Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 10:53   #1

Lagoon 55

Looks very nice but I can't find any good information out there. It's a pretty old boat (approx 20 years). Question I have :
- what to expect of the structure, damages to expect due to wear ?
- seen some nasty pics on the web regarding wet (deck, cockpit) core ... refit required, refit advised due to the age of the boat ?, what cost to expect approx ?
- sailing capabilities seem very good - confirmation ?
- is engine room separated ?
- storage space ?
- advised to update the original electric (battery, charger) and electronics (nav) ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:51   #2

Re: Lagoon 55

looking for the same info.
what year boat are you looking at there are quite a few on the market. you can pretty much tell from the asking price what the condition of the boat is like. they are a few out there however that are asking big money that need work
megabites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:08   #3

Imho this boat looks very nice - the whole setup attracts me in contrary of the newer Lagoons which seems to be floating homes.

But stumbled across this : http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...24953027551251

I was wondering if the build quality is so bad or if the boat was just not maintained properly.

Btw the 55 were build around 1990 - pretty old but wondering if they can still do a few years.
Old 26-01-2012, 06:42   #4

very interesting pictures of that refit.most of what was wrong would have gone unnoticed by most people. that boat was a 1988 boat that looked as tho it had been sitting for a while. if you search on facebook there is another one with a family in the med that also has their 55 for sale in turkey. always remember you get what you pay for.
i dont think that they were badly built boats i just think that the building technology has gotten better and that is what we are basing a well built or poorly built boat on.
what i am trying to find out was the hulls also balsa core or just the decks maybe someone can help me with this
Old 15-04-2012, 14:36   #5

So, the boat in the refit is my boat :-). It was a huge project, and jsut finishing. I wouldn't do it again. However, the reason i chose the boat is performance, size and weight. And the lines.

THere is nothing wrong with the design. But if you don't maintain them, they will accumulate problems, as mine did.

But its brand new, now....
jwscholl846096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 15:33   #6

Is the interior finished now as well? would love to see some pictures of what you did to the inside for some ideas. did you repower as well? they deffinately have some classy lines in comparison with the boats nowadays.
what kind of shape was your hull bottom in? especially the points infront of the keel and chocking areas
Old 17-04-2012, 10:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscholl846096 View Post
So, the boat in the refit is my boat :-). It was a huge project, and jsut finishing. I wouldn't do it again. However, the reason i chose the boat is performance, size and weight. And the lines.

THere is nothing wrong with the design. But if you don't maintain them, they will accumulate problems, as mine did.

But its brand new, now....
Well I was wondering why the balsa core either was totally wet in some areas and worse was totally rotten. Has this something to do with the build quality or was the boat just badly maintained ?

Also I guess the boat must keep the "track" much better then a short-keel or a dagger-bard body (?).

Darn .. I want a Lagoon 55 too ....
Old 23-04-2012, 15:02   #8

another question to you. have you changed the steering system? if so what have you upgraded it to? cylinders, etc...

the boats are solid glass to about 8 inches on either side of centre then balsa core throughout. if thru hulls were not put in properly that is where problems will happen.

Tags
lagoon