Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 10:53   #1

Lagoon 42 Fridge space

We have seen a Lagoon 42 close up. But, I am wondering if anyone with real world experience can comment on the fridge/freezer space? If you get the salon freezer, the other fridge seems pretty darn small. Any comments?
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:26   #2

Boat: Lagoon 42'
Re: Lagoon 42 Fridge space

Hi Matty

Yes, we thought the same when we looked over the options list, so we also ordered the cockpit fridge to give us a few more cu ft of space. The trouble is that the cockpit fridge has a slide out drawer and the useable space is minimal. It is perhaps only good enough for a few drinks, but better than nothing.

We think we can get by with the two fridges and the freezer but it will be a bit tight if we have a few crew on board. Will find out for sure when our 42 is delivered in January.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
We have seen a Lagoon 42 close up. But, I am wondering if anyone with real world experience can comment on the fridge/freezer space? If you get the salon freezer, the other fridge seems pretty darn small. Any comments?
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:44   #3

Boat: Amel 50

On the L450, we have the galley fridge, salon freezer (same size as fridge) and a much smaller cockpit fridge.

I do not know about the L42, but the above setup works well for us. We always have more than enough cold food during the cruising season in S. Pacific.

Keeping beers cold is a different problem... We use a portion of the cockpit fridge for that.

Just in case this info helps...

Blog: Et Voila Adventures
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:54   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We have 450S 2016 and the refrigeration is our biggest complaint. You must get on your hands and knees to get in other the fridge or freezer. The refrigerator is not insulated well and is always wet. We find that the freezer is good and adequate. But the refrigerator space is really lacking we tries to find a 12v 5 to 7 cubic ft free standing but difficult here in Asia. So we just put in a 240v and run the inverter during the day.
We have a 2001 allego bus that we purchases new in 2001 it has a huge side by side AC/DC fridge freezer. We are wondering why in 2016 Lagoon has not figured it out for liveaboards. Actually I believe in the 52 they have figured it out. Click image for larger version

Name:	1480082071751.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	136888
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 19:05   #5

Yes, the standard Lagoon fridges leave a lot to be desired. They are inefficient and poorly installed, in that they have insuffient ventilation which causes hot, moist air to be trapped in the compartment. The condensation has caused discolouration of the wood cabinetry. We have installed ventilation fans and tried to add extra insulation, but as they say; "you can't make a silken purse from a sow's ear". It is easy or Lagoon to just buy and screw in these pieces of overpriced junk.

We have two Vitrifrigo fridges and a Vitrifrigo freezer unit. Size wise, this is usually adequate for tropical liveaboard. We've an additional Engel fridge/freezer should we have the need.
With the benefit of hindsight, I would not have installed additional poor quality and expensive "marine units" such as the Vitrifrigos. Instead, I would have paid more for a properly constructed and insulated fibreglass unit, fitted with a Eutectic refrigeration system. Preferably one cooled by air and by fresh water tanks. The extra cost of such a custom system would be recouped by less expensive power generation and storage systems.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 20:41   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Yes, the standard Lagoon fridges leave a lot to be desired. They are inefficient and poorly installed, in that they have insuffient ventilation which causes hot, moist air to be trapped in the compartment. The condensation has caused discolouration of the wood cabinetry. We have installed ventilation fans and tried to add extra insulation, but as they say; "you can't make a silken purse from a sow's ear". It is easy or Lagoon to just buy and screw in these pieces of overpriced junk.

We have two Vitrifrigo fridges and a Vitrifrigo freezer unit. Size wise, this is usually adequate for tropical liveaboard. We've an additional Engel fridge/freezer should we have the need.
With the benefit of hindsight, I would not have installed additional poor quality and expensive "marine units" such as the Vitrifrigos. Instead, I would have paid more for a properly constructed and insulated fibreglass unit, fitted with a Eutectic refrigeration system. Preferably one cooled by air and by fresh water tanks. The extra cost of such a custom system would be recouped by less expensive power generation and storage systems.
I think you should give up sailing and go to work for lagoon! Get them up to speed on fridgeration! I love my lagoon but I wish they would have charged me a little more and have brought the fridge up to a decent standard!
Cheers!
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 18:59   #7

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I had inaugural cruise on Sea Tiger (with TMM), my Lagoon 42. Provisioned for 2 weeks at the start. Freezer was plenty big as we kept ice bags in there as well as the meat we brought, Vac packed for 6 people (Dined out every other night.)

Refrigerator was a little tight but we fit all fridge items into it.

Cockpit fridge held approximately 14 or so canned beverages.

We also had a cockpit cooler with block ice and some cube ice for beer/ mixers.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
I had inaugural cruise on Sea Tiger (with TMM), my Lagoon 42. Provisioned for 2 weeks at the start. Freezer was plenty big as we kept ice bags in there as well as the meat we brought, Vac packed for 6 people (Dined out every other night.)

Refrigerator was a little tight but we fit all fridge items into it.

Cockpit fridge held approximately 14 or so canned beverages.

We also had a cockpit cooler with block ice and some cube ice for beer/ mixers.
Just wondering if a larger fridge could be fitted to the same space as the interior fridge? Probably not, I would assume Lagoon used all the available space. But, you never know.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:28   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi Matty

I think the better approach to get more space is to install a larger fridge in the cockpit rather than try to squeeze a larger fridge in the salon. There appears to be plenty of additional space under the helm seat to do this.

What I have in mind for a future retrofit is to install a more standard 12V RV style fridge with front opening door in the cockpit, rather than the factory fitted slide out unit which is uses space very inefficiently.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:22   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42

Matty

Had a 110L front loading fridge fitted in my 42 with help of Ancasta. See picture.

Best B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_64a.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	137572  
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42

Ooops - freezer not fridge
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:37   #12

Boat: Bristol 45.5

To get a decent fridge on any boat you almost have to have a custom boat built , and even then you have to spec out the fridge to the builder , and even then , you had better get yourself down to the yard and direct the the fitting out and installation yourself . I think builders need to read Richard Kollmann"s books !!

Or failing that we can just rip it all out and start again

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec10 View Post
Matty

Had a 110L front loading fridge fitted in my 42 with help of Ancasta. See picture.

Best B
So you replaced the 100L fridge (which came with the boat) with a 110L freezer? Looks like the 100L freezer from the factory is a 1700 Euro upgrade. Was it that much cheaper to get a freezer installed after market?

I know this seems trivial to all the other readers, but we are so close into making a decision. It would suck to have such a nice boat and then NOT be able to get a couple of weeks food refrigerated/frozen.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:24   #14

The easiest, cheapest and most versatile upgrade is a 12v " car fridge " of the Engel or Waeco type. They are easily removed if not required and can be used as either a fridge or a freezer.

Efficiency can be improved with a fabric bag incorporating additional insulation. We have an insulated cover made of fabric that matches the saloon upholstery with a padded top to function as our saloon nav station seat.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:35   #15

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
To get a decent fridge on any boat you almost have to have a custom boat built , and even then you have to spec out the fridge to the builder , and even then , you had better get yourself down to the yard and direct the the fitting out and installation yourself . I think builders need to read Richard Kollmann"s books !!

Or failing that we can just rip it all out and start again

Regards

Bali seems to have tried to address this issue, I think their American style fridge is marine equipped on the inside but still wonder if it works out well
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon