Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 12:55   #1

Lagoon 500 interior LED light replacements

Hey all,

I'm sure many of you have run into this issue...

Some of the LED lights in the salon of my Lagoon 500 are out, in some housings all of the lights are out in others just some of them are out. I researched this and the replacement is a $90 Bryan LED unit.

Have any of you found a less expensive option or way of just replacing the bulbs? Replacing 6-8 of these is going to get pricey quickly.... and they definitely have not lasted the advertised 50,000 hours!

Thanks!
cbrooks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:57   #2

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: Lagoon 500 interior LED light replacements

Just finished my change over to LED so cannot report on long term use, however
have installed marinebeam.com bulbs. Researched and found that they deal well with
flux in voltage that occur with charge/discharge etc. Not all led bulbs do.
Good positive input from cf members and sailnet as well.
Jeff at marinebeam.com is held in high regard and has been very helpful.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:53   #3

Fixtures need not be replaced all of the bulbs can be replaced with LED's.
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:22   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks07 View Post
Hey all,

I'm sure many of you have run into this issue...

Some of the LED lights in the salon of my Lagoon 500 are out, in some housings all of the lights are out in others just some of them are out. I researched this and the replacement is a $90 Bryan LED unit.

Have any of you found a less expensive option or way of just replacing the bulbs? Replacing 6-8 of these is going to get pricey quickly.... and they definitely have not lasted the advertised 50,000 hours!

Thanks!
We replaced all out internal bulbs with cheep (warm white ) Chinese LED's, from Ebay.

Cost was about 1 euro each, some 3 years back, not had any stop working.

Cut the amount of amps we use by 3/4........................
Big Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:23   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2009), # 536

Hi there,

for replacing halogene bulbs, there's only one solution for me after quite some experimenting: a one (!) 'power-LED' replacement in 'warm (!) white'.

Multi-LED assemblies with their almost 180° lighting angle drove us nuts, on the boat, as well as at home. There's comparatively little light "everywhere", and that's exactly what one is not used to with focussing halogene bulbs.

Furthermore, I learnt to look for equipment with "CREE" power LEDs. Not sure whether that's just a manufacturer, or a technology, but they seem to deliver the brightest output compared to their (true) power consumption.
"True" refers to virtually all advertised power consumption data I found being pure rubbish -- one apparently has to measure oneself.

LEDs are super sensitive to higher DC voltages than they are designed for. Either you install a DC/DC stabilizer, or you go for stabilized bulbs (typically 8-30VDC).

I replaced all 24 Halos on my L380 with these (approx. GBP 5 a piece including shipment to Germany in my case):

10x G4 3w CREE LED lightbulbs replace 20w Halogen bulb 12v DC 8-30v DC 160 Lumen

I felt I had to inform the dealer about their wrong technical data and related Wattage statements (in vain), but they're almost too bright to read in your bunk, and turn the saloon and pantry into a really light flooded area -- @ just 1.3 Watts each (that's approx. 100mA @12.7V, or my multi-meter and battery monitor are defective).
seelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 13:33   #6

CORRECTION: just found out that afore mentioned ebay source now almost tripled (!) pricing I received a year ago for 10 bulbs.
They now also try to get ridiculously exorbitant pricing for a single bulb.

APOLOGIES, although I still highly recommend this LED technology, I wish I had not posted this now clearly untrustworthy link!
Old 29-03-2015, 13:57   #7

These guys currently want $7.50 a bulb:
3W CREE Flat Rounded LED G4 Lamp, Side Pin, AC/DC8-30V
I have NO EXPERIENCE with their commercial attitude, though!
Old 29-03-2015, 14:26   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Has anyone else noted, that the technology in LED failure is driver related and not the LED itself. It seems that this technology has the same engineered obsolescence issues as other equipment.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 14:43   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

""CREE" power LEDs." CREE is a leading manufacturer, and I suspect that many vendors who claim to be using CREE (brand) LEDs are just supplying counterfeits. Especially the ones who claim more lumens of output than CREE specifies, at prices below CREE's own wholesale prices.

LEDs commercially are rated for 50,000 hours and then a reduced brightness of 70% at that time, eventually going out closer to 100,000 hours. Improper heat sinking, improper driving (voltage and current) can chop that way down. As can cheap manufacturing from anonymous sources.

In a boat cabin, cheap can be good since it is often so easy to just throw them out and plug in new ones. Or you can shop for true prime components from a prime vendor who knows what they are doing, and they'll offer warranty support as well. And then just not bother changing "light bulbs" for five or ten years.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, lagoon, men, replacements