Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 22:24   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
just hit a new top speed in the lagoon 440 last night.17.9 knots SOG in 31 knots of wind at about 130Deg.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08   #62
Marine Service Provider

speed

we hit 20.1 on a Leopard 46' during the Carib 1500 ralley.

this was on a fully overloaded yacht !

Peter Wiersema
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	364.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	21620  
catabroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 22:09   #63
Marine Service Provider

Hi,
as i am deliverie captain i was crossing several 440 to US and i can say compare to others catamarans that this one is really comfortable and safe, and performances are honnest.
Pierre
cw2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 23:41   #64
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
just hit a new top speed in the lagoon 440 last night.17.9 knots SOG in 31 knots of wind at about 130Deg.
...AND IT WAS A REAL HOOT!!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29   #65

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 440 Performance ?

I am the proud owner of Elektra I, the Canadian Lagoon 440 that did the 2011 ARC. Anyone who thinks these cats are slow does not know what they are talking about! "Apartment block" my ass!

We crossed the Atlantic in 16 days, had a top speed of 16.3knots and had several 200nm days. All in the safety and comfort of this beautiful designed cat. During the night we were constantly slowing her down, never had to work hard for speed. The other 440 finished ahead of us and second overall! Both of us finished well ahead of Catana 47s. Not that the ARC it is a race!

If you want to know more about the performance check out the polars on Twixters web site: Twixter - Home and check out who designed the 440
VPLP Yacht Design - Welcome
Yes, the same firm that designed "BMW Oracle" and many other fine racing cats. My ignorance as a “blue water sailor” was nicely compensated for by a well designed and constructed yacht. As for the “fly bridge”, many do not like the feel in big seas and high winds. I have not experienced this and prefer the commanding view from the fly bridge, especially when one has to maneuver in some tight moorings! We have the interior motor control option and the autopilot has a remote control so you always have options of where and how to control the boat. We have 15,000nm on our 440 and many more to go!

So if you are not in love with a specific “design or build” than I would recommend checking out the 440 and chartering the cats you have on your short list. Our first experience on a 440 was a charter in the BVIs. After a week aboard we were sold!

Another fellow on this thread did say that you always "cruise" and speed was not an issue. We found this to be so true. In the windward islands we would slow the boat down all the time. Speed was never an issue while cruising these islands and I suspect it won’t be in the Leewards either.

Hope this information is helpful with you research and purchase.

Happy sailing!
smcauley440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 16:36   #66
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcauley440 View Post
I am the proud owner of Elektra I, the Canadian Lagoon 440 that did the 2011 ARC.
We assume that's a fairly recent purchase smcauley? If so,welcome to the L440 owners'!

In any event, we can endorse everything you said. Of course we're in the already-converted bag, but seriously...

There are plenty who criticise the L440 (and other designs) from not entirely impartial perspectives. Competitors and 'purists' spring to mind. We may be biased toward the L440, but at least we (like smcauley) speak from experience with now ~18000nm on our L440.

With vessels it really is a matter of each to their own. After a reasonably exhaustive search before our purchase, we came to understand all the pluses and minuses of each vessel's design. For us, the L440 was a 'category killer'. There just wasn't anything else that came close for our intended uses...and it became just a challenge to find a good one at the right value. Of course we accept that the L440 is not designed for racing, but there are a LOT of sailors (like us!) whose real reason to be out there is to relax and enjoy the beauty of the sea and various seaside landfalls in safety and comfort....and moving along quickly when passage-making is part of the fun!

Are there ANY L440 owners out there who would disagree with smcauley in any material respect?
Old 11-08-2012, 18:33   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Totally agree.
It is amazing how many self appointed experts there are around that have never been on a 440 let alone got one going in the open ocean.
Great machine.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 13:04   #68

Hi D&D and Dirkdig: we purchased our 2008 440 over in Kos Greece just about two years ago and keep learning more about her each time we take her out. Excellent accommodations, space and sailing for the two of us and just about as big as we would want to go. Otherwise I think we would need crew to help!
She is currently in the caribbean and we are waiting to return to her once the summer ends in Canada. The plan is to sail the leewards for the next season. Can't cash in all the chips just yet. Hopefully in a few years then over to the west coast and off to the pacific. Well that is the plan! You guys?
Regards
Scott
smcauley440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:02   #69

Quote:
I am the proud owner of Elektra I, the Canadian Lagoon 440 that did the 2011 ARC. Anyone who thinks these cats are slow does not know what they are talking about! "Apartment block" my ass!

We crossed the Atlantic in 16 days, had a top speed of 16.3knots and had several 200nm days. All in the safety and comfort of this beautiful designed cat. During the night we were constantly slowing her down, never had to work hard for speed. The other 440 finished ahead of us and second overall! Both of us finished well ahead of Catana 47s. Not that the ARC it is a race!

If you want to know more about the performance check out the polars on Twixters web site: Twixter - Home and check out who designed the 440
VPLP Yacht Design - Welcome
Yes, the same firm that designed "BMW Oracle" and many other fine racing cats. My ignorance as a “blue water sailor” was nicely compensated for by a well designed and constructed yacht. As for the “fly bridge”, many do not like the feel in big seas and high winds. I have not experienced this and prefer the commanding view from the fly bridge, especially when one has to maneuver in some tight moorings! We have the interior motor control option and the autopilot has a remote control so you always have options of where and how to control the boat. We have 15,000nm on our 440 and many more to go!

