Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-09-2007, 21:15   #811

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
I was being sarcastic. You are supposed to be on a ball or a hook by 16:00 hours.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 03:18   #812

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
I know you were being sarcastic. But just because badger was being badgeristic doesn't mean you have to meet him at that level. It brings down the whole quality of these forums. Let's be nice. I think that this was the first time you responded in kind and well, let's just not go there.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 04:06   #813
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren View Post
Or, it may be just the thing for you. I bought my Lagoon 380 before the first one was built and have never regretted it. Some people are "early adopters", some people expect everything to be exactly as they envision it. Both approaches are fine and frankly needed in any endeavor. I think the important thing is to realize to what degree you're in either camp and go with what you enjoy.
An Early Adopter is a person who embraces new technology before most other people do. Early adopters, while eager to explore new options in technology, are not the most daring, and are not especially prone to taking risks. That role, according to Everett Rogers (*1), is played by a small minority (1 in 40) of people called Innovators.

*1. In his book “Diffusion of Innovations” (*2), Rogers stated that adopters of any new innovation or idea could be categorized as innovators (2.5%), early adopters (13.5%), early majority (34%), late majority (34%) and laggards (16%), based on a bell curve. Each adopter's willingness and ability to adopt an innovation would depend on their awareness, interest, evaluation, trial, and adoption.

*2. The study of how, why, and at what rate new ideas and technology spread through cultures.

Characteristics of Innovators & Early Adapters:
Target Market - Innovators, Early Adoptors, Influencers
and:
http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/digit98/panel2.pdf

Further reading:

Diffusion of Innovations, by Everett Rogers (1995)

Innovation adoption curve of Rogers - Innovators, Early Adopters, Early Majority, Late Majority, Laggards - innovations diffusion change model

Diffusion of Innovations Theory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rogers_adoption_innovation_curve.gif
Views:	132
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	1857  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 08:22   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2wind View Post
I was being sarcastic. You are supposed to be on a ball or a hook by 16:00 hours.
Do you always do what you're supposed to?

The only reason to be on a ball or hook by 16:00 is if your an alcoholic out for an early start.

We had a few 12 hour days........
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 11:05   #815

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
Do you always do what you're supposed to?

The only reason to be on a ball or hook by 16:00 is if your an alcoholic out for an early start.

We had a few 12 hour days........
Hey, I resemble that remark!
When chartering in the BVI's:
I always stick with just light beer until moored for the day, well, we have snuck in a few bloody mary's from time to time!

Securely moored for the day, time for the higher octane stuff!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 14:36   #816

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
Are you deliberately setting out to offend more and more cruisers? What about the folks who want to take a hike before sundown? Or those who want to snorkel or even read a book while they wait for dinner? Families with kids who want to play on the beach. Alcoholics the lot of them by your reckoning.

And then there's socializing amongst cruisers - Ok - sorry - they are a bunch of alcoholics. I stand corrected.
Old 24-09-2007, 15:24   #817

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!
When chartering in the BVI's:
I always stick with just light beer until moored for the day, well, we have snuck in a few bloody mary's from time to time!

Securely moored for the day, time for the higher octane stuff!
Great photos saildoggie. Looks like your family had a great time.
Old 24-09-2007, 15:35   #818

Boat: now floating easy37
on the subject of alcohol while on anchor or moored, dont do it in aus unless you leave a qualified boat driver sober, the police can still and will come aboard and breathealyze you while at anchor and will book you if you are over the limit
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 20:55   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
Are you deliberately setting out to offend more and more cruisers? What about the folks who want to take a hike before sundown? Or those who want to snorkel or even read a book while they wait for dinner? Families with kids who want to play on the beach. Alcoholics the lot of them by your reckoning.

And then there's socializing amongst cruisers - Ok - sorry - they are a bunch of alcoholics. I stand corrected.

Just following the lead of sarcasm..........
Actually the only thing offensive on the whole trip was having to pay to be on your boat.........we should have been paid to be lagoon's lab rats.
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 22:48   #820

Boat: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
*1. In his book “Diffusion of Innovations” (*2), Rogers stated that adopters of any new innovation or idea could be categorized as innovators (2.5%), early adopters (13.5%), early majority (34%), late majority (34%) and laggards (16%), based on a bell curve. Each adopter's willingness and ability to adopt an innovation would depend on their awareness, interest, evaluation, trial, and adoption.
I'm not a big fan of folks fitting everything onto a bell curve. Just saying that the group of people who adopt a technology do so in a random distribution with a mathematic first and second deviation doesn't really say much, in my opinion. Indeed, I don't really see why the central limit theorem would even apply. But I'm not an expert in statistics.

In any case, I didn't say, or mean to say, early adopters were more risk prone or the most daring. They are, however, more visionary and more willing to accept iteration in delivery as they keep their eye on the prize. The prize being the enjoyment and recognition of being an early adopter and being ahead of the pack when/if the technology pays off. Later adopters are more prone to instant gratification or, of course, dissatisfaction.
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 23:56   #821
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie View Post
Well I've watched the cat mono debate long enough to have a bit of a clue about the load carrying ability of cats. And I've seen you cat guys defend them.

But, hell, if owning a cat's gonna limit me to light beer I'm sticking to monos...

Debate over!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 12:01   #822

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
on the subject of alcohol while on anchor or moored, dont do it in aus unless you leave a qualified boat driver sober, the police can still and will come aboard and breathealyze you while at anchor and will book you if you are over the limit
sean
Australia has just been crossed off my list.

Unless there are boat boys that will take over the cockpit for the night of the party (every night?). How much are they?

One could coordinate with police and make quite a living that way.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 12:02   #823

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

But, hell, if owning a cat's gonna limit me to light beer I'm sticking to monos...

Debate over!
HA!

Old 25-09-2007, 15:53   #824
DtM

Therapy,

Your loss
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 17:43   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
Therapy,

Your loss
Sorry,

You lost me.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420