Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 18:59   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Our original plan (assuming a July delivery) was to finish outfitting in August, harbor-hop through Spain and Portugal, to Madeira and Canaries and join the ARC, leaving the Canaries in late November for St Lucia.

We are not looking to try and rush ourselves. After all, it is supposed to be a cruise. So, summer in the Med sounds much better than November in Biscay.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:59   #47

Boat: Still Looking
Hi Daniel, If I can put this high power solar project together in time and find someone qualified to go with me, (one of my brokers volunteered cpt, Nick of Lagoon USA says “no, we need him” we’ll see.) Don’t expect to see her till Nov/Dec (have not had a date yet, so guess I’m right on schedule!) I’m hoping to cast off as soon as we have her outfitted and leave France to circumnavigate nonstop west via the canals. I’ll need to catch best WX both Atlantic and Caribbean waters. I’ve got Jimmy’s book but hoping for some live experience to comment!
Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03   #48

Hi again Daniel, Dave Tether (The DC motors mother) told me at the show they especially designed the after ends of the hulls on the 420 to counter act the squatting effect caused by powerful motors in acceleration. (Their bottom sides are almost flat from around the props back.) He is expecting the 420 to be released some time in the future as a diesel cruiser, no sails. I also saw somewhere? you could get the 420 with diesels but no one has yet to ask for them. By the way, did you notice the escape hatches are windows now? They provide a pointed hammer to break them out. To many cases of the opening versions coming open or leaking unexpectedly and they are no longer required by law.
Steve M.
Old 12-10-2006, 18:55   #49

Boat: Lagoon 420
I noticed the escape hatches too. There is a little hammer tucked away on the side. We talked about this. I had heard that cat owners like to leave this open for ventilation knowing that if it rains, you won't get wet in the night. On the other hand, this does not make up for flooding your boat when you forget to shut it. Looking at it this way, I kind of agree. This is the sort of thing I could easily forget. I don't anticipate bailing.

Steve
Old 13-10-2006, 01:48   #50

Hi Steve,

we asked our dealer some time ago whether Lagoon would offer the 420 with diesel-engines. The answer then was not before 2008.
The last time I asked him in August or so, the answer was that they will not offer a diesel-version at all.

But you never know whether the informations given by the dealers are based on real knowledge... I also remember that Lagoon had announced that they would offer a diesel version as an option.

If you should get any further information on this, pleas let us know.
Don K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 11:18   #51

Lagoon 420

I just came back from the Annapolis show, I was disappointed that I could not go sailing / motoring on the 420.
I noticed the Lagoon 420 was shipped to the show, so no feedback to be had from the crew.
The one in France was also unavailable to sail, someone in this forum mentioned.
Has anybody on the forum actually sailed or motored this new model?
I am new to the forum, I look forward to hearing about other people's experience on the 420.
Frank Artville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 03:20   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Artville
I just came back from the Annapolis show, I was disappointed that I could not go sailing / motoring on the 420.
I noticed the Lagoon 420 was shipped to the show, so no feedback to be had from the crew.
The one in France was also unavailable to sail, someone in this forum mentioned.
Has anybody on the forum actually sailed or motored this new model?
I am new to the forum, I look forward to hearing about other people's experience on the 420.
Hi Frank,
I too am new to forum, the family and I only just returned back to Australia from the La Rochelle boat show. We paid our deposit last year and expect to pick up our boat May next year and sail it back to Oz. We did get to sail and motor the 420 two days after the show, had some minor problems that I'm confident that Laggoon will iron out, otherwise all went well.
Peter Vybiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 17:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Vybiral
We did get to sail and motor the 420 two days after the show
G'Day Peter,

Can you tell us more about your sail? What did it feel like under electric power? How did she handle under sail? Did you get a chance to handle the boat from the helm?

Steve
Old 18-10-2006, 05:17   #54

G'Day back to you Steve,
Batteries were not fully charged so only after a very short time the generator started up (so much for silent running), generally the boat had plenty of power and handled it self very well. The generator runs very quitely this boat was fitted with the larger gen set, which I too will be going with. We did have problems with the system suppling the surplus power to the batteries and the boat reaching full speed max about 6.5, however after some adjustments by the Lagoon people the system went well but only for a short time and then droped back again ( these are details that I'm confident they will resolve before long). The wind on the day was only light 10-12 and under full sail we were able to reach again 6-6.5. All in all it is an excellant boat smooth through the water with a slow and steady motion. I got the impression that it would handle well in a bigger sea and with out excessive slamming. But I would recommend the larger gen set as the smaller one would only just meet the needs and end up beening flogged. We also motored the boat under batteries for a time and it went well, as a person that has been on boats for the most of my life I have to admit it's very very strange experience moving through the water without the sound of an engine.

See ya,
Peter
Old 18-10-2006, 10:19   #55

Hi Guys,
They had the generator compartment open when I was at the show, and I was told they had not had the time to put in the extra sound insulation B4 shipping, (or missed it?) and it will be included on their other boats. So unless that got done be4 the sail, what you heard is max sound from the Onan’s shielding only, they claim that those with the planned additional insulation will be even better.
Steve M.
Old 18-10-2006, 16:15   #56

Peter V - you stated you intended to sail your L420 back to Oz. Which way are you plannning to go? Are you going to blog your trip?
Old 19-10-2006, 15:31   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem4u
Hi Guys,
They had the generator compartment open when I was at the show, and I was told they had not had the time to put in the extra sound insulation B4 shipping, (or missed it?) and it will be included on their other boats. So unless that got done be4 the sail, what you heard is max sound from the Onan’s shielding only, they claim that those with the planned additional insulation will be even better.
Steve M.
Any body going to the Ft. Lauderdale show next week?? I am told the 420 will be there and MAY be available for test sails after the show.
Peter Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 01:30   #58

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Greetings fellow 420 enthusiasts. Please allow me to introduce ourselves. We are the Mowatt family from Scotland and have signed on the line for Hull number 58 - still officially due for June 2006, but we are not expecting delivery before August at the earliest. No word on any delays from our broker yet. If the delays take delivery into September, then getting across Biscay becomes more risky.

Our plans are to cross the Atlantic in November, possibly with the ARC. Winter in the Caribbean and probably return for a few months in the Med. to complete our sabbatical sailing year. We will then either sell the boat or put it out to charter.

We have six children currently aged 5 to 11. So everyone thinks we are crazy to want to sail across an ocean with six small children in a smallish boat. We've gone for the 4 cabin charter version to accommodate us and we've also gone for the optional skipper's berth to help accommodate guests and to improve the charter potential if we end up chartering her out. People also think we're crazy for choosing an untried boat, sight unseen, with a radical and unproven propulsion system. We think the risks are not as great as they seem and the economics make sense. The 420 seems the best compromise available on price, performance, accommodation, safety and grace.

Our sailing experience is limited and somewhat rusty, but we have great confidence in each others abilities and will get help when we need it.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 05:29   #59

Six children on a boat - almost a book title in itself. That's Scots courage for you. What an adventure you have planned.
Old 21-10-2006, 18:06   #60

Hi,
We plan on spending the first 12 months or so in the Med and than head slowly home across the Atlantic and follow the sun, but we have no hard and fast plans, except to enjoy the crusing life for the next few years or so.

Regards Peter

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420