So if you are not in love with a specific “design or build” than I would recommend checking out the 440 and chartering the cats you have on your short list. Our first experience on a 440 was a charter in the BVIs. After a week aboard we were sold!

Another fellow on this thread did say that you always "cruise" and speed was not an issue. We found this to be so true. In the windward islands we would slow the boat down all the time. Speed was never an issue while cruising these islands and I suspect it won’t be in the Leewards either.

Hope this information is helpful with you research and purchase.

Happy sailing!
Today we were anchored in a bay on the Nth Western side of the old city of TROGIR in Croatia, Split radio issued a wind warning for 40 knots NE to NW. We were essentially ok if NE but on a lee shore if there was West in it.

You guessed it it came from the West so we up-anchored and motored into it to get into the lee of the mainland, at present we are baby sitting our 6 and 4 year grandchildren on board whilst their dad visits Ibiza.

The grandkids must wear life jackets whilst we move, they have been taught to enjoy swimming in them and we have retrieved them by boathook making a game of it so if it ever happens they won't panic.

Anyweay today didnt come to any rescue, we motored into 45knots of steep choppy crap, LI-LO'S blew past us like leaves, even small RIB's without motors were flying on their mooring.

We were in the upper helm position the kid's were roaring with laughter, oblivious to the chop and very strong wind heeling the 50 foot bare pole Beneteau mono's at 20deg or more.

This often de-rided upper helm position (by the armchair critics) is fantastic, you see the squalls, the floating debris and the waves to angle to, decision confirmed we love it.
The kids? No green gills just total glee watching the storm and the goings on.....Good stuff!
We will do ARC 2014, Cheers Frank
Old 28-08-2012, 14:57   #70
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi D&D and Dirkdig: we purchased our 2008 440 over in Kos Greece just about two years ago and keep learning more about her each time we take her out. Excellent accommodations, space and sailing for the two of us and just about as big as we would want to go. Otherwise I think we would need crew to help!
She is currently in the caribbean and we are waiting to return to her once the summer ends in Canada. The plan is to sail the leewards for the next season. Can't cash in all the chips just yet. Hopefully in a few years then over to the west coast and off to the pacific. Well that is the plan! You guys?
Regards
Scott
Agree with all that too Scott.

As for plans, we did "cash in all the chips" a while back, just prior to buying CatNirvana and sailing her out to OZ from Italy in 2011, and we're now sailing the OZ coast using her as a 'floating gallery' exhibiting a wide range of (mostly fun, some serious) gear for sale that we call 'cruising comforts', i.e. things that make life on a cruising vessel more comfortable. The business is intended to keep us amused in our retirements...and maybe even pay for a bit of our vessel costs!?! Of course many of our items are also suited to life on land, but they're all used and enjoyed by us on CatNirvana. Google Floating Impressions if you want a peek...or check out (and 'Like'!) our Facebook Page.

Fair winds & following seas mate,

D&D
Old 28-08-2012, 16:14   #71

Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We hit 21 Knots speed crossing the Atlantic which is higher than the rated maximum top speed for a Lagoon 440. We had one of the Quantum sail manufacturers guys on board with us ... excited about it !!! It's recorded on our blog at the time Fully loaded boat with 6KG washing machine / drying machine, all food for a crossing, Generator set installed, full diesel which we never used, Full water tanks, water maker etc. etc. - cannot be heavier in the water and yet that was our top speed!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:12   #72
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We hit 21 Knots speed crossing the Atlantic
CatNirvana was >21kn three times, once coming across the top of NZ and twice crossing Bass Strait...all probably a bit too thrilling and something not to be pursued, but neverthess feeling safe. No washing machine for us, but otherwise also full cruising weight. She is, as we say, a great swimmer!
Old 28-08-2012, 18:56   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
CatNirvana was >21kn three times, once coming across the top of NZ and twice crossing Bass Strait...all probably a bit too thrilling and something not to be pursued, but neverthess feeling safe. No washing machine for us, but otherwise also full cruising weight. She is, as we say, a great swimmer!
Wow ... that's awesome ... nice to have confirmation of that speed!
Old 28-08-2012, 20:00   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
The steering was hard work. I don't know if this is typical for a catamaran's this size or for the Lagoon 440 in specific but it was something that felt peculiar.
In our own style and our own time ...
www.catamaranimpi.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
Old 28-08-2012, 20:07   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Don't worry about the performance. When you are cruising, cruise!! I spend more time thinking about slowing my boat down than I do about trying to go faster and it is hardly a 'performance' boat.

One thing about the Lagoon 440 though... Do you really want to sit all the way up at that helm a howling gale and 20 ft seas? I wouldn't.
Hi Mike,

You need to try and sail slower because you are an 'old salty dog' ... sailed around the world and I think it's your personal experience and skill that does that more than any boat.

As for sitting up on the helm ... I have to tell you that I would NOT have it any other way ... and Ana and I have been in some pretty serious stuff! One does not have to be up at the helm ... can steer from inside!

My personal take on 'upstairs helm stations' is that we are going to see more and more production yachts going this route ...

Just my thoughts

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440