Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 17:49   #16

Re: Lagoon 400 or 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Don't stress too much about the SD50. There are heaps in use with very happy users, the few problems are widely broadcast but the majority are happy and silent. Treat them well and they will give good service. If the cones do start slipping they are easily repaired by lapping with grinding paste, either by a mechanic or yourself. There are plenty of instructions on internet for how-to. The SD60 may prove to be a more serviceable saiłdrive, but it's still fairly new and we'll have to wait to find out. In the meantime I'd be keeping the SD50s unless they couldn't be trusted, and spending the money on about a thousand more important upgrades. More efficient refrigeration, shade covers, solar panels, etc.

Why is the need to use a different oil in saiłdrive such a HUGE advantage? I haven't found the need to carry a small bottle of Mercruiser transmission oil for the SD50s such an imposition.

Happy shopping.
Thanks Tuskie,

I guess at this stage I simply don't have much confidence in the SD 50. I realise that people will scream loudly on the internet about something that gives issues and stay quiet when they are having no problems. It's just that there seems very few people with different saildrive issues compared to the SD50. Also, 250 hour inspections and possible replacement/lapping of a clutch seems far too often for me. Also, it seems that only very experienced yanmar mechanics are familiar with shimming the shafts correctly to ensure good service, and the output shafts wear at the seal location. I guess I could do all that work myself, but I like to minimise doing too much engine work if possible, much prefer prefer reliable equipment like toyota's .

I have the manual for the SD 60 and the recommended maintenance is simply change oil @ 250 hours ( from within the engine room without the use for compressed air and possible seal blowout), and grease prop spline @ 500 hours.

Also most people recommend using synthetic oil in the SD50 which is 3 times more expensive than the oil based version, but I agree that isn't really an issue by itself.

The big question is how reliable will the SD60 be. It seems yanmar has pretty much admitted previous issues with the info on the new SD60. My catapiller mechanic friend told me that they went to multi disc wet clutches on their marine drives for exactly the same reliability issues.

Sorry for the thread drift, but to me this is an important consideration when buying a L400, and the choice of saildrive. The 29 HP yanmar had none of these issues with its dog clutch.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 22:46   #17

Boat: LAGOON 400

do not overreact on sd 50. As someone said sd 60 may have their own bug. You have to learn to treat them right as anything really. My wife started panicking but now she is happy chap.

read yanmar manual how to do it right and practice. No slippage after we both got technique right.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 00:21   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

The SD60 is good so far no worries, touch monkey, after a couple of hundred hours on each.
I would steer clear of the SD50's as all I have met have had a lot of trouble with there's. When i ordered our L400 I would have gone with the 29HP if they were still using SD50s for the 40Hp engines, but it would be a bit underpowered. Find a friendly yanmar service agent and ask them their experience with the SD50 if you have concerns...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:42   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Thanks for all the info..............

Food for thought...................

Fair winds......................
Big Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 22:09   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
The s2 3 cabin version has a dedicated spot for the washing machine to fit in the owners hull. I assume the original 3 cabin has also.

I'm looking at a 4 cabin version and i will look, but I doubt there is room for one. I will convert one cabin to storage so that's an option.

I don't know if lagoon make clear side covers for the cockpit, but this could easily be done aftermarket.
Washing machine:
If you are looking at an owner's version of the boat, you may install the machine in the starboard (owner's) hull, in big locker on the left side near the door to the heads.

Clear canopy:
I have one ordered and provided by Lagoon as an option. As far as I know, it was installed by the company that made the commissioning in Les Sables d'Olonne.
Old 11-01-2015, 13:12   #21

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post

Also most people recommend using synthetic oil in the SD50 which is 3 times more expensive than the oil based version, but I agree that isn't really an issue by itself.
Well, if you use normal oil(as you call it) then you can se that your oil will get white if you have a water leak into it,
If you use synthetic oil , and have a water leak, you will not se it befor its to late, the oil does not get white.
---
So i stick to the good old stuff, Oil from nature. i want to se if my seals are leaking, so i can save it before it ...........
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400