Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 14:02   #16

Re: Lagoon 450S Roller Furling Spool Slipping and Jamming

As a side note in post #8 the block is attached with a bungy/shock cord strop, this allows up and down movement and the springy tension removes slop. Post #11 has the block attached to the support wire by what looks like dyneema soft shackle which they say works fine for them too. That furling line can get very tight, especially when sailing in reefed conditions upwind and so my preference would be for an attachment that has some give, rather than fixed as the striker stay is not meant to have a side load on it.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 04:52   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by B73C View Post
A block worked for us.
Nice block and strop. Where did you find those?
Thx!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:45   #18

The line guide is correct in the photo. The furling line is enclosed. My error.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
As a side note in post #8 the block is attached with a bungy/shock cord strop, this allows up and down movement and the springy tension removes slop. Post #11 has the block attached to the support wire by what looks like dyneema soft shackle which they say works fine for them too. That furling line can get very tight, especially when sailing in reefed conditions upwind and so my preference would be for an attachment that has some give, rather than fixed as the striker stay is not meant to have a side load on it.

Was the bungee a purchased pre-made item? I'm curious, because I've not found a good way to secure or finish off a loop of bungee cord. I needed to do so on my last trimaran and used a special crimper (hog ring), but couldn't find stainless hardware and it started to rust and bleed immediately.
Old 29-09-2020, 12:23   #20

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Was the bungee a purchased pre-made item? I'm curious, because I've not found a good way to secure or finish off a loop of bungee cord. I needed to do so on my last trimaran and used a special crimper (hog ring), but couldn't find stainless hardware and it started to rust and bleed immediately.

Whipping is the best looking and longest lasting, but a bit of a pain to do. If I’m feeling lazy I use a plastic zip tie, with the plan of putting in a whipping when I’ve got time. You could use a SS hose clamp for something that won’t rust as easily.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:08   #21

Thanks. Interestingly enough I did just find SS hog rings, but better than that I learned that an Angler's knot actually holds bungee quite well.
Old 29-09-2020, 14:20   #22

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Re bungy, I use a double bowline pulled tight as the starter knot and then then can finish with round turn and two half hitches again pulled tight followed by a couple more half hitches. The bungy stretches after a while and needs to be shortened up. To tidy loose ends I melt the nylon outer skin or use electrical shrink tube. Black bungy is more UV resistant I am told.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 04:56   #23

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Nice block and strop. Where did you find those?
Sorry, they came with the boat, but any soft shackle could do it.

After reading some of the comments I'm inclined to move it inboard onto the striker now...
Old 01-10-2020, 03:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B73C View Post
Sorry, they came with the boat, but any soft shackle could do it.

After reading some of the comments I'm inclined to move it inboard onto the striker now...

Agreed; yours adds angle to the line. Ours is on the striker, but I'd like to change to bungee, and I'd not seen a block set up like yours. Found them now, thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48   #25

Boat: Lagoon, 450F, 45 feet

Hello,
I have a 2016 Lagoon 450F,

I have attached a couple of photos of my set up.
I have only owned the vessel for 6 months, but I have not experienced any issues with the furling spool.

I hope this can be helpful to you

-Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	224505   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	224506  

Name:	f3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	224507  
Jimmy30379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 23:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy30379 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2016 Lagoon 450F,

I have attached a couple of photos of my set up.

I have only owned the vessel for 6 months, but I have not experienced any issues with the furling spool.

I hope this can be helpful to you

-Jimmy

I don’t own a Lagoon so am chiming in with naivety, please be kind as I don’t mean any offence.

That looks like a very thick/strong line between the seagull striker and the pole. Is the seagull striker strong enough to withstand a strong forward pull on that line, say if the halyard were to break and the sail fall into the water?

We had a 10mm line between our bow pole and seagull striker when we bought our boat and left it in place. A few months later during our first ocean passage we buried the pole in a wave with no halyard on it and the water force pulled the bow pole down and the seagull striker forward and right off, breaking the tubes. We were half way on a 1100 mile passage and sailed the rest of the time with a tiny rag of headsail to keep the front beam from pumping. A very scary lesson - now we have parachute cord to hold the pole up.

Name:	IMG_1601705115.707918.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	224540

BTW, here is our solution to the furling line furling to the bottom of the drum. Note that it pulls down rather aft so it’s not an issue for the martingale stay.

Name:	IMG_1601705195.972510.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	224541

The alternative would be to use 8mm rather than 10mm furling line. Using the LFR was cheaper.
Old 03-10-2020, 00:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I don’t own a Lagoon so am chiming in with naivety, please be kind as I don’t mean any offence.

That looks like a very thick/strong line between the seagull striker and the pole. Is the seagull striker strong enough to withstand a strong forward pull on that line, say if the halyard were to break and the sail fall into the water?

We had a 10mm line between our bow pole and seagull striker when we bought our boat and left it in place. A few months later during our first ocean passage we buried the pole in a wave with no halyard on it and the water force pulled the bow pole down and the seagull striker forward and right off, breaking the tubes. We were half way on a 1100 mile passage and sailed the rest of the time with a tiny rag of headsail to keep the front beam from pumping. A very scary lesson - now we have parachute cord to hold the pole up.

Attachment 224540

BTW, here is our solution to the furling line furling to the bottom of the drum. Note that it pulls down rather aft so it’s not an issue for the martingale stay.

Attachment 224541

The alternative would be to use 8mm rather than 10mm furling line. Using the LFR was cheaper.

Thank you for your insight.
The thick line from my Seagull Striker to the bow spirit is a bungee, it has some give to it, so hopefully I would avoid the issues you were describing.

-Jimmy
Old 03-10-2020, 05:42   #28

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy30379 View Post
Thank you for your insight.
The thick line from my Seagull Striker to the bow spirit is a bungee, it has some give to it, so hopefully I would avoid the issues you were describing.

-Jimmy

This is standard set up, with blue bungy from pole to striker. We have occasionally had a wave force the pole down vertically and the bungee has let it go all the way down and brings it back up again. It is several loops of bungy that has significant stretch,. If you have it too loose the pole waggles up and down, so it needs to be balanced. The alternative to keeping the pole tight is to attach the spinnaker halyard.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
This is standard set up, with blue bungy from pole to striker. We have occasionally had a wave force the pole down vertically and the bungee has let it go all the way down and brings it back up again. It is several loops of bungy that has significant stretch,. If you have it too loose the pole waggles up and down, so it needs to be balanced. The alternative to keeping the pole tight is to attach the spinnaker halyard.
Thanks Tin Tin.
I agree with you 100%

-Jimmy
Old 04-10-2020, 15:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post

But the bungy even when fully stretched is transferring all the load to the seagull striker isn’t it? But if the seagull striker can handle that then OK.

Tags
furling, lagoon, roller furling