Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 14:53   #31

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Lagoon 400 or 42 for long term circumnavigating

Our 42 has been great, both sailing and at anchor. I have a question though, because it was something that we thought too at one time. The amount of storage that two people need for a trip just about anywhere, is probably a lot less than most people think. Our previous catamaran was good too, but we were ready to move on to something newer, or new, and something better. We chose the new 42, and just finished sailing the Caribbean in Grenada. When we unloaded our previous boat for the handover when we sold it, we took so much off the boat that we were literally astounded. We had loaded that boat down so much with a spare this and a spare that, that we really just needed to tow a spare catamaran behind us! Catamarans do not like to be loaded too much, they will lay low in the water and this kills performance. Remember too, you have several spare cabins, and many catamaran owners use a spare cabin as a huge storage space.
The galley is limited in storage, but there really is enough. There is storage in the salon under the floor hatches, as well as under several of the seats for additional food stores. Nesting pots are a must, although we have had a tough time with our Magnum set. They look like nonstick, but then you use them... not so much.
I store spares and engine oil, etc, under the hull floor hatches. They stay bone dry and this keeps this heavy stuff out of the bow storage. There is so much storage actually, that we intentionally keep the spare rear cabin completely empty, for the occasional visitor! We keep fenders, dock lines, and the code zero in the large storage lockers on the bows. Cleaning supplies and hoses and shore power cords go in the space next to the chain locker under that hatch. The other hatch in front of the windshield is pretty much for the generator. There is a large storage locker in the cockpit that holds miscellaneous lines, spare helm stuff and dinghy stuff.
We worried that 80 gallons of water would not be enough, and for a South Sea passage, it probably would make us nervous to leave with this. But, the watermaker we have makes 40 gallons an hour, and you can get one that runs on generator as well as 12 volt. This would give you the option of running it either way, if the battery bank was big enough. There is room for 840 watts of solar on the starboard hardtop roof too, we did that! If we do the Puddle Jump, we would carry another 50 gallons of water in flexible containers, like the ones for camping. The truth is, we need to run the watermaker every couple days anyway, to keep it fresh, and we top the tank off in just an hour or so. We would keep the extra water as a O-**** backup only. So, storage has not been an issue for us, and I have never felt that the boat was overloaded, or sitting too low in the water.
Also, the new hull and rig design on the 42 has added a lot to the overall feel of the boat. By this I mean that the hulls themselves, are wider, and therefore have more floatation and less tendency to 'sink' down when the boat is loaded down for a long passage. Also, the mast moved aft has made a huge difference in boat comfort. They boat really doesn't hobby horse along in a head sea, and there is a lot less pounding too.
As for the rig vs design weight, that is something to consider. The boat is big for a 42, and the rig is not enormous. But, it is safe, too. The manual says to run a full sail plan up to 23 knots. Then 1 reef in the main. If you get the furling code zero setup, you can use that up to about 15 knots, then roll it up and go to the standard self-tacking jib. We never felt the boat to be underpowered, and it is so easy to sail. If you are going around, then you can use the code zero setup for a true downwind sail too.
As for the helm position, we have the factory full helm and cockpit enclosure that makes it impossible to go over the side. It is just my wife and myself aboard, so this is super important for us. The visibility forward is not as good as the 44-45 Lagoons, but you are still down in the cockpit area, and I can see both forward corners fine, and both rear corners if I duck down to look under the hardtop. I do not think the 45 has this rear facing view, which you need at times to dock backing into the wind.
I also think that resale down the road is something to consider. The 42 is so popular, that there will be buyers looking for one if you want / need to sell. The 40 is being replaced soon, and will be a smaller version of the 42 from what I have seen. The older 40 will not garner the sales attention that the newer 42 will get when that time comes, and when we priced them, there was very little difference in cost between the two. Not enough to go small, when you could go big! We do not regret our decision.
Chris and Joyce
SV Disco Volante
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 18:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltrun View Post
Our 42 has been great, both sailing and at anchor. I have a question though, because it was something that we thought too at one time. The amount of storage that two people need for a trip just about anywhere, is probably a lot less than most people think. Our previous catamaran was good too, but we were ready to move on to something newer, or new, and something better. We chose the new 42, and just finished sailing the Caribbean in Grenada. When we unloaded our previous boat for the handover when we sold it, we took so much off the boat that we were literally astounded. We had loaded that boat down so much with a spare this and a spare that, that we really just needed to tow a spare catamaran behind us! Catamarans do not like to be loaded too much, they will lay low in the water and this kills performance. Remember too, you have several spare cabins, and many catamaran owners use a spare cabin as a huge storage space.

