Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 23:28   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Lagoon 40/42 Following sea question

Hello all, just a quick question regarding the Lagoon 42 transom. We are a bit keen on the new model 42 and 40 with both new models going for the lower cockpit and open transoms. Can anyone advise what they are like in a good following sea. I am aware of some other manufactures and models which have issues with a large following sea coming over the transom steps and sweeping through the cockpit.
In reality it appears that the cockpit floor and top of the transom level with the top of the underside of the vessel. I have no doubt of the sea worthiness of the boats but would like know if this is unlikely or possible.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 03:21   #2

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Lagoon 40/42 Following sea question

A great thread topic. I have no experience with L42s, but with the wind aft, seamanship demands an eye toward the waves passing under you. Adjust your speed through the water to match their period and (chances are) you won't be pooped, on a multi OR a mono.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 03:40   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 40/42 Following sea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
A great thread topic. I have no experience with L42s, but with the wind aft, seamanship demands an eye toward the waves passing under you. Adjust your speed through the water to match their period and (chances are) you won't be pooped, on a multi OR a mono.
I am interested as well. I don't know how you adjust speed danielamartindm, seems a bit complicated to me. I am doing passages quite often DDW with sym spi or just genoa. From my experience it would have been a PITA with the standard L440 davits where the dinghy is way too low for a big following sea.

Now, about the transoms which is your question. Quite often I felt happy to have the so called protected cockpit. We got sprayed in the cockpit a few times but I cannot tell for sure those waves would have entered a L42 cockpit.... As I said I'd be interested to hear other experiences about those newer cats
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon