Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 13:07   #1

Lagoon 42 - NOT 420

Anybody got a Lagoon 42, or sailed one, know someone who has one or even owned one, etc.
I would love to hear some feedback on what your opinions are to it's build quality, living aboard quality, performance etc.
I know that TPI in the States made some as well as Lagoon in France but there are very few informative reports to be found anywhere.
I alos know that there are a couple for sale on Yachtworld, but that's about it.
Thanks in advance
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 15:08   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37
Multihulls - Southwinds, March 2001 here is a reveiw from charles kanter, who is the GURU of multihulls. I know a couple of owners and they are very happy. they are sound, fast, and roomy
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 15:52   #3

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
Ian,

I've owned my TPI-built Lagoon 42 for 7 years and would be happy to share what I know.....

In general, the build quality is good - systems such as electrical, mechanical and plumbing are charterer-proof; living aboard quality is great now that we've made improvements to the salon and cockpit tables, chart table, storage, etc; we're very happy with the performance, but we also have new sails, folding props, nice bottom, etc.

You'd better ask some specific questions though or I'll ramble on forever!....

Tom
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32   #4

Denny and Diane of Jusdreaming - many thanks for your info and the link.

Tom of Yotboss - Again thanks for the info, I will probably send you a personal message later as I have a few questions which I hope you don't mind answering, but I will compile them sensibly.

thanks
Ian
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
Ian,

If you are of a mind to post your questions on the forum, rather than personally, I know I would be interested in hearing the answers, and I am sure there are others lurking out here that would as well.

I am seriously considering the Lagoon 42 for liveaboard...

Thanks.

Kevin
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20   #6

Lagoon 42 Questions and answers

Hi Kevinmac
Here are my questions and Yotboss's answers, I hope they answer some of your queries and are of use to you.
Ian

Re: Lagoon 42
1) Do you know when they stopped production of the 42?
Not really sure - I think I have seen a few '95s out there, but that would be the latest.
>>
2) Do you know how many of the 51 were made by TPI?
No, but the customer service people at TPI are very nice and can probably answer that one.
>>
3) Do you have a bow sprit for a gennaker and do you use a gennaker?
Yes, I fabricated my own retractable bowsprit and fly a Code 0 off of it. We usually fly the cruising spinnaker from the hull and use it only pretty deep downwind.
>>
4) Are the rudders spades or are they skeg hung?
They are spades....
>>
5) With the engines aft in the scoops are the sail drives forward or astern the rudders?
I have straight drives and the engines are located under the aft berths. I specifically wanted this arrangement for several reasons: much better weight distribution having the engines forward... I'm not a fan of sail drives - don't like having to haul for service... my access for service is excellent.... the area under the aft steps is huge and can be use for lightweight, bulky storage - bicycles, bbq, hoses, inflatable kayak, etc. I can even put my deflated dinghy and outboard in there.
>>
6) Are the engines easily worked on for servicing?
Yes...
>>
7) What improvements have you made over the years?
Lots... reconfigured the tables in and out (don't need to seat eight for dinner every night!); built a proper housing for electronics at the chart table, stereo housing, bookshelf; turned the port fwd stateroom into convertible pantry, storage, galley extension; installed an opening window and two fixed windows between the cockpit and salon; radar arch that houses solar panels, and dinghy; fixed bimini; and the usual stuff - canvas, upholstery, etc. Never done with any boat...!
>>
8) Is yours the 3 cabin or 4 cabin version?
4... I would rather have had the 3 cabin but couldn't find one when I was looking.
>>
9) Are the aft stateroom bunks comfortable and wide enough for 2 prople?
Yes... I'm 6'2 and have plenty of room. We have memory foam mattresses and it is very comfortable.
>>
10) Finally could you tell me how she performs on different points of the wind in light airs ie up to 12 knots and medium winds up to 20 knots with and without a gennaker assuming you use one.
Not quite sure how to answer that other than to say that we're happy with how she sails... Compared to other cruising cats of similar size, we are usually a bit quicker. In the 2002 Newport-Ensenada race (125 mi), we finished first in class out of 20 and 6th overall out of 450. In last year's Baja Ha-Ha, we consistently came in ahead of the other 6 or 8 cruising cats, except for a Catana 43.

