Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 17:48   #76

Boat: Delta Yachts, Delta 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi

Apparently there was quite a bit of work required to resolve the problem once they got to shore ... Not sure if they could've plugged in another unit?

Brazil ... These people are the friendliest I have met ... Feel very safe and welcome ... Don't want to leave, but I am thinking of heading out to drop the hook at Jericoacua ... They say it's beautiful
Hi, I'm from Rio de Janeiro. Good to read some nice words about brazilian people! Jericoacara is really nice, but you should not leave without a sail in Angra dos Reis and Paraty which are close to Rio de Janeiro. Camamu in the south of Bahia is nice also. Another terrific place is Fernando de Noronha island. Enjoy!
Old 13-01-2012, 10:20   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Lagoon 420 or 440??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluna View Post
We were on the brink of buying a 440 because of the flybridge and now I am glad we didn't. The flybridge is great if there is a lot of people to sail the boat. If you are only two then one has to sit up there all alone and when it rains and it is cold it is no fun being exposed. Lagoons are largely sold as charter boats - big (lots of windage) spacious (lots of paying guests) and HEAVY.

With a cat the more you pay the less you get - that is weight. You pay for carbon fibres and they cost but they keep the weight down which is what counts on a cat. The lighter the better.

We chose the Orana 44. It is in fact a similar size to the 440 but much lighter and a hell of of a lot easier to sail. They are not more expensive. From the years of researching they are also the best value for money than any other cat (new) currently on the market.

Hi Aluna

I have been waiting for this day to respond to your concerns regarding the 440 as quoted by you above ... I know it was some time ago !

We sailed Cape Town (south Africa) to Fortaleza (Brazil) ... 21 days (not bad for the South Atlantic where wind counts massively more than current)...

We have sailed our 440 from Fortaleza all the way along the North coast of Brazil, to Man Of War Bay in Tobago and now to Prickly Bay in Grenada. We did Tobago to Grenada in 11 hours using only the Genoa until the last part of our journey where I put up the main sail as we wanted to anchor before dark.

Bud ... I have to tell you ... That Flybridge ... MAN ... FANTASTIC .... so glad we made this purchase having sold the Catana.

Safe ? we could'nt have felt safer !
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:42   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
One day we will find someone who has a flybridge that does not like it, one day maybe.
So far the only people that dont like them, don't actully hve one!
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 04:58   #79

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Lagoon 420 or 440 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
One day we will find someone who has a flybridge that does not like it, one day maybe.
So far the only people that dont like them, don't actully hve one!
That statement is a tautology. If they don't like them, they won't have them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 05:00   #80

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

Hi Impi
Congratulations on your successful voyage. I certainly can imagine you had a drier journey sitting up on your 440's fly-bridge than you would have had sitting on the sugar scoops of your Catana.

We left Grenada a few weeks ago. It is a great place. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 05:43   #81

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
mark, so wise.
What i shold clarify is that anyone who has had a fly has liked it and not had all of the assumed issues.
I stand corrected with my thoughts.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:08   #82

Quote:
Hi Impi
Congratulations on your successful voyage. I certainly can imagine you had a drier journey sitting up on your 440's fly-bridge than you would have had sitting on the sugar scoops of your Catana.

We left Grenada a few weeks ago. It is a great place. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Hey Aluna ... man sorry to have missed you guys ... would love to meet some of the folks we chat to on the forum.
We are aiming to hang here for a while and then start heading up through the islands ... perhaps we will meet?

I find the internet connectivity here ... 'ify' ....
Old 17-01-2012, 16:08   #83

I have been over-researching cats for two years and keep coming back to the Lagoons. What I find really remarkable is how universal a statement like this is: "Lagoon builds a great boat but once you buy it don't expect to talk to them again!" It has to be reflective of the very top management at Lagoon. What is with them? Who are they? Are they just plain stupid?
zarkmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:39   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarkmud
I have been over-researching cats for two years and keep coming back to the Lagoons. What I find really remarkable is how universal a statement like this is: "Lagoon builds a great boat but once you buy it don't expect to talk to them again!" It has to be reflective of the very top management at Lagoon. What is with them? Who are they? Are they just plain stupid?
Its not unusual to get bad service from a French company ... But then my wife is French
I can't understand Lagoons attitude ... They are very rude people if they have to honor any sort of warranty. We bought our cat through different agents in a different country, but asked Ancasta if they wouldn't mind adopting us ... They did and have made a huge difference, so if you buy one, best choose a really big agent with lots of clout like Ancasta in England ... They take no nonsense from Lagoon.
I will be buying my next cat through Ancasta for sure!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33   #85

Re: Lagoon 420 or 410?

New to the forum so not sure if this is listed in the right category. We are experienced bluewater monohullers but are now looking seriously at Lagoon 410's and 420's for extended cruising. Realize that neither one of these boats are hot rods,but are wondering if the heavier 420 is comparable in sailing ability and build to the 410 which seems to have a pretty decent track record. Any comments from owners on the pro/cons of therse boats would be apreciated.
tinsoldier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:53   #86

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012

Hi
Many cruisers are happy sitting in one place all year round and for them a 420 is an excellent choice. But, if you are serious bluewater cruisers I don't think a 420 is the boat for you. Saying that, I do know two couples who are very happy long distant 420 cruisers but they did not have much experience before their 420's.

The 420 is a very FAT cat which must suffer like all things that are fat !

I don't know the 410 but it is an older model which I believe is a bit leaner.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33   #87

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Read this.
Boat Review: Lagoon 420 | Cruising Compass
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:13   #88

Lagoon are trying every thing they can to make this move and it now looks pretty desperate with the two 75 HPs. A long way from the little electric motors they first had. When I read that they had 10-12 knots in a breeze the author of the article lost his credibility. No way unless they were grossly over clothed.
Old 06-12-2012, 13:57   #89

Aluna, he said they were doing 7 in 10-12 knots of breeze.

I was surprised at how positive this review was. It's interesting how so many armchair reviews call the 420 the slowest lagoon yet one did incredibly well in the ARC last year and everyone I have spoken to who has chartered or owned one says it keeps up with other cats they sail with.

I have only seen one with the 75hp option.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:01   #90

Quote:
Lagoon are trying every thing they can to make this move and it now looks pretty desperate with the two 75 HPs. A long way from the little electric motors they first had. When I read that they had 10-12 knots in a breeze the author of the article lost his credibility. No way unless they were grossly over clothed.
Thats because the breeze was 10 - 12 knots in which they were doing 7 knots. Please read properly before making innacurate statements
John_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420, Lagoon 440