Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 08:17   #1

Boat: Former Owner Gozzard 36
Lagoon 37 - TPI vs French-Built?

Hi all,
My name is Mark and I am new to group and very interested in the TPI built
Lagoons. In my case the 37.

I have made an offer to buy what I thought was a Lagoon 37 built by TPI but have just discovered
that it is a French built Lagoon 37.

Can anyone help with determining what the difference in these two boats may be
in terms of:

Design

Build Quality

Value (Price)

Any info would be helpful,
Thanks,
Mark
mbarbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:01   #2

We have a French Lagoon and are very happy with her. I would not pretend than they are better than the TPI since we haven't seen any but the finition of our Lagoon 37 is better than the TPI 35 that we have seen
Claude Gulliver
claude gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20   #3

The TPI boats are built great. I never had one blister anywhere. My only complaint with the Lagoon37/42 is the draft....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 19:10   #4

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Is there a way of telling if they are French or Amercican?
The reason I ask is that it would be cheaper to import a US built boat into Australia due to our counties trade agreement ie no 5% duty.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25   #5

French lagoon

In the cockpit of our Lagoon there is a plaque under the rear seat. On this plaque you have all the specification of the boat and the origin (made in france).
claude gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 20:56   #6

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Lagoon 37 background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Is there a way of telling if they are French or Amercican?
I believe ALL the TPI Lagoons built in Rhode Island, USA have hull ID numbers/letters on the starboard side of the stern that begin with TSP

The rest of the numbers/letters identify the model, production number, the month and date of production, and model year. Note, the production year COULD be different than the model year--i.e. a boat produced in December 1995 most likely is a 1996 model.

I've only owned my Lagoon since 2008, but I longed to own a catamaran for at least 10 years before that. I have followed a lot of models during that time. I could be wrong, but it has been my understanding that ALL the Lagoon 42s (51 built), 37s (41 built), and 35ccc (11 built) were all built by TPI (Tillotson-Pearson, Inc) of Warren, RI using the patented SCRIMP resin-infusion process; I don't know about the 42 or 37, but my hull had a 10-year blister guarantee. All three models were produced under agreement with Jeanneau-Lagoon, the Jones Act being one reason (several were put into charter in the US), and I believe reduced production costs due to the slumping $US could have been another (remember we were in a recession in the early 1990s).

Tillotson-Pearson has since reorganized as TPI Composites (manufacturer of large-scale composite structures for the wind energy, transportation and military vehicle markets) and Pearson Composites (which continues to build boats, including the PDQ 34 & 41 Power Cats) both still using the SCRIMP infusion process. I believe Group Beneteau acquired Jeanneau-Lagoon and reorganized around 1996-97 separating Jeanneau (monohulls) and Lagoon (catamarans), the first boat of the new venture being the Lagoon 380. And we know what a home run Lagoon hit with this design! 1997 also was the end of production of the L37 and the L35ccc. I am not sure when production of the L42 ceased, but I expect it was probably around this time as well.

According to the Cruising World Review of the Jeanneau Lagoon 37 on January 1, 1995 by Quentin Warren: When French mega-builder Jeanneau announced in November of 1990 that it would embark on a joint production venture with TPI in Warren, Rhode Island,to manufacture Lagoon cruising catamarans, multihull enthusiasts and the industry at large took sharp notice. The Lagoon series cat, at the time formidably represented by an ultrasleek 55-footer already in production, signified an extensive commitment to the multihull field by a major monohull enterprise. And plans for TPI’s inaugural effort -- the fashionable Lagoon 42 ultimately introduced a year later in the fall of 1991 -- suggested to the cruising public that the ongoing rise in multihull popularity was more than a passing fancy.

The 42 went on to enjoy a successful debut, garnering Sailing World magazine’s multihull and overall Boat Of The Year awards in 1991. Jeanneau’s next ploy was to have designers Marc Van Peteghem and Vincent Lauriot-Prevost reproduce the winning formula in a smaller boat. What resulted was Lagoon 37, as much a downsized version of the 42 as a striking cruising catamaran in its own right. Developed for private ownership or charter service, the 37 features the Lagoon series’ familiar curvilinear orientation and round, podlike cabin structure. Aesthetically the look is simple and modern. Jeanneau Lagoon 37 - Cruising World

According to Multihull Maven Lagoon 37 catamaran: Sophisticated in design; simple in operation:
The Lagoon 37 was introduced in 1993 following the success of the Lagoon 42 in the US charter market. With the same designers and builders as the forerunner model and targeting the same market, the boat is a somewhat downsized version. The design, however, works very well in its own right. The Lagoon trademark curvaceous bridgedeck cabin is completely in proportion with the simple hull shapes, giving an overall clean and sophisticated appearance.

Multihull Maven DOES give a hint that maybe some of the 37s COULD have been built in France a little further down the page: This model was also re-branded Moorings 3700 for the Moorings charter market.