In light air, we fly the cruising spin and don't go any deeper than 120 degrees apparent. if the wind gets stronger, we can go a little deeper. We never go DDW. Over about 12 knots, the chute comes down and at around 18, we reef.

We use the Code 0 to fill the gap between the spin and nothing while reaching... in very light ait - to 5 knots - we can actually point to about 50 degrees with this sail. As the wind gets stronger, we have to fall off. It's best use is in winds up to 10 knots at angles from 50-110 degrees.

I find the self-tacking jib to be a blessing and a curse. It would be great to have an overlapping sail in light air upwind (my racing nature coming out), but self-tacking is really nice. Just turn the wheel... For cruising, the self-tacking feature is probably a very good and safe idea.

>>
Sorry to ask so many questions but she interests me greatly.
No problem ... I have a bunch of photos of most of the things I mentioned - send me your email address if you want to see any of those.

We went to the boat show">Miami boat show last year to get ideas and see if we may want to 'upgrade'. After spending two days climbing around, we came away very happy with what we have and totally unwilling to spend another $300k for anything we liked better, which wasn't much.

Best of luck!

Thanks
Ian[/quote]
Old 10-10-2007, 15:52   #7

Boat: Catana 471
Lagoon 410s2

Ian
We have a 410s2 and keep her In Falmouth (Cornwall)
She is a mass production boat but well sorted .
(the VW golf of the catamaran world) Some very good ideas on board which incates that Lagoon have been listening to feed back from the charter industry. After sales service from Lagoon excellent, we had some interior varnish issues and Lagoon took her back stripped the interior and refitted new. One of the benefits of a mass production boat.
Performance not the fastest but very safe We were sailing in 8s and 9s last November in Falmouth bay. We intend to live on her for three months in 2008 before we decide if the long term cruising life is for us.
If you want to see her or come down for a sail let me know.
Derek
lf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Anybody got a Lagoon 42, or sailed one, know someone who has one or even owned one, etc.
I would love to hear some feedback on what your opinions are to it's build quality, living aboard quality, performance etc.
I know that TPI in the States made some as well as Lagoon in France but there are very few informative reports to be found anywhere.
I alos know that there are a couple for sale on Yachtworld, but that's about it.
Thanks in advance
Ian
Capn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 17:36   #8

Ian,

Thanks for forwarding yotboss's replies. Yotboss, or anyone else familiar with the Lagoon 42 - why do you never go dead downwind? Just because it is a slow point of sail for a cat, or another reason? The reason I ask is that part of my sailing is in the Columbia River, and the wind always seem to be blowing either dead downwind or near dead downwind in the summer when going upriver...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kevin
Old 10-10-2007, 18:25   #9

Kevin,

You answered your own question... it's faster. When cruising, I also just don't like to worry about an accidental jibe due to a wind shift, wandering autopilot or my own lack of attention, especially when there are some seas but not much wind. You can always rig a preventer, mess with poles, etc., but you still are going slower and then have all that stuff to deal with if you have an emergency... So I guess it's a bit of a safety thing for me also.

The following is from (of all places) Answers.com:

Tacking Downwind Taking the rolling out of sailing downwind in the trades
America’s Cup racers are not the only sailboats that tack down-wind; cruisers do it, too. You’ll know why if you’ve ever rolled your gunwales under for days on end, running dead before the trade winds.Sailing on a broad reach is usually faster than sailing on a dead run, so if you head off 20 degrees to one side of your rhumb line, you not only enjoy more comfortable sailing, but also gain speed—especially in light weather.
Tacking downwind can get you where you’re going more comfortably with little or no loss of time. In some conditions, on some boats, you might even reach your objective faster despite sailing a longer distanceSailing on a reach for half a day and then jibing to sail 20 degrees on the other side of your rhumb line does not add as much distance as you might think. Over a straight-line course of 100 miles, you’ll only have 6 miles extra to cover by broad-reaching. But thanks to the extra speed you gain on a broad reach, you might get to your destination quicker even if the course is longer. For example, if your speed improves from 4 knots (going dead down-wind) to 4.24 knots (on a 20-degree reach), it will take exactly the same time to cover the course. And if your average speed goes up just a quarter of a knot, from 4 to 4.25 knots, you’ll actually get there a little sooner—and a lot more comfortably.
Old 11-10-2007, 13:45   #10