The galley is limited in storage, but there really is enough. There is storage in the salon under the floor hatches, as well as under several of the seats for additional food stores. Nesting pots are a must, although we have had a tough time with our Magnum set. They look like nonstick, but then you use them... not so much.

I store spares and engine oil, etc, under the hull floor hatches. They stay bone dry and this keeps this heavy stuff out of the bow storage. There is so much storage actually, that we intentionally keep the spare rear cabin completely empty, for the occasional visitor! We keep fenders, dock lines, and the code zero in the large storage lockers on the bows. Cleaning supplies and hoses and shore power cords go in the space next to the chain locker under that hatch. The other hatch in front of the windshield is pretty much for the generator. There is a large storage locker in the cockpit that holds miscellaneous lines, spare helm stuff and dinghy stuff.

We worried that 80 gallons of water would not be enough, and for a South Sea passage, it probably would make us nervous to leave with this. But, the watermaker we have makes 40 gallons an hour, and you can get one that runs on generator as well as 12 volt. This would give you the option of running it either way, if the battery bank was big enough. There is room for 840 watts of solar on the starboard hardtop roof too, we did that! If we do the Puddle Jump, we would carry another 50 gallons of water in flexible containers, like the ones for camping. The truth is, we need to run the watermaker every couple days anyway, to keep it fresh, and we top the tank off in just an hour or so. We would keep the extra water as a O-**** backup only. So, storage has not been an issue for us, and I have never felt that the boat was overloaded, or sitting too low in the water.

Also, the new hull and rig design on the 42 has added a lot to the overall feel of the boat. By this I mean that the hulls themselves, are wider, and therefore have more floatation and less tendency to 'sink' down when the boat is loaded down for a long passage. Also, the mast moved aft has made a huge difference in boat comfort. They boat really doesn't hobby horse along in a head sea, and there is a lot less pounding too.

As for the rig vs design weight, that is something to consider. The boat is big for a 42, and the rig is not enormous. But, it is safe, too. The manual says to run a full sail plan up to 23 knots. Then 1 reef in the main. If you get the furling code zero setup, you can use that up to about 15 knots, then roll it up and go to the standard self-tacking jib. We never felt the boat to be underpowered, and it is so easy to sail. If you are going around, then you can use the code zero setup for a true downwind sail too.

As for the helm position, we have the factory full helm and cockpit enclosure that makes it impossible to go over the side. It is just my wife and myself aboard, so this is super important for us. The visibility forward is not as good as the 44-45 Lagoons, but you are still down in the cockpit area, and I can see both forward corners fine, and both rear corners if I duck down to look under the hardtop. I do not think the 45 has this rear facing view, which you need at times to dock backing into the wind.

I also think that resale down the road is something to consider. The 42 is so popular, that there will be buyers looking for one if you want / need to sell. The 40 is being replaced soon, and will be a smaller version of the 42 from what I have seen. The older 40 will not garner the sales attention that the newer 42 will get when that time comes, and when we priced them, there was very little difference in cost between the two. Not enough to go small, when you could go big! We do not regret our decision.

Chris and Joyce

SV Disco Volante

Saltrun:

Great information! My wife and I have hull # 138 on order, just received the MSO and BC. Hand over is scheduled for mid-July. Storage has been our primary concern, but we feel we've got a good plan, very similar to your storage solutions. After looking at every nook and cranny during last year's Annapolis boat show we were convinced the boat would have plenty of storage for a cruising couple with occasional guests. I think the 42 will force us to be efficient and hopefully that will help prevent us from overloading.

We plan to install a water maker, the Cruiser R/O rated at 40 GPH is our leading contender. Which WM did you install and what location?We are fitting an extra 75 gallon tank in the port locker. There is still plenty of room for chain, my only concern is the weight in that locker. We went with the factory genset so there are no options in the starboard locker.

Would it be OK if I PM you to pick your brain from time to time?
Old 11-06-2017, 16:38   #33

Sure, no problem.
Chris
Old 12-06-2017, 18:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
We are fitting an extra 75 gallon tank in the port locker. There is still plenty of room for chain, my only concern is the weight in that locker. We went with the factory genset so there are no options in the starboard locker.
We are on track to place an order for the 42 at the Annapolis boat show and had some early discussions with a broker. My understanding is that only the Genset or one water tank is installed in the port locker, leaving enough space for the chain. In your statement above, do you mean that you are installing two tanks in the port locker and there is still room for the chain?

Our plan was to keep the port locker dedicated to the Genset and chain. The stb locker will then have the standard 79G tank on the back and then we will add a smaller tank on the front of the locker (as big as we can fit in the leftover space). But now I think I may have misunderstood something about the location of the genset and tanks, given your statement above. ? Either way I am still curious as to what size tank can be added to the locker that already has the standard tank installed. I assume another 75G would not fit there. Any thoughts?
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 23:48   #35

BlueBuddha,
The generator is in the starboard locker, and pretty much takes up the whole space along with the generator battery, and the strainer. The winch wired remote is in this locker too.
The port locker is where the chain locker is, and the chain goes in front of the water tank. There is some room to the port side of where the chain goes, but not so much as to fit another 80 gallons. The locker gets more shallow towards the front also, but there certainly is room for some additional tankage there. I cannot give you measurements, as the boat is now on the hard for hurricane season in Grenada and we are back in the states.
Chris
SV Disco Volante
Old 13-06-2017, 02:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltrun View Post
BlueBuddha,

The generator is in the starboard locker, and pretty much takes up the whole space along with the generator battery, and the strainer. The winch wired remote is in this locker too.

The port locker is where the chain locker is, and the chain goes in front of the water tank. There is some room to the port side of where the chain goes, but not so much as to fit another 80 gallons. The locker gets more shallow towards the front also, but there certainly is room for some additional tankage there. I cannot give you measurements, as the boat is now on the hard for hurricane season in Grenada and we are back in the states.

Chris

SV Disco Volante

This clarifies everything. Thank you! The only 42 I've seen did not have a generator but instead had two tanks. I was told, incorrectly, that they put the genset in the port locker leaving room for 2 tanks in the stb locker. It seems that was too good to be true.

My concern about adding an extra tank in the port locker, even if small, is that the chain locker seemed shallow and the tank will increase the piling up of the chain.

Thanks!
Old 13-06-2017, 03:10   #37

Are you going to use aircon and if so for the whole boat or just salon? I only ask because if not, why do you want a generator? On a L42 you should easily be able to supply all your power requirements from solar and batteries with an invertor. Benefits of this include less weight, less noise, no need for fuel and may even end up in both lower upfront and lower maintenance costs.
Oh and of course easily allows for two water tanks. Just a thought.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 03:34   #38

I found a good pic of the port locker (screen caption from Waterdragon walkthrough). It looks like I was underestimating how much room is left. You can definitely put an extra tank where the fenders are in the pic below - but likely not bigger than a 20-30G tank. Maybe a flexible tank may use the space more efficiently.

TravellingKiwis, we need the AC to cool all cabins so not possible to run it from solar/batteries until Tesla comes through with a marine battery :-).

