, but it's good to hear your positive opinion after sailing one.

Cheers,
Tamas
Old 02-03-2011, 13:09   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Looks like they will stop building the 62' and it will be replaced with the new 58' (which in reality is 60') this year.
Tamas
Sorry, my mistake
They are really stopping 62 (oldest model, with wrong design of bridgedeck) and replacing it by two new models - 58 (sixty in the matter of fact) and 64. I saw a 58 in construction, and I believe it is much improved as compared to old 62.

Regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 12:36   #80

Has anybody seen the new Gunboat 60 by the way, it's hot!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:15   #81

yes it is......are you going in that direction now?
sea garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:45   #82

I hope (I wish!!!) to...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:01   #83

Hi Mehmet, A Lagoon 500 is the largest cat you might handle with two on board. The new lagoon 560 seems to be a better passagmaker and perhaps better designed vessel than the 620 - which is more of a Riviera Queen. Personally i would have to consider Privilege cats of the same budget level. Even a 455 is a truly outstanding cruiser. remember that many places in the "3rd world" you may not want to stand out with such flagrant consumption. I can tell you from experiance that we made many more friends everywhere we went on a beat-up old 32 footer than our later cruise on a beautiful 55 footer - everyone just saw $$$$ and put their hands out. it was 15 years later but same area. What's best for San Tropez is way different than for Belize.
Multitalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:55   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multitalent View Post
Hi Mehmet, A Lagoon 500 is the largest cat you might handle with two on board. The new lagoon 560 seems to be a better passagmaker and perhaps better designed vessel than the 620 - which is more of a Riviera Queen. Personally i would have to consider Privilege cats of the same budget level. Even a 455 is a truly outstanding cruiser. remember that many places in the "3rd world" you may not want to stand out with such flagrant consumption. I can tell you from experiance that we made many more friends everywhere we went on a beat-up old 32 footer than our later cruise on a beautiful 55 footer - everyone just saw $$$$ and put their hands out. it was 15 years later but same area. What's best for San Tropez is way different than for Belize.
A question Multitalent, I do like the Lagoon 560 and am seriously looking at making a purchase in the near future. But. I will want to single sail at times. You said the 500 would be the largest a person with two on board would want to handle. Is a 560 so much different in managing to sail than a 500. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 21:17   #85

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

With electric winches or roller furling mainsail I would not think there would be much difference. Spending that amount of money I expect you might also have a bow thruster as well to help with mooring.

As for manhandling sails thats another matter.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 21:31   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
With electric winches or roller furling mainsail I would not think there would be much difference. Spending that amount of money I expect you might also have a bow thruster as well to help with mooring.

As for manhandling sails thats another matter.
Thanks downunder. I can see manhandling the sails being a problem in a 450 or 560. Though I do get the bigger the boat the larger the sails. Roller furling for the mainsail along with electric winches for the other sails sounds good. I suppose I should try to find out what kind of strength will be needed to manhandle the sails on the larger vessel. This will tell me how much time ill need to spend lifting weights in the gym before I set out alone.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:48   #87

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Still looking Mehmet? We have sailed many years now on our Lagoon 440 having left Cape Town in a westerly direction and currently hanging off Fiji. The 560 S2 is our choice of boat and we have looked into this in great detail - we have conclusively ruled out the 620 based on the sheer size of it. Smaller cats are easier to sell when you need to get out of them or want to trade in for new. Ana and I are indeed looking at purchasing the Lagoon 560 for our next circumnavigation but whilst we are not concerned about our ability to sail it 2 up - or even 1 up which I easily feel I could comfortably do, the size of the boat in terms of keeping it clean, anti-fouled (remember a lot of cleaning also happens frequently under the vessel) and other general maintenance issues would CERTAINLY get away from us UNLESS we regularly pay for these services by others. There is NO getting around this - if you want to keep your investment 'ship shape' you WILL need others to do a LOT of work for you ... and on a very REGULAR basis! This fact alone has us wondering if this is a road we want to go down! I must say, having visited many places around the globe now, that anything bigger than a 500 begins to seriously hamper options for haul outs and so forth in remote areas, so take this into consideration. When there are 2 of you on a boat, a 45 foot catamaran serves to provide a lot of space - however - I do miss the presence of a reclining couch! Just a thought !
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:47   #88

Did you see the new X5 SAIL by XQUISITE YACHTS?
It'a 50' luxury cruising cat, and comes fully equipped for off-shore cruising as standard. There will be one on display on the Miami Boat Show next week.
The boat is designed for completely single handed cruising, with electric winches, two head sails, electric davits, etc.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:53   #89

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Did you see the new X5 SAIL by XQUISITE YACHTS?
It'a 50' luxury cruising cat, and comes fully equipped for off-shore cruising as standard. There will be one on display on the Miami Boat Show next week.
The boat is designed for completely single handed cruising, with electric winches, two head sails, electric davits, etc.
Yeah - X5 an amazing vessel and incredibly fast! We sailed with friends in the pacific who owned one - they were always lonely people because they were way ahead of the pack I think Just Catamarans in Fort Lauderdale are agents - terrific boat sold by terrific folks !!! sorry - have to edit here - I thought you were talking about Outremer X5
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:58   #90

That's a different boat... the X5 SAIL is a new model, and built by a new yard called XQUISITE YACHTS in South Africa.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
circumnavigation, cruiser, lagoon