Take Two

Capn Jack

Hi Derek, I have sent you a private message, Thanks Ian
Old 11-10-2007, 21:23   #11

Thanks Yotboss. I am new to cats, I was wondering if there was some special issue with DDW in a cat. I have heard that DDW is actually easier in a cat, albeit slower, just as in a monohull.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 11-10-2007, 21:51   #12
DtM

DDW can be more difficult in a cat with the configuration of the rig preventing you from easing the main far enough.

It is more pleasant to be close to DDW when there is a bit of pressure than if you are just slating around in little breeze.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 22:39   #13

Kevin,
I'm sure those who analyze sail performance can (and hopefully will) give you a better answer than I can. I just kinda know what works... but I'll give it a try...

A couple of 'special issues' come to mind regarding DDW in a cat. In say, a 40' mono with a 12' beam running DDW, you would have about a 14' pole that is at or nearly 90 degrees, holding the chute outside the boat about 8' and nearly as far aft as the mast. On 40' cat with a 20' beam and the chute tacked to the bow, it's tacked only about 8' from the centerline and way out there in front, being partially blanketed by the main. The same thing also happens with sprit boats - Js, Melges', etc. and all monos flying cruising spinnakers. Also in a cat, you can't let the main out as far because the shrouds are led aft. You'll sometimes see cats flying chutes without the main up for these reasons. In fact, a symmetrical chute tacked to the bows and flown without the main is a really simple DDW rig - but only DDW; great for really long runs.

So, by turning up about 20-30 degrees, you're taking advantage of all the sail area you have up and generating more wind - and speed.

I'd say going DDW in a multi is easier than in a mono flying a symmetrical spinnaker with a pole, guys, etc., but about the same as a mono with an asym - both are faster and more forgiving when heading up a bit.

Best,
Tom
Old 18-10-2007, 10:03   #14

Boat: Lagoon 42
Hi Ireaney, we've a Lagoon 42 in Falmouth, UK as well (same location as CapnJack).

Had her since March'07 - she's due a major refit following a 25000+ mile trip but we were happy to take on as a project. Previous owners very happy with her performance.

However we decided to just use her this season to see what we liked/disliked and she's proved extremely successful, superbly manouverable under engine, sails well and is nicely balanced, easy to use (self-tacking jib etc - but will happily tack on main alone), excellent visibility from helmstation - quite unlike some more modern cats. Same interior layout as Yotboss's "Catatude" and we've done similar things to her by the sound of it. Retractable pole to take a furling Doyle UPS assymetric rather than a regular spinnaker. Engines are currently under aft bunks and shaft drive but toying with saildrives and moving engines to sugar scoops in order to change the layout of the aft cabins.

Compared to the newer Lagoons the sloped windows take away a LOT of space in the saloon and probably mean much greater solar gain (not that this is a problem in Northern latitudes!), but windage is no doubt reduced. Cockpit looks to be larger in the 42. I seem to remember having a peek inside CapnJack's 410 last year when we started looking around for a new cat and was amazed at the room inside.

There are a few 42's about and we were luckly in finding ours in the UK, albeit looking a little sorry. Good luck with your search.
jstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 10:21   #15

Hi Jstone1, Thanks for your reply, was it this one http://www.easierproperty.com/view/W.../ad-19144.html that you bought, because there can't be many in the UK, sorry if I am being nosey.
Thanks
Ian

Tags
lagoon