Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 14:30   #1

Lagoon 421 water concerns?

I've been researching boats for couple years. Seems the 421 (2008-2011) fits my needs for budge, size, space, comfort, acceptable sailing, blue water, storage, etc. They usually come with about 159 gallons/600Liter for fuel which should be sufficient.

However, water is listed as only 80-90 gallons/350 liters. Even with a watermaker, it seems this is a bit short for off the grid sailing to destinations without water and living off the hook (circumnavigation). Obviously a watermaker is the answer, but seems you will run it every 3-4 days. I know you need to use watermakers to keep it exercised or pickle the membranes. I was hopping to only use a watermaker once every couple weeks, or slightly more often, if I had 200 gallons of water capacity, but 90 gallons is way short.

Water capacity seems to be my only grief with my selection of the 421. I've looked at others, Leopards, FP Orana 44, etc. The 421 will be my boat of choice likely.

What do you live aboard L421 owners do with the water situation?
-Careful use?
-Make water every few days? I'll be a retired couple.
-Gather rain water? (if so, where do you put it?)
-Have fitted larger tanks or extra tanks?

I'll be sailing with my wife. I'm thrifty with water, by my wife likes to shower often.

What is your water usage?
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:19   #2
DK2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 421 water concerns?

At the end of the day your water usage would be the same whether the tank was 90 gall or 200 gall, the only difference is how often you will replenish it. So you might run the watermaker more often, but it won’t run for so long.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:50   #3

Guess that is true!
I was wanting to not have to clean the watermaker so often, but sitting in anchorages on the hook, what better things are there to do? Maybe 90 isn't so bad.
Old 18-04-2019, 16:16   #4

The best thing for water makers is being used regularly. If you use it every day or every other day you don’t need back flushing or cleaning.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 16:23   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Robert is correct. You really don't want to wait two weeks between watermaker usage. Download a manual or two for various watermakers and they will explain why. I prefer a 12 volt watermaker because I don't want to also be relying on a generator. They typically make 15 ghp. To fill a 200 gallon tank would have you running for more than 10 hours. 110 less gallons of water also makes your cat 800 pounds lighter. Go for it!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 17:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Lagoon 421 water concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Guess that is true!
I was wanting to not have to clean the watermaker so often, but sitting in anchorages on the hook, what better things are there to do? Maybe 90 isn't so bad.

What do you mean clean the Watermaker so often?

As has been stated whether a 200 gl tank or a 50 gl tank your water usage is the same, so hours of water maker operation will be the same. Maintenance will be the same.
We have a 160 gl tank, and run the Watermaker every three days, there is nothing to clean.
Interesting, we only have 57 gl of fuel tank though. Wonder why a sailboat has a 160 gl fuel tank?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 19:00   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

160 gl fuel tank is too small if you are planning on doing the Baja Bash. (only kidding a bit)
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:34   #8

to the OP, we have approx 145gallons, run the water maker every second day to keep them topped up - rarely run them to empty unless cleaning the tank- reverse flush once a fortnight, change raw filter once every two months. Been doing this for 5 years - water maker runs fine. The only big issues with smaller capacity tankage are:
1. When the water is too silty/muddy etc (eg US East Coast estuaries) and big harbours generally,then having made water offshore you may need to fill up with dock water more often which can be a pain and expensive in some places
2. Long passages - eg crossing the pacific and for some reason the water maker fails early on in the crossing. In that case I would be tempted to run it daily to ensure full tanks all the time and not let them run down, and/or carry a bladder tank(s). Catching rainwater is also an option.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 19:59   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420

