Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 14:08   #16

Re: Lagoon 450 Windlass Quick,Dylan FAIL

Just a thought, I noticed the other day when we had run our battery bank down, that with the engines in neutral at idle there was insufficient voltage available for the windlass, it went slowly and even the Sailing instruments shut down. We tried it With the generator running - no problem - so could be a voltage supply issue rather than the motor. Our Gel batteries are 6 years old too.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:43   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Looks like I'm heading down this road for sure now.

Today whilst anchoring, the Remote chain counter gave out. (First 'sensor failure', followed a few mins later by neither up nor down button working).

Also windlass seems to be seriously slow pulling chain up. Its really slow.

Same symptoms as our Dylan. It just got slower and slower to haul up the anchor before it just stopped. Dont wait to that day as it will likely be at a time you do want your anchor up! And dont count on Quicks plastic manual overide insert.

Our 'sensor failure' has occurred 3 times now and entailed replacing the magnet and/or the sensor. A tedious job. We pretty much use the handheld control exclusively now.

Just part of the crap that Quick sells to the marine industry!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 00:09   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Thank Stephen.

So it almost died pulling up anchor couple days ago, so it is now in pieces, and the motor gone ashore in Rhodes to see what the story is. Once it was pulled out, can clearly smell burnt insulation and see dark spots on it. Not a good sign....

It also seems last owner has replaced the qwik motor, with something else (but put it back in the same housing (with some "special" wiring it seems).

Wonder if there is a better brand that fits in the same spot ?

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 04:54   #19

The replacement motor has worked well. A suggestion passed to me was to increase engine RPM when raising to get a bit more volts from the alternator.

My chain counter has failed about five times. Read switch or magnet rusted out. Not a big problem as still motors from hand controller and I put markers on the chain every 10m. Cheers, Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 07:32   #20

Quote:
It also seems last owner has replaced the qwik motor, with something else (but put it back in the same housing (with some "special" wiring it seems).

Another person asked me a related question today about replacing the 1700W motor with a more powerful one. Providing the voltage is the same and amps are within range and compatible with the relay and breaker, stepping up to a larger motor (within reason) should not be too much an issue ie 2000W. Of course you can purchase a replacement relay and breaker to match. The DC motor's spine will need to be compatible with the windlass. And do a dimension check in the anchor locker. The Quick motor is contained inside a plastic cover/cocoon and sealed from the elements therefore a replacement motor should have a similar cocoon.

Perhaps Im missing something but something to think about.
Old 27-08-2017, 01:08   #21

Update: Motor came back yesterday after a rebuild ashore. Apparently some wiring was melted, was full of carbon and one armature had a short. {Not 100% sure, tech's English wasn't brilliant !} - 280 Euro for that work here in Rhodes.

He reckons it had been overloaded. His suspicion, had been run against the 'lock' too often. Just a guess though.

Did not have complementary things to say about Qwik....

Either way, re-installed, now working a treat. Dropped and retrieved 30m of chain (in the marina), about as fast as I'd expect, and about 5 times faster than it was !.

Chain counter and helm remote working again also. Nothing done to it, just is...

Lets see how long it lasts when used in anger later this week in anchorage.

Regards

Mark.
Old 02-09-2017, 16:05   #22

Hi Dave,
We have experienced the same with our Dylan. We almost always run the PS engine at 1500 to 1800 to assist in bringing up the anchor. We also have an over-sized Mantus on board. So the extra RPMs helps. This has been a really good thread. We are going to strip ours down and have a look inside. Thanks for sharing!

J
On The Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 16:54   #23

Just a quick followup...our chain counter was the same. It would work and then not. Finally got fed up with it not working and pulled it out and installed a simple up/down switch. I like the Keep It Super Simple method.

Jeanette
On The Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:08   #24

Windlass working fine now (for past week anyway).
I run at least one engine in 'High Idle' when using the windlass. which is about 1300 RPM. Would like more, but thats tricky on our electronic engine controls.
(As in, I havn't figured out how !).

