Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2007, 07:30   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Ireaney

Hallo Ireaney you are always welcome for a test sail , the worst that can happen to both of us is that we have a great sailing day.
We just build a different type of cat where we combine speed and general performance with lots of space , I do not know of any other boat or cat that features full sized bedrooms with 2 x king sized beds and a kitchen that will make many lady,s jalous

Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 07:47   #62

Hi Gideon,
Thank you for your kind offer, hopefully the 405 will be available to test sail out of Holland - is this likely? As I can easily fly to Amsterdam from Bristol.
Also when do you think the first 405 will be available?
Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 08:23   #63

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I do not know of any other boat or cat that features full sized bedrooms with 2 x king sized beds and a kitchen that will make many lady,s jalous
Haven't been on many other boats, huh?

Not sure what your criteria for a "full size bedroom" is, but king size berths are fairly common and 2X king size berths are fairly common on cats. But, all the boats I've been on don't have "kitchens" whatsoever, so you've got me there...... Is that the same as a galley?

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 08:28   #64

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Easy there! I found that sailing jargon is the hardest things for non english speakers (or english speakers for that matter) to pick up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post

Not sure what your criteria for a "full size bedroom" is, but king size berths are fairly common and 2X king size berths are fairly common on cats. But, all the boats I've been on don't have "kitchens" whatsoever, so you've got me there...... Is that the same as a galley?

Dave
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 08:37   #65

Fair enough, schooner, but I doubt the king size bed claim isn't a translation issue........

Dave
Old 17-10-2007, 10:23   #66
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If someone really wants a Lagoon 440, check out this eBay listing:

eBay Motors: Catamaran 2005 Lagoon 440' Hybrid Electric (item 220158501219 end time Oct-18-07 14:44:41 PDT)

TaoJones
Old 17-10-2007, 11:31   #67

2Hulls, the way I interpret fastcat435's comments about 2 king size beds and a large kitchen (galley) that will make ladies jealous, was that the type of catamaran that he sails or is involved in the production of, are, fast lighter weight performance cruising catamarans and not the heavy weight charter cats and is therefore saying that his catamarans can still offer very good accomodations but also give great performance, but maybe my understanding is wrong, who knows.
When it comes to sailing jargon, well that's another issue altogether, have a look at Denny Desoutter's book called Boatwords which has 1500 in all related to boating words etc and many in my opinion unnecessary.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 00:06   #68
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

King sized beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post

Dave
Good Morning Dave

A california king sized bed is 6 ft 6 wide and 7 ft 4 inches in lenght
I have yet to see a king sized bed on any Yacht smaller than 90 Ft including Catana,s and a kitchen is the equivalent of a galley
I have had many enjoyable sail trip on a Catana 471 and they are good cats , The beds are on the small size but for French people big enough given their average lenght

Greetings
Old 18-10-2007, 00:14   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ireaney

we are presently finalizing the design in March and will start building the plug in June
Expect the first unit out in the spring of 2009 , I have learned with boat building not to be to optimistic regarding the to time it takes to get the first one out .
The 405 will only be available in the Green Motion version and all other models , the New 545 and the 435 will also only be available as green "Cats"
The weight prognosis for the 405 will be 3800 kilo in the water ready to sail and for the 545 it will be 8000 kilo.s Both these cats will feature California King sized beds
or 1.80 x 2.20 meters 6 ft x 7 ft 4 inches and will be build in the vector K method
with Vacuum epoxy infusion . What will be new in the way we build these cats is that we will no longer use glassfiber but are switching to basalt Fibre , 30 % stronger so even less weight.and yes we will have a demonstrator in the Netherlands
greetings
Old 18-10-2007, 05:36   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
A california king sized bed is 6 ft 6 wide and 7 ft 4 inches in lenght.......
Here is a sincere recommendation.

Why not "sacrifice" some of that berth size and make a slightly smaller "island berth"? A lot of folks - me included - would prefer the capability to enter the berth from the side - or both sides - rather than climbing in from the end. This is what Lagoon did in the 440 and 500. (Recognizing this thread is supposed to be about the 440, huh? ) This was very smart on Lagoon's part, IMHO. I think the newer FPs have this config also. Fastcat would be really wise to adopt this as well. Yes, it would add some weight. You can make up for this by putting carbon masts on your boats - the real sign of a performance vessel..........

Dave
Old 18-10-2007, 12:22   #71

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
One good thing for most of us without the huge budget is that our list of suitable boats is much smaller. But we look anyway.

I too have been trying to decide on which cat for many years, and it has been a tough decision, even with the smaller list. Which compromises are most important to you?

Although the 440 isn't on my list, I have some comments.
  • Regarding the rigid bimini, it has been on my must have list. I don’t see it as a serious windage issue, unless you have the cockpit enclosed. I feel that safe, easy access to the mainsail and its equipment is important.
  • Another concern with the raised helm is the decreased communication with and access to the cockpit and saloon. Climbing up and down those stairs reminds me of a monohull.
  • An issue I haven’t seen raised with the 440 is the sharp corners. Because they don’t have the strength of rounded sections, they must be built heavier. The main concern, however is these dangerous pointed obstacles to hit when you slip.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 14:50   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
No wonder Lagoon don't specify bridgedeckclearance on their website. What would that be - 30cm? 40 maybe? Only about knee high compared to the guy in the photo, anyway.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 15:47   #73

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'
Talking Beauty is in the Eye's of the Beholder!

To those of you decrying the Lagoon 440's speed, let me direct you to the most recent ARC results this past fall. The winning boat, out of a field of 23 multi-hulls, was a Lagoon 440 named Queen of Hearts. She covered the 2,680 nm course from Las Palmas, Canary Islands, to St. Lucia, in 11 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds. That, ladies and gentlement, is an average speed of 9.84 knots.

Our new 440 is curently on its way here from the factory. We plan to use it for daysailing in the Hilton Head, SC area, coastal cruising and sailing the boat to the BVI's in the winters. We use our boat a great deal as a ministry to fellow Christian Counsellors and others in ministry who might not be able to otherwise afford a vacation on board such a boat. For daysailing in either Port Royal or Calibogue Sounds, we will be able to easily accommodate 15 (or more) people, without anyone feeling cramped. The wrongly much maligned fly-bridge helm easily seats four or five. The forward cockpit adds five or six more. The aft cockpit six or seven and the trampoline/bow seats can add a few more if required.

From an entertainment standpoint, the fly-bridge helm allows the aft cockpit to be fully used as an outdoor extension of the very roomy salon. To be sure, any cat (indeed, any boat) is a compromise. That's the beauty of the free market system we enjoy. Lagoon must have done something right. Our boat is hull #263. Show me any other boat of this size and price, mono or cat, that even comes close to this many boats in four years.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
The new ORANA 44!!!!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30   #75

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
To those of you decrying the Lagoon 440's speed, let me direct you to the most recent ARC results this past fall. The winning boat, out of a field of 23 multi-hulls, was a Lagoon 440 named Queen of Hearts. She covered the 2,680 nm course from Las Palmas, Canary Islands, to St. Lucia, in 11 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds. That, ladies and gentlement, is an average speed of 9.84 knots.
You are quite correct that the 440 finished first in division but you have misread the results page (easy to do) The 11 in the 'finished' column actually means they finished on the 11th December. If you go over to the 'Corr.' you'll see that their corrected time is 16 days 17 hours. Divide that by the Time Correction Factor 1.007 and you get an actual crossing time of approx 16 days 14 hours. Still a very commendable time.

I do the position tracking software for the ARC... but not the layout for the rather confusing results table so it isn't my fault!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440