Had our 2007 L 420 for just over 3 years, mostly live aboard. We talk in Litres here in Oz, just like the French! You guys quoting US Gal or Imperial? To the standard 2 x 175 L the boat came with an aftermarket extra 180 L water tank. Over 500 L lasts a long time with care, with just two aboard. Watermaker had not been used for some time when we took over, and we have never even started it up, as pickling had been done properly we were told! With safe and good quality water, usually free, readily available here don’t see the need for a water Maker for us! Mind you we are Coastal Cruisers who don’t mind a few days at any Marinas on the journey. Playing with rainwater catching as well, deck design catches a good amount if you block off deck drains near the water fill points, and channel the roof water a bit. Works well as long as it rains! Think about your intended usage, and seek many opinions , then you decide! Good luck!
PiratePete56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 20:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
to the OP, we have approx 145gallons, run the water maker every second day to keep them topped up - rarely run them to empty unless cleaning the tank- reverse flush once a fortnight, change raw filter once every two months. Been doing this for 5 years - water maker runs fine. The only big issues with smaller capacity tankage are:
1. When the water is too silty/muddy etc (eg US East Coast estuaries) and big harbours generally,then having made water offshore you may need to fill up with dock water more often which can be a pain and expensive in some places
2. Long passages - eg crossing the pacific and for some reason the water maker fails early on in the crossing. In that case I would be tempted to run it daily to ensure full tanks all the time and not let them run down, and/or carry a bladder tank(s). Catching rainwater is also an option.

Good points, thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 20:55   #11

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

We have a 2010 L421. It has the extra water tanks, effectively doubling our capacity to 700l. Instead of two 175l tanks, there are four. The two in each hull are connected, so effectively 2 bigger tanks. We like the extra capacity. If you wish I would think you should be able to source the extra tanks. But I must tell you, 700 l is a lot, even with a washing machine aboard. We almost exclusively anchor out. Currently in the W Caribbean. We run the watermaker almost every day - we have a 12v 50l/hr Aquabase. Very quiet. It’s simpler to just keep up with water demand rather than have a big production over fewer days.
We love our condomaran!
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 00:52   #12

simpler to just keep up with water demand rather than have a big production over fewer days.
Thanks. Sounds like most don't really get bothered by smaller tanks.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:04   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

We have a 400S2 with optional watertank to 600l and 100l/h watermaker 12/240V.

Two people on board, consumption per day 100l if the washing machine is not running, else 160...200l per day. We run our watermaker usually every day, except it is cloudy or the water outside is murky.

We use to topp off our tank, so it is almost always full. Having visitors, we calculate 50l per person per day.

We can usually go 5 days without making water, but then the watermaker runs 5 hours and the batteries were not charged much from solar. It takes 2 more days of sunshine to get back to normal.

The watermaker draws about 70A. Solar delivers usually up to 100A, but often one or more panels are shaded by lines, mast or the boom, so efficiently we get 70..80A from solar.

We do not run the generator and cook also on electricity, having a Lithium bank of 1000Ah.

600l means 600kg extra weight, the tanks are up front in the nascelle, so on short passages it maybe wise to have the tank half empty and make water underway with some redundancy. The. 421 has the tanks in the bilges what seems much better.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:22   #14

90 gallons of water, supplement with 90 + gallons of beer and you have doubled your hydration capacity.

And you get to enjoy singing this grand song about 99 different labels of your favorite beer on the wall.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 12:28   #15

Great info CatNewBee. How much solar do you have on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
We have a 400S2 with optional watertank to 600l and 100l/h watermaker 12/240V.

Two people on board, consumption per day 100l if the washing machine is not running, else 160...200l per day. We run our watermaker usually every day, except it is cloudy or the water outside is murky.

We use to topp off our tank, so it is almost always full. Having visitors, we calculate 50l per person per day.

We can usually go 5 days without making water, but then the watermaker runs 5 hours and the batteries were not charged much from solar. It takes 2 more days of sunshine to get back to normal.

The watermaker draws about 70A. Solar delivers usually up to 100A, but often one or more panels are shaded by lines, mast or the boom, so efficiently we get 70..80A from solar.

We do not run the generator and cook also on electricity, having a Lithium bank of 1000Ah.

600l means 600kg extra weight, the tanks are up front in the nascelle, so on short passages it maybe wise to have the tank half empty and make water underway with some redundancy. The. 421 has the tanks in the bilges what seems much better.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, water