Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 06:04   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
L450 securing your life raft

Just had my life raft serviced but not happy with how it has previously been secured using two ratchet straps - would not meet a 15 second quick release requirement. Anyone using a system to secure their life raft in a simple manner allowing quick release given the somewhat awkward 'under transom' storage position? Thanks
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 07:57   #2

Boat: L42
Re: L450 securing your life raft

I have paid attention to the many methods I have seen used and the one that seemed to me was most appealing was using the nylon ratchet straps with a good sharp dive knife attached in a rubber or composite scabbard. If you REALLY need the life raft then cutting the straps is a given. Having the knife handy is a very real benefit at this point as you will likely need it anyway. The biggest question is where exactly to attach the knife.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I have paid attention to the many methods I have seen used and the one that seemed to me was most appealing was using the nylon ratchet straps with a good sharp dive knife attached in a rubber or composite scabbard. If you REALLY need the life raft then cutting the straps is a given. Having the knife handy is a very real benefit at this point as you will likely need it anyway. The biggest question is where exactly to attach the knife.

Yes that option occurred to me as well. The straps can be quite tight and thus not too hard to cut with a strategically placed knife And having another knife to hand at the stern is a good safety measure.
Old 18-04-2017, 14:07   #4

The way the bracket is set up, once you cut what ever securing device is used to hold the life raft in, you still then need a means to launch it out of the bracket under the transom.

I imagine it will then inflate under the dinghy or under the vessel, depending on vessel motion at the time.

I pondered this for a long time and ended up deck mounting, in a dry and easily accessible location. (as long as the vessel is upright, but that opens another can of worms).

There was a thread back in 2014 that may be worth a read of as well because a few ideas where expounded on the incorrectness of my approach.

LINK

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-130052.html

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:58   #5

The life raft won't inflate until it receives a solid yank on the tether which is normally 10 - 15 meters long. The tether should be tied off in a different place to the securing straps so during all the excitement the tether is not cut along with the straps.

The life raft normally doesn't fall out of the holder when the straps are cut so another line to pull the life raft out is a good idea.

In calmer conditions you maybe taking the dingy as well as the life raft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
The way the bracket is set up, once you cut what ever securing device is used to hold the life raft in, you still then need a means to launch it out of the bracket under the transom.

I imagine it will then inflate under the dinghy or under the vessel, depending on vessel motion at the time.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 02:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post

I pondered this for a long time and ended up deck mounting, in a dry and easily accessible location. (as long as the vessel is upright, but that opens another can of worms).

There was a thread back in 2014 that may be worth a read of as well because a few ideas where expounded on the incorrectness of my approach.

LINK

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-130052.html

Thanks for referring me to that link Paul - should have done a search - all very helpful discussion. What might be a solution is a re-designed cradle which simply drops down to allow the raft to deploy under its own weight when securing straps released - potentially a very simple solution to a serious design problem.
Old 19-04-2017, 03:47   #7

Two snaps shackles. An inflation line and another lanyard attached to a handle to pull it from under the hulls. Plus a line to eject it out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7569.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	145809Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7573.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	145810
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 04:03   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There's a good bit more on this topic here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-144163.html
And IIRC I penned some other ideas about this as well. Though as to where escapes me at the moment, & likely will continue to do so until I go & caffeinate for the day

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 08:08   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Instead of a knife, or in addition to, why not a stainless steel seat belt buckle. They are extremely secure yet release under tension with little effort. Can be tested easily. The following link has a SS version as special order. Robust proven design that would be easy to adapt. I have no other understanding of this product other that what was quickly found on line. I anticipate that other quick release options are available but finding one that takes the environment is the challenge.

RH300800- Lowy Enterprises, Inc.

Adding additional info:

This found with a marinized version of their FAA-approved seat belt buckle (last bullet of FDC 6400 series)....

http://www.davisaircraftproducts.com...s/buckles.html
Old 19-04-2017, 10:30   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

if you google for diver fast release belt or similar plenty of ideas.
during my cruising have the liferaft on my back seat cockpit and secured with nylon webbing belts and couple of these buckles,four years later,no rust,as new.
one finger operation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dive...t+release+belt
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 15:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstent View Post
What might be a solution is a re-designed cradle which simply drops down to allow the raft to deploy under its own weight when securing straps released - potentially a very simple solution to a serious design problem.
A good design idea but only when the boat is upright. If capsized, it won't deploy upwards.

Quick release buckles etc. are also quite functional but I decided in my vessel's situation, that they were too easily accidentally opened. This would regularly happen due to tangles with davit haul lines and dinghy tie-downs. It would be mildly unsettling to go aft to deploy one's liferaft only to find it missing! These buckles may work fine on other boats.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 22:04   #12

Thanks Tuskie
From all the contributions I think the solution is either webbing u cut or snap shackles - plus the use of a lanyard to assist deployment
Old 20-04-2017, 22:27   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
Two snaps shackles. An inflation line and another lanyard attached to a handle to pull it from under the hulls. Plus a line to eject it out.
Attachment 145809Attachment 145810
That's a very ingenious solution Dave for a cat..... Just one concern
.The deployment lanyard on canister Liferafts chronically have 'wicking' problems of moisture infiltration inside.

Is there a way to better protect from the water, being so close?
perhaps a drop away sealed nacelle that covers the canister in a tight fit ....or simply an extra vinyl cover that keeps the lanyard dry
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 02:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That's a very ingenious solution Dave for a cat..... Just one concern
.The deployment lanyard on canister Liferafts chronically have 'wicking' problems of moisture infiltration inside.
It is a great set up indeed.

Our Lagoon has had a liferaft in a similar mounting position for 5 years, the liferaft was serviced a month ago and the inflation cylinder has not suffered from corrosion due to wicking of salt water.

By the way, what does "BIB" mean? As in, Lagoon puts those letters on the hull next to the liferaft. I'm not sure, but in my (very basic!) circles it is an acronym for "babe in bikini". I know these are decadent Lagoons, but next to a life raft?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:27   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

" BIB " means Boat Information Book, which I guess could list the number of bikini babes allowed..
Great to know that they have improved on the wicking problem
My last life raft RDF was not so lucky...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote