Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 20:28   #1

Lagoon 380 Performance Polars

Any hints to where I can find performance projections on the older (not S2 model)........?
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 20:39   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman
Any hints to where I can find performance projections on the older (not S2 model)........?
There is one posted from Dec 2002 on the lagoon 380 owners group. I'm not sure if it's S2 or not as I'm not sure when the S2 came out.

That said, is there a performance difference between the S2 and older model? I don't know of any performance related changes, but have never looked at it closely.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MN1gRgf...%20Diagram.gif

If the above link doesn't work, here is the group url:

lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30   #3

Thanks - it helps

SW- Thanks for quick info.................link did not work but I jumped into Group & viewed polar file.
BTW - S2......thought that was the designation given to newest 380 model >2006........sure someone will confirm.
I was interested in performance data after chartering one in the Caribbean. Sure it was not tuned to the max & the bottom certainly could have used a good scrub in places. Plus I'm sure there are tricks that an experienced Cat owner/sailor would use.
But since so many Cat fanatics here speak in glowing terms of performance, I was curious vs what I experienced.
I noticed there was a note about sea state in the polar.......yeah, don't think some of that speed could be achieved with the Cat being rocked by open water waves..............oh, I forgot.........Cats sail flat.
Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380
Yeah, cleaning the bottom probably buys at least a knot. Also positioning the traveler properly helps a lot. I've found people tend to oversheet the sails on a cat.
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05   #5

Traveler hints

SW: I was trying to be conscious of sheeting throughout & eased 1st to see if that helped..............I did not play with the traveler that much except when the wind was building (over 20kts) a few times.
So I'll take any hints you have there for the next time....the avg winds were mid-teens with times in avg upper teens.......no worries with that.

The hulls were mixed clean on the bottom but it had a beard at or above the water line in places.........

and of course, the water was like glass in the open Caribbean / Atlantic
Old 02-06-2007, 12:14   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
It's important to keep the weight down at the 'ends'.

On my boat I get the best performance when I trim the main so that it's just beginning to flutter along the luff, and I pay close attention to telltales on my jib. I use the traveler to keep the top batten in line with the boom when beating, and to balance the helm in real wind.

I gather you were disappointed in the boat's performance?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:17   #7

Not sure

R505 - Not sure if I'm disappointed but I was certainly not blown away.
My only other personal Cat experiences:
1) Belize 43' - Southern Belize...pretty fast boat....quirky cockpit flow
2) Gemini 105 - SF Bay......light, responsive.....not sure it would stand up to open water pounding

Thanks for trimming tips..........I had jib trimmed just fine....wish main had leech telltales..
The open water (waters off & between Antigua & Barbuda)- beam and forward certainly impacted the speed....it was not slow but it did not make me go WOW.
The only day that I felt like it really moved was the last day on the way back to the base with waves on the quarter & winds @ 100/120...which kinda matches the polar strengths.
With many more monohull miles, I was trying to gain more experience on one of those Flat saling Cats that zoom around/past all other vessels I hear about on this forum.
Old 02-06-2007, 14:24   #8
cruiser

My boat being one of the older cruising cats, is much too heavy to be even close to being "wow" speed wise. However, I readily admit that we polk fun at the mono guys in our marina. In 20 knot winds they have a rail in the water while I'm sailing flat and level, eating lunch and my beer stays where I put it.

I find this cat much less exciting, and much more comfortable than a similar length mono. Then again, at my age I can do with less excitment and more comfort!!

To each their own.

Rick in Florida
Old 02-06-2007, 14:45   #9

Spilled Beer

R505 - What's your Cat?
I know enough not to drag my rail in the water while sailing a mono & hi winds are not an issue either.
I thought alot about all those sailing flat comments from you Cat guys while the waves were rocking the 380.............your beer & lunch would be missing from where you left it and have had some miles & salt on it after a few legs on my recent voyage.
Old 02-06-2007, 16:09   #10
cruiser

Catamaran weight distribution

I have a mid 80's vintage Catalac. These are heavy boats as the hulls are solid GRP, multichine, V shaped and the decks are balsa cored.

As I mentioned earlier, it could be that the weight distribution might have been a factor, but admitedly, you were there and I was not.

Rick in Florida
Old 02-06-2007, 16:37   #11

weight - don't think so

R505 - If weight was a problem, we did not do it. Just two of us on board.
Gear (not much) separated in both hulls.
Just standard setup on boat ..............again it was not terrible just not spectacular.
Maybe my expectations were set higher listening to all the bragging by some....... .......I'll wave the next time I pass one in a monohull.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380