Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-10-2006, 12:09   #91
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Gokcin --

Thanks for the comments and pic's. Couple Questions: What the heck's the big green thing in the first photo? Where is it? Is the silver (looks insulated) pipe in picture #4 an air conditioning duct? If not, what is it?

The washing machine location was fully expected, and actually it makes sense, there.

Picture #6 -- looks like a pantry? Where is that in the boat? What do the switches/panel shown control?

Thanks.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 16:08   #92

Boat: Lagoon 420
Id,

I reckon the big green thing is a diesel tank and the insulated pipe is an aircon duct. Picture #6 is trickier. This looks like it may be the storage area that lies behind the sliding door (the door that closes off the hull to the salon). If this is right then the Annapolis boat didn't have switched here - it was open and provided access to the salon aircon.

Steve
Old 30-10-2006, 00:31   #93

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi
We are in France and are heading down to La Rochelle, but we are having trouble getting help or a response of any kind from the factory. We were told that our broker set this up with Frederick, but we have not heard back from him.
For those of you who have visited, who did you talk to? Do you have a name or phone number of someone who is more availalble at the factory?

THank you.

Wendi
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 01:18   #94

http://www.multihulls-world.com/us/n...arche--22.html

There is the first test of a magazin.... (see the link above). Doesn't sound to bad, although one has to keep in mind, that the mag is probably a "bit dependant" of the manufacturers...

But any good news is good...

As far as the tax problem is concerned from what I learned it is, that the time-period that is granted to us is dependent on the country-laws of the country where you buy the boat. e.g. France, U.K., Spain (U.K. giving you 6 months, France I am not sure yet...)

The 18months when reentering the EU is due to EU-laws. So the main question should be: how many months do the French grant us... Please share any information on that subject....

For us it´s the same than for any of you. If we don`t get the boat in July as scheduled, we will probably skip to March or April 2008 in order not to get into a rush. Our plans are, to first spend some time in the med (1 or 2 years)...

Don K.
Don K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:29   #95

Magazine Reviews

Nice article. Good to see they had the propulsion working. The article reinforces what those of us who have seen the boat said in that the interior is roomy. I may just have to go and buy the magazine now to get my next 420 fix.
Old 30-10-2006, 11:28   #96
CF Adviser

Steve ---

A diesel tank at that location (above waterline, on extreme port side) just doesn't make sense. If it was, I would certainly want more than 1 webbed belt holding it in place! Way too big for an A/C system, but the ducting would certainly imply that.

The ducting through the hanging closet is just unacceptable. Gotta be a better way.

From what I've gathered from the photos (haven't seen one in person, yet, and won't until Miami in Feb), there are switches and panels spread all over this boat. Probably even more fuses/breakers tucked away in obscure places. I also understand from other Lagoon owners that the factory is NOT at ALL good about distributing wiring schematics. So, as a suggestion, one of the things us owners should consider doing is developing our own for sharing.

I really, really like the idea of a spare parts co-op of some kind. I know that I'm going to want to assemble at least one each of the essentials in the system to keep in a Faraday cage tucked away somewhere on the boat.

One other question: in the Lagoon CAD drawings, on the owner's layout they show what looks to be a pretty large storage space in the port forward hull, behind the cabinet in the head. In the charter layout, this would where the port forward berth would be located. It looks like it would be accessible from a hatch in the foredeck. I haven't heard anyone mention this space: What's it look like? How big? Anything in there? Is it actually useful? Any pics?

As always, thank you very much.

ID

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 30-10-2006, 11:52   #97

Boat: Still Looking
Hi Mowatt family, Had not heard of the optional skipper's berth, I would be interested in that. Can you provide any more information on that please??
Hope to see on a wave sometime, good luck!
Thanks, Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 12:15   #98

Hi Windy, I was told by my broker, Rod Gibbons of Cursing Cats America: http://www.cruisingcatsusa.com/ that we could take delivery on the west coast, east coast or France. France was $30K less than west coast. But you will find all this out when you get there! If yours is a month or so before mine and you decide to take it at the factory, let me know if you need any crew! I’d like to get some 420 experience B-4 I get mine and head out for my planned west circumnavigation. Steve M.
The first solar energy driven cat. (No sails)
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061019-solar.html
Old 30-10-2006, 12:18   #99

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
At the UK Southampton boatshow back in September we were supposed to see the 420 but for some reason or another it wasn't available. Instead they brought a 440 but with the electric engines!
This boat was 18 months old and had been their development platform for the electric engines.
So to put some of your minds to rest they have had the e-drives and have been testing them in a similar boat for quite some time before releasing the 420 to the market.
The teething problems with the first few hulls smack to me of very tight deadlines for product release. All of the major shows around the globe are normally around the latter part of the year so they would have to build at least 3 or maybe 4 hulls to satisfy the shows. I wouldn't look at them freighting the boat to the US as a problem with the boat, merely a lack of time to prep it properly for a trans-atlantic crossing.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 12:27   #100

Hi Guys, when we were at the show I ask Nick about that grean thing, and he said it was a holding tank for the head and they were thinking of moving it. Steve M.
Old 30-10-2006, 12:35   #101
CF Adviser

Thank you, Steve! Yes, I think moving a holding tank that was mounted in such a place would be a great idea. Having one fail, even when in the bilge, is bad enough. Having one fail that also gets to spew the contents all over the place, too? Bad idea.

Thanks, again.

ID

Old 30-10-2006, 12:58   #102

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Optional skipper's berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem4u
... Had not heard of the optional skipper's berth, I would be interested in that. Can you provide any more information on that please??
Hi Steve

The optional skipper's berth hasn't been very well publicised. We saw it on the options list supplied by a French broker. We requested it when we ordered from Ancasta, UK. I haven't been told what it consists of, but I think it is a single berth amidships accessed through a foredeck hatch. I believe it also includes an additional heads in the starboard bow section. As the name implies, it is the berth for a charter skipper so that it frees up all four cabins for paying guests. We thought it would provide an extra guest berth for us and, if we decide to charter, will enhance the earning potential.

Chris
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 17:14   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter
One other question: in the Lagoon CAD drawings, on the owner's layout they show what looks to be a pretty large storage space in the port forward hull, behind the cabinet in the head. In the charter layout, this would where the port forward berth would be located. It looks like it would be accessible from a hatch in the foredeck. I haven't heard anyone mention this space: What's it look like? How big? Anything in there? Is it actually useful? Any pics?
I don't have any photos but can describe a little. There is a storage space and it's only available from the deck via a hatch that matches the hatch over the starboard forward berth. It's quite spacious as there is no bed below and you therefore get the entire depth. Getting in and out looks a bit awkward and of the hatch limits the size of what you can put in there. Nevertheless I am sure it can be put to good use - particularly if some shelving can be put in.

I stand corrected on the holding tank.

Steve
Old 31-10-2006, 09:04   #104

Adaero:
Did U see this? The developer of the electric motors for this now is with Lagoon, Below is 'Waypoint' a Lagoon 410, the first electric catamaran to cross the Atlantic.
http://www.solomontechnologies.com/t...ric_lagoon.htm
Old 02-11-2006, 08:23   #105
CF Adviser

My dealer confirmed that the "big green thing" is, indeed, a holding tank and there is another one on the starboard side in a panel behind the aft shower stall. He says that they are actually much better than the aluminum tanks they used to install -- much more resistant to leaks (that's good) and they empty easier.

On another note, I just downloaded the latest pricing from Catamarans.com. Lord-a-mercy how the prices have gone up! Doing a side-by-side comparison with the boat as I ordered it - $108K increase for 2008 delivery. Glad I ordered it when I did.

ID

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420