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.
Old 13-06-2017, 04:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
I found a good pic of the port locker (screen caption from Waterdragon walkthrough). It looks like I was underestimating how much room is left. You can definitely put an extra tank where the fenders are in the pic below - but likely not bigger than a 20-30G tank. Maybe a flexible tank may use the space more efficiently.

TravellingKiwis, we need the AC to cool all cabins so not possible to run it from solar/batteries until Tesla comes through with a marine battery :-).

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I tried to send a response from my phone but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I hope I don't double post.

We are custom fitting an approximately 75 gallon tank in the port locker along with the factory-installed 79 gallon tank. There will still be enough room for about 300' of chain. I have seen two new 42's fitted with the extra tanks in the port locker. It may not look like you can get another tank of that size in the locker, but you can. It may not be a full 75 gallons but it will be close. On the two 42's already modified, the tanks are about 65 gallons, but they're metal and square. We're going with roto-molded plastic for a better fit.

Somewhere I have a photo I will try to find and post. My concern is all the extra weight in the port locker when both tanks are full. There will be far more weight than in the genset locker. The genset weighs in at about 700 lbs. When full, the water will weigh in at about 1000lbs. I have no idea how much 300' of chain weighs.
Old 13-06-2017, 04:36   #40

Quote:
I tried to send a response from my phone but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I hope I don't double post.

We are custom fitting an approximately 75 gallon tank in the port locker along with the factory-installed 79 gallon tank. There will still be enough room for about 300' of chain. I have seen two new 42's fitted with the extra tanks in the port locker. It may not look like you can get another tank of that size in the locker, but you can. It may not be a full 75 gallons but it will be close. On the two 42's already modified, the tanks are about 65 gallons, but they're metal and square. We're going with roto-molded plastic for a better fit.

Somewhere I have a photo I will try to find and post. My concern is all the extra weight in the port locker when both tanks are full. There will be far more weight than in the genset locker. The genset weighs in at about 700 lbs. When full, the water will weigh in at about 1000lbs. I have no idea how much 300' of chain weighs.
Thanks! It is great to know that you can fit at least 65 extra gallons there. That would bring the total to over 500 liters, which with the added watermaker, makes going the distance not scary.

Regarding the weight, at least the weight imbalance will be very close to the center line so it may not be a major problem but I will be curious to hear what you find out.
Old 13-06-2017, 13:25   #41

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
I have no idea how much 300' of chain weighs.
100m (or 300' ish) of G70 10mm chain weighs about 230kg.

Usefull for guide: https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/p/techn...h-weight-guide
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 13:30   #42

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

500lt with a watermaker should be ample, depending number people on-board.

For me the key reason to add a second tank, is as a backup more than the total capacity (with a watermaker onboard).

You don't loose it all if one leaks, or gets contaminated etc etc. (potentially, depending how its plumbed of course).

One thing on the L450 I like is it has 4 tanks, totalling 700lt, and they are under the floor, 2 each in pt and Stbd hulls, Low and Central. (Each hulls tanks are joined to form one 'tank' as far as the system is concerned for feeding.

Also enough room under there to fit a watermaker, which is again my preference that it is Inside the boat, not in some external locker like some i've seen.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 18:53   #43

I'm curious as to potential installation locations for a WM on the 42? I agree, a reliable WM makes total tank capacity less important. I like the idea of having a backup tank as well as having the option to carry additional water if need be.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:07   #44

Quote:
I'm curious as to potential installation locations for a WM on the 42? I agree, a reliable WM makes total tank capacity less important. I like the idea of having a backup tank as well as having the option to carry additional water if need be.

Jim

On my L42, the water maker is fitted behind the port engine. Also, boat has two 300lt water tanks, one in each locker. On the starboard side the is also a Panda generator fitted. Hope pictures help.

Brendan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	149914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	149915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	149916
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 14:38   #45

Bec10,
What size Panda Generator is that? Does it power everything you have on board?

Matt
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400