Helm remote / chain counter, not so much. Its dead again. Will be pulling that apart soon. What is annoying, is it seems the up/down buttons refuse to work if the chain counter sensor isn't working.

The up / down switch idea has merit !. Time to mark the chain I guess...

Regards

Mark.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31   #25

Boat: 450S

It's worth checking the rpm that produces the rated output of your alternator and that's the rpm to set if more spark is needed. Increasing the wattage of the windlass motor still needs to be supported by the output of the alternator, a 2000w motor would need roughly 170amps at 12volts. Consider loss of amps due inefficiencies of the alternator and the length of wiring, how much I have no idea but if you assume around 10% then the alternator needs to output about 190amps. I'm not an electrician but this is my layman's understanding....
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:50   #26

We have just replaced the entire above deck portion of our Quick windlass. The previous owner had failed to perform any maintenance and when my skipper recently took it apart for a routine check it had literally corroded to pieces inside. We were lucky to identify the problem before it failed completely - which by looking at it was very imminent.

Replacing it entailed dealing directly with Quick in Italy as it was not a part that is kept in stock and requires the factory to manufacture. Dealing with Quick directly was surprisingly efficient despite many postings to the contrary. The quotes were still relayed via the local Quick agent in Maldives and payment made to the agent - but communication was direct with Quick.

The original DN1712 was no longer made (ours is a 2011 L450) so we replaced with a DR4 top unit - almost identical and refitted without any adjustments.

We were under time constraints as very hard to anchor in Maldives without a windlass, we have 12mm chain and a 40kg Mantus anchor. I did consider replacement of the entire windlass with another make - Steve mentioned he'd considered the Lofrans X3 as an almost direct replacement. However the lead time on one was over 3 weeks and I could not wait - so went ahead with the Quick replacement (lead time 5 days, and 3 days courier).

The new part came with a new anchor chain sensor, so it's great to have an operation anchor counter again.

The windlass still stains if deeper than 15m under the load of the chain and Mantus, so may consider Steve's suggestion of increasing motor size to 2000W when the original motor finally gives in. Will also try the suggestion of increasing rev's.

So grateful as a first time boat owner to be able to leverage off the knowledge and experience of the other forum members - thanks all.
Millerslocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04   #27

For reference - replacement costs as follows:
Part was a TOP DR4 17/2000W D 12MM-13M (code FVSSTDR20D12A00) and cost was $2100 (drum and entire unit above deck)

I also purchased a new anchor chain sensor as did not know that the new part came with one included. The cost of this was $32. At least I now have a spare.

Another useful outcome of the process was that I discovered that Quick manufacture the grey rubber "button" which forms part of the Harken electric foot winch switch.

When I had tried to source these from Harken I was told they only sell the entire footswitch and not the rubber piece independently. The price for a new footswitch was $67. But I only needed the rubber.

Google search revealed that the Quick footwitch rubber was compatible - which Quick Italy confirmed - and I purchased these from Quick for just $6.50 a piece.

For reference the part description is OSP KIT RUBBER FOOT SWITCH GREY and the part number is FVSP900G0000A00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick rubber.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	155409  
Old 06-09-2017, 00:18   #28

Great info, thanks !.

How did you contact Qwik ? Email/Phone ? Any recommended person ?

Also great tip on the foot-switches !.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:15   #29

I contacted Quick via their Contact Form on the website, and within a day a Sales Agent was assigned to me and efficiently arranged for the manufacture and shipping of the part, with constant updates each day.

Prior to this I had dealt with Quick USA - Monica (Customerservice AT QuickUSA DOTcom) was excellent. She was the only person who had one in stock but the shipping time and costs for a USA to Maldives delivery was more expensive than the part itself. But if you are based closer to the USA would highly recommend Quick USA for good service and very good prices.

Have attached some images of what the inside of our windlass looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick 1.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	155450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick 2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	155451  

Old 06-09-2017, 08:27   #30

Quote:
Great info, thanks !.

How did you contact Qwik ? Email/Phone ? Any recommended person ? !.

There is a contact name and address to Quick in the posts above.

Tags
lagoon, wind, windlass