Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2006, 08:16   #1

Lagoon 560

Hello to all !I am thinking of buying a very recent or even new Lagoon 560 for private use, that is cruising six months per year or even full time. It's quite hard to meet people with first hand, long term experience with these boats. Is there anybody out there? Currently I sail a custom 56ft aluminium cutter, six months per year for the past six years.Any help appreciated!Andrej
andrejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 05:20   #2

Re: Lagoon 560

Dear Andrej;

Although my heart wishes for a Gunboat, my mind dictates L560 as well, since it's much much much more comfortable and easier to live with. I'd appreciate if you could let me know if you had first hand experience with the 560 regarding sailing, living aboard, upkeeping and maintenance.

Best Regards;
Mehmet
memolei@yahoo.com
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 08:31   #3

Boat: Lagoon 560

We are picking up our 560 this weekend. Setting off for the Canaries on as soon as weather allows. I will report back with experience after that. Looking at the weather, we will be beating all the way.
oos_ya_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 08:16   #4

Congratulations!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 02:34   #5

Still in Gib. Waiting for weather window.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10   #6

posted in here on experience.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1082702
Old 31-12-2015, 00:33   #7

I realize this is an old discussion but it is dealing specifically with my interest, a 560 Lagoon.

I'm interested to know if the rigging of the 560 is similar to the 450 Lagoon.

The specific reason is that I have heard there are problems with running a Genoa without a mainsail because of the stress loads on the 450 mast. I would like to know if the 560 has the same issue.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 04:13   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I realize this is an old discussion but it is dealing specifically with my interest, a 560 Lagoon.

I'm interested to know if the rigging of the 560 is similar to the 450 Lagoon.

The specific reason is that I have heard there are problems with running a Genoa without a mainsail because of the stress loads on the 450 mast. I would like to know if the 560 has the same issue.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chaya
I suggest you look at the Lagoon user manuals. You may find that what you heard is incorrect. Unfortunately I am using a small phone and do not have the skills to paste a link to the manual I have just read.

It is true that there are some boats (not the 450) in which they warn you not to have FULL genoa at the same time as a main with TWO reefs. That is different than what you may have been told. Key is that a main with two reefs can bend the mast a bit the wrong way, and then the shroud tension generated by the genoa's forward thrust will compress the mast and create additional "P-delta" bending in the mast.

I have never seen a boat designed to give you problems with having only a full genoa up. The common problem is fully-reefed main and full genoa, which is a bad combination to have anyway.

I trust that the manual will deal with your concern. There is a full page dedicated to reefing configurations.

Cheers

Charlie

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 13:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I suggest you look at the Lagoon user manuals. You may find that what you heard is incorrect. Unfortunately I am using a small phone and do not have the skills to paste a link to the manual I have just read.

It is true that there are some boats (not the 450) in which they warn you not to have FULL genoa at the same time as a main with TWO reefs. That is different than what you may have been told. Key is that a main with two reefs can bend the mast a bit the wrong way, and then the shroud tension generated by the genoa's forward thrust will compress the mast and create additional "P-delta" bending in the mast.

I have never seen a boat designed to give you problems with having only a full genoa up. The common problem is fully-reefed main and full genoa, which is a bad combination to have anyway.

I trust that the manual will deal with your concern. There is a full page dedicated to reefing configurations.

Cheers

Charlie

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks Charlie. I'll take to the books (manual) as you suggest. The earlier information on another thread dealt with both 450's and what was new at the time the 560's.

Maybe Lagoon have changed the rigging on more recent productions which would make for a change in their earlier advice. Need to dig further on this.

Regards and a happy 2016,
Chaya
Old 31-12-2015, 16:41   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm pretty sure all the lagoon manuals state their needs to be some main up if using a spinnaker or full Genoa. I don't really understand why. The spinnaker halyard turning block is only a couple of feet above the shrouds connection. I can't see how having some main up will stiffen the mast. Also I can't see any issue with a full Genoa downwind. It's not like the main has any structural tension in the sailcloth to support the mast, especially if the boom is eased DW. I think most lagoonies flying cruising kites do so without any main up, and tension the main sheet to give the masthead additional support via the topping lift.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 19:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm pretty sure all the lagoon manuals state their needs to be some main up if using a spinnaker or full Genoa. I don't really understand why. The spinnaker halyard turning block is only a couple of feet above the shrouds connection. I can't see how having some main up will stiffen the mast. Also I can't see any issue with a full Genoa downwind. It's not like the main has any structural tension in the sailcloth to support the mast, especially if the boom is eased DW. I think most lagoonies flying cruising kites do so without any main up, and tension the main sheet to give the masthead additional support via the topping lift.
Thanks Monte. I've been looking for the thread where I read the same thing. The thread goes back some years but a poster said they made a direct enquiry with Lagoon head office and they emphatically stated that you need to have at least one reef in the mainsail flying kites. I'm not sure if it is the same for jibs.

Thanks and you and your family have a wonderful 2016.

Chaya
Old 02-01-2016, 14:39   #12

Taken from a 2012 discussion "440 sailing with Jib only"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-90766.html

"I was recently in Mallorca talking to the proud owner of a 2009 440, and were discussing sailing the 440 in general. Reference was made by me to sailing with Gib alone, downwind in big seas where you may be reluctant to have to bring her about in to the wind to reef the main, especially on a night passage shorthanded.

Reference was made to the 2009 Lagoon hand book that stated for his boat "Under no circumstances sail with the Gib alone, main or part main sail must be up."

Then later the poster states.

"I have now had writen confirmation from Lagoon that the Genoa can not be used with more that 1 reef in the main. I will copy and paste this in later."
At this point I believe the poster is talking about a L440.

I can find no reference to the Lagoon 450 needing some main up in my Manual.

From Lagoons Reefing instruction for the 450 they suggest in Strong off the wind sailing 38 to 45 knots, no main and 40% Head sail.

We often sail with Just the head sail or an asymmetric Spinnaker sans main and the mast is still standing on our Lagoon 450.

We are just cruising so sail choice is always a compromise between speed, comfort and ease of handling if reefing further is expected.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Taken from a 2012 discussion "440 sailing with Jib only"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-90766.html

"I was recently in Mallorca talking to the proud owner of a 2009 440, and were discussing sailing the 440 in general. Reference was made by me to sailing with Gib alone, downwind in big seas where you may be reluctant to have to bring her about in to the wind to reef the main, especially on a night passage shorthanded.

Reference was made to the 2009 Lagoon hand book that stated for his boat "Under no circumstances sail with the Gib alone, main or part main sail must be up."

Then later the poster states.

"I have now had writen confirmation from Lagoon that the Genoa can not be used with more that 1 reef in the main. I will copy and paste this in later."
At this point I believe the poster is talking about a L440.

I can find no reference to the Lagoon 450 needing some main up in my Manual.

From Lagoons Reefing instruction for the 450 they suggest in Strong off the wind sailing 38 to 45 knots, no main and 40% Head sail.

We often sail with Just the head sail or an asymmetric Spinnaker sans main and the mast is still standing on our Lagoon 450.

We are just cruising so sail choice is always a compromise between speed, comfort and ease of handling if reefing further is expected.
Thanks a lot PaulineOz. Looks like the need for a mainsail being up while running a Spinnaker etc was for the 440 model. Perhaps they changed things around a bit. I hope so and that it wasn't an oversight in their manual. I'm getting way to paranoid I think.

Anyway I think I will try and ask Lagoon directly in France. Nothing like getting the latest info on this direct from the manufacturer. Unless someone else has already done this. If not I will report back.

Cheers,
Chaya

Tags
lagoon