Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2009, 23:09   #1

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Lagoon 410 Yanmar vs Volvo ~30-40hp

Seems like I read somewhere regarding cats that there were some problems with Volvo engines of this size, ~30-40 hp. Can anyone point me to a discussion of this or shed some light. I didn't have any luck with the search feature, but I am technology challenged.

I'm settling on buying a 410. Seems like there are a couple in Yachtworld with Volvo 29 hp engines, one a 2003 with brand new Volvo engines. I am suspicious of new engines in a 6 year old boat. Aside from flooding I can't imagine why this would be necessary. Seems like everyone likes the Yanmars which are in older and newer 410s.

I am partial to getting a larger engine, ~38 hp vs ~hp. I can't imagine fuel economy & weight will be much different. Is this true? Anyone care to comment.

Also would appreciate any comments on my current and likely choice of a L410. It seems to meet my needs for size, price and livability, though as a dingy sailor I would sure like to have better performance.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Eric
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 02:59   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Go Yanmar and be happy!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 06:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have read numerous times in this forum that Yanmars are more reliable, their parts are less expensive and their parts are easier to obtain internationally.

Volvo seems to use the same business model that printer manufacturers use. Sell the printer for cheap, overcharge for the ink.

Compare prices for various parts for the same horsepower engine. Ask prices for things which commonly fail like waterpumps, starter motors and alternators.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 06:45   #4

Boat: Manta 40- "Savannah"
I had to repower due to chronic problems with pistons on Volvo MD2030' at about 3500 hrs. Ended up with Volvo D1-30's which are good so far.
Sail Warehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 12:33   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Rebuild or Repower Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Warehouse View Post
I had to repower due to chronic problems with pistons on Volvo MD2030' at about 3500 hrs. Ended up with Volvo D1-30's which are good so far.
I have an unknown number of hrs above 4000 on two MD2030's and anticipate a rebuild or repower soon. I was wondering if you ran the numbers on cost of rebuild vs cost of new engines? I have some experience rebuilding engines so I would do the work myself, but if the price of parts is too high it might make more sense to repower. Also, did your new D1-30's mate to your original saildrives OK or do you have straight shafts? Thanks
Old 30-04-2009, 12:41   #6

Greg, The D1-30 are a direct bolt up to the sail drives if you use a housing adapter. I opted for replacement after frying 4 consecutive rebuilds on the port engine. The volvo distributer couldn't even figure out why it kept happening. So far at 150+ hrs the new Volvos are doing fine except for a small coolant leak in the fresh water pump seals. I like he 110 AMP alternaters that are standard on them.
Old 30-04-2009, 14:39   #7

Sail, Thanks for the info. It's good to know that new engines are compatible with old sail drives. I have thousands of hrs on the saildrives and no problems yet, so I'll probably keep the old ones. Can you change all the saildrive oil from the top on new saildrives? Also, do you still need to remove props to change saildrive zinc?

Good luck with your new diesels and saildrives. I've heard lots of stories about Volvos, but so far mine have been reliable. Knock-on-wood.
Old 30-04-2009, 14:48   #8

Greg,
I have the old sail drives too so no, you can not change the oil or the zincs without hauling, bummer. I mauy change them in a couple of years. They are getting quite corroded. Good luck with yours too.

jim
Old 01-05-2009, 12:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Warehouse View Post
Greg,
I have the old sail drives too so no, you can not change the oil or the zincs without hauling, bummer. I mauy change them in a couple of years. They are getting quite corroded. Good luck with yours too.

jim
Jim, Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you put in new saildrives also.

I'm curious as to what happened with your port engine rebuilds? What parts failed? That had to be seriously frustrating to rebuild 4 times. Did Volvo dealer do the rebuilds?
Old 01-05-2009, 23:29   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I had a Volvo 27hp...Model 2003. It was a piece of junk! Poorly designed, leaked all the time and broke injector springs. Other than that, it was great...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:08   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
I have an unknown number of hrs above 4000 on two MD2030's and anticipate a rebuild or repower soon. I was wondering if you ran the numbers on cost of rebuild vs cost of new engines? I have some experience rebuilding engines so I would do the work myself, but if the price of parts is too high it might make more sense to repower. Also, did your new D1-30's mate to your original saildrives OK or do you have straight shafts? Thanks
I've been told the cost of a rebuild is around $1000 per cylinder on small Volvo's. Then there'll be removal/installation costs of course. This was quoted to me on Sint Maarten.

My MD2040's have around 5500 hours on them. No sign of needing a rebuild I was just curious.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
I've been told the cost of a rebuild is around $1000 per cylinder on small Volvo's. Then there'll be removal/installation costs of course. This was quoted to me on Sint Maarten.

My MD2040's have around 5500 hours on them. No sign of needing a rebuild I was just curious.
Jeannius, Thanks for the info on rebuild costs. My 2030's are running OK, but I've got a few oil leaks, and some stains on the hull from exhaust. The starboard engine starts quickly, but port requires full glow plug cycle and some cranking before it starts.

I helped a cruiser friend rebuild a small Yanmar a few years ago and the parts were only about $1,800 as I recall. If I could get the Volvo parts for that price I might do a "preventative rebuild", but a 3 grand each, I'll wait till they really need it.
Old 10-05-2009, 18:50   #13

yanmar vs volvo

I believe the 2020, 2030 and 2040 volvos are rebadged perkins engines. I would go for a yanmar, or an engine based on a kubota, mitsubishi or perkins industrial engine. These engines have been used in thousands of industrial applications all over the world and are simple proven designs. Im not sure how many units these companies have produced, but would think it would be in the millions.
I have heard bad things about about the older 2002 and 2003 series engines and the new di series models.
Joemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28   #14

Boat: Knysna 480
I bought a new Leopard 46 with 54HP Volvos. Simultaneously a friend bought a Leopard 40 with 40HP Volvos. We both had the same problems with recurrent prop loss and vapor lock that necessatated the installation of lift pumps. The worst part of the experience was that Volvo has such a poor reputation for reimbursing their own dealers for warranty work that they refused to do warranty work without a payment guarantee. I was unable to find anyone to do warranty work in all of the Anerican and British VI's which required that I take the boat to Puerto Rico where if you are lucky you can "beg" the Volvo dealer to help you. I eventually sold the boat primarily because of the Volvo engines. I will never own another Volvo product. Robertson and Caine no longer offers Volvo engines as an option for these very reasons.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01   #15

Regarding Yanmars, It would likely be worth the extra $ to go to the 35hp engine in lieu of the little 27hp. (I think Ive got these HP right , both 3 cyl) The 35 is a more rugged engine. Both the 27 HP went bad with less than 2500 hrs in my Lagoon 42.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, volvo, yanmar