I believe the only changes during the life of the L37 was bringing the galley "up" in 1996 (maybe late 1995). I don't know if the galley in the L42 was ever "up".

BTW, Jeanneau-Lagoon commissioned Morrelli & Melvin to design the Lagoon 35 coastal cruising catamaran, setting a requirement that it had to be narrow enough to be transported by truck around the US, hence the 15'9" beam. Only 11 were produced before Group Beneteau moved catamaran production back to France.

This may or may not answer some questions, but I hope it was an interesting read!

Marshall
Old 09-03-2010, 22:18   #7

Thanks Marshall, there is certainly a lot to learn about these boats lucky I have the time to resarch and decifer before I hopefully buy at the end of the year.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15   #8

Lagoon 37/Buying a Cat

"...hopefully buy at the end of the year."

Dragon Lady,

Don't rush into anything until it feels "right"--you should know when. Do your research and have a pretty good idea of what you want.

While I (we) had been looking for quite some time, my wife finally gave the "go-ahead" to get serious in 2006. I actually located a Lagoon 35, and we decided that was the boat we wanted. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete the deal.

In our disappointment we started to look at a number of other boats, including two Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35s (one of which we had surveyed), but they just didn't feel "right" and we waited it out. Luckily we found our present boat in Sept 2008, and have no regrets that we waited.

Although it felt "right" there WAS that moment of panic immediately after, but that quickly passed!

Good luck in your search.

Marshall
Old 10-03-2010, 08:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
I believe ALL the TPI Lagoons built in Rhode Island, USA have hull ID numbers/letters on the starboard side of the stern that begin with TSP
The rest of the numbers/letters identify the model, production number, the month and date of production, and model year...
Marshall
Right!
TPI is identified by the Manufacturer’s Identity Code “TSP”.

Deprecated Browser Error

More about HINs:
Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:11   #10

Boat: Lagoon 37 Makaru
TPI & Jeanneau Lagoon 37s

The TPI boats are balsa cored and I believe the French built are foam cored. TPI used vinylester resins giving 10 year warranty against blistering. There is considerable info available (google or email me) about the TPI boats. I am unable to find out much about the French built ones. Also, starting with #25 or hull #26, the draft was changed from 3'11" to 3'3". We are loaded with all the comforts of a cruising boat and are at 3'6". There was buyer resistance at the 3'11" level so they cut the keels on one and sailed next to the deep model and noticed no appreciable difference. Try to find owner's version as several were built without the walk thru heads and the only French model I've seen had galley up and two walk thru heads and 4 berths. This boat had been chartered and was in need of massive renew. At least one 37 has circumnavigated and the 37 is classed as a Type 1 ocean vessel, unlike the Lagoon 35.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 17:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
...the 37 is classed as a Type 1 ocean vessel, unlike the Lagoon 35.
George,
Thanks for the information. I had long considered a Lagoon 37, in fact I was drawn to it by the terrific pictures of it in the charter ads, but it was really much more than my sailing needs.

As I stated prior, the Lagoon 35ccc was designed as a Coastal Cruising Catamaran, hence the ccc.

Marshall
Old 16-03-2010, 20:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarbian View Post
Hi all,
My name is Mark and I am new to group and very interested in the TPI built
Lagoons. In my case the 37.

I have made an offer to buy what I thought was a Lagoon 37 built by TPI but have just discovered
that it is a French built Lagoon 37.

Can anyone help with determining what the difference in these two boats may be
in terms of:

Design

Build Quality

Value (Price)

Any info would be helpful,
Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark did you end up completing your purchase?
If so, would you mind telling me what you got her for as I'm trying to get an idea of what these boats are worth on the current market.
Old 18-03-2010, 17:09   #13

I had a long discussion with an owner last week. He has a french built '90 55 lagoon. Lot's of issues I never had with my TPI. Core issues, engine/transmission issues related to installation, interior issues, rudder steering issues, etc... of course it could just be the boat... Seems I remember my TPI was only cored above the water line...? His was cored below except the very center line aft where the engines were... just thought I would pass along what I heard... The TPI 37 is a cool boat I really see no need for the 42 for a couple or small family...almost the same boat really.
Old 19-03-2010, 14:07   #14

The TPI 37 is a cool boat I really see no need for the 42 for a couple or small family...almost the same boat really.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheechako, is like an opposite of many cats that are a smaller cat with extended pontoons, the 37 is a 42 with the pontoons reduced?
I'm sure there is more to it than that, but is it a case of not loosing much just like you don't gain much extending a cat.
I'm quite cautious of designs that have been extended because the original wasn't big enough.
Old 20-03-2010, 16:20   #15

I dont know that the 42 is an extended 37.....I loved my 42...once had 15 aboqard for thanksgiving in Georgetown... I looked at 37's and I'm just saying that there really isnt that much differnce in the ones I looked at...unless you have a big family!

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 37, tpi