Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2008, 23:51   #31

Many many thanks Tom!
Do you have any hints on getting her to perform a little better?
snatchblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 13:55   #32

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchblock View Post
Many many thanks Tom!
Do you have any hints on getting her to perform a little better?
There isn't anything specific to the L42 that I can think of that can be tweaked to maximize performance.

In general though, it helps tremendously to start with a good, smooth, clean bottom. Paying attention to the jib traveler position helps, especially to weather. The old saying 'when in doubt, let it out' seems to hold true: over-trimming will kill speed in a hurry. Same with trying to point too high or run too deep - VMG just goes away when you do this.

Probably the biggest performance "bang for the buck" for us has been installing folding props.

We used to do some racing and paid a lot more attention to squeezing out every ounce of speed. Now that we're cruising, not so much (only when there's another boat in sight!)...
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 01:08   #33

Location: Australia - but currently somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI
Send a message via Skype™ to Oz_Steve
Post Nearing the end of our sail adventure on our Lagoon 42 TPI

Hello Everybody,
I know this is where we've all been discussing the benefits of the Lagoon 42 TPI. We've owned ours for a couple of years and are nearing the end of our sail adventure. We'll soon be arriving back home in Australia and will be putting our beloved yacht "Connect4" on the market. After two years sailing over 15,000NM it will be hard to leave her as she's been a fantastic blue water sailer. If anyone has any questions regarding this fantastic catamaran, drop us a line and we'll be happy to answer. S/Y Connect4 - Cruising Logs of the Drinkald Family

Cheers
Steve
Oz_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:50   #34

Re: Lagoon 42 - NOT 420

We have a TPI Lagoon 42 "Exit Strategy". We have sailed her up and down the US east Coast and through the eastern Caribbean to South America, living aboard for 6 to 9 months at a time. We have loved the boat. She is solid, fun to sail, and comfortable to live aboard.

We have hull 16 out of 51. There seems to be a big difference between boats. We have cherry wood thoughout the interior, which many do not. We have vee drives with shafts and the engines under the back step behind the berths in stead of sail drives. We think this is a better arrangement for a cruising boat.

We have an ad up on this site, as our boat is currently for sale. We hear the grandchildren calling....

Doris
DorisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 09:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchblock View Post
Hi, does anyone have the Sail/rig (I,J,P,E) measurements for a lagoon 42? I cannot find them anywhere online!

Many thanks
This is from a Lagoon 42 brochure dated July 1992:
I = 48' 7"
P = 50' 3"
J = 13' 9.5"
E = 19'

Doris
Old 02-05-2015, 01:56   #36

Boat: lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrine33

I have a 420 42ft lagoon I don't know the difference you are making
kathrine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:55   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Anybody got a Lagoon 42, or sailed one, know someone who has one or even owned one, etc.
I would love to hear some feedback on what your opinions are to it's build quality, living aboard quality, performance etc.
I know that TPI in the States made some as well as Lagoon in France but there are very few informative reports to be found anywhere.
I alos know that there are a couple for sale on Yachtworld, but that's about it.
Thanks in advance
Ian
Ian,

My husband and I have a TPI Lagoon 42 named Exit Strategy. We have been living aboard for 6 to 9 months per year since 2005 and sailed her from Connecticut to Trinidad and back spending a good deal of time in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

This boat is extremely well built, sea kindly, and easy to sail. As a live aboard she is comfortable. We have modified the starboard hull to have a large head forward and desk amidships. We built a hard top bimini and loaded it up with solar panels. We changed out the refrigeration, which had become problematical, so we installed NovaKool refrigerator and freezer. They are VERY energy efficient.

If you want to spend some real time aboard and actually sail from place to place in the ocean as opposed to motoring in the waterway or motorsailing in light air, this boat is for you. She is also ideal for living at anchor in the Bahamas and Caribbean, or the Chesapeake Bay. She draws 4.5 feet, which is a lot for a catamaran, but it shows in her performance. She tracks well and tacks easily.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Exit Strategy is currently in St Augustine and she is for sale. (see ad on this site)

Doris
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05   #38

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrine33 View Post
I have a 420 42ft lagoon I don't know the difference you are making
This thread is about the older L42 which was US made by TPI for Lagoon in the 90s. The newer L420 is a totally different boat and that's why it has a different model number. That is the difference.
Google TPI Lagoon 42 or Lagoon TPI 42 and you will see.
Old 23-05-2015, 12:38   #39

Ian,

My husband and I have a TPI Lagoon 42 named Exit Strategy. She is hull #16 from 1992 and we have enjoyed living aboard and sailing her since 2003. We have sailed up and down the eastern seaboard, mostly outside. Throughout the Bahamas and Eastern Carribean. We find her to be extremely well built, sea kindly, and comfortable, as well as a good fast sailboat. Because of her beautiful, high underbody she tends not to slam like so many cats. For more info, you may check out our listing on this site: "TPI Lagoon 42". After all these years on board, we are buying a house and planting a garden.

Do you have specific questions?

DorisT

Tags
lagoon