Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 06:04   #1

Just terrible

I just walked done a dock where brand new Lagoons are being prepped for delivery—new from the factory.

On a 65 there are yellow drips of cured epoxy down the transom.

The deck of a 42 is covered with rust spots from metal grinding debris.

How can you deliver a new boat that costs like this with this kind of mess? Total lack of attention to details. I know the dealer will patch these cosmetic details up, but what about things I can’t see that might be more mission critical?

Caveat emptor!
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Just terrible

Quote "Caveat emptor!"

Always. But dripping epoxy or not tidying up metal dust do not per se reflect lack of integrity in the boat. Have Lagoon owners run into quality control issues?
Old 11-10-2021, 06:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Quote "Caveat emptor!"
... Have Lagoon owners run into quality control issues?
Some have.
Lagoons are known for having bulkhead issues [L450], and are sometimes critiqued for poor build quality, and some models [Lagoon 440], are among one of the heaviest models [comparitively] on the market, nor are they particularly fast.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Quote "Caveat emptor!"

Always. But dripping epoxy or not tidying up metal dust do not per se reflect lack of integrity in the boat. Have Lagoon owners run into quality control issues?
What I see shows a lack of proper manufacturing procedures and controls. If you don’t know that grinding metal over the deck of a fiberglass boat makes a horrendous mess, then you are clueless about boatbuilding. If you know it and still allow it to happen, I’m not sure which is worse.

If your manufacturing procedures allow dripping epoxy on finished hull surfaces, same thing. It’s sloppy work. Full stop.

There is simply no excuse for this.
Old 11-10-2021, 17:20   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Did you manage to take any photos if you were that close to seeing them, or get anything to iID them? I’d certainly be glad to share them with the Lagoon reps at the show this weekend. I’ll be taking your post with me.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 20:18   #6

LeeV,

If you are at the boat show, you'll see the boats, the 42 and the 65 are the ones involved.

I would assume that Lagoon has heard about this from Annapolis Yacht Sales who got stuck with the job of cleaning up the mess. Kudos to AYS, and their cleaning contractors. They did an AWESOME job with making these visually presentable for the show on a very short timeline.I very much hope that they were made whole on the costs by cash from Lagoon...

But here are some pictures...

For anybody who knows metal, those little spots of rust splattered all over the stanchions and other deck hardware will very likely be a source of ongoing corrosion issues that will probably get blamed on bad metallurgy of the parts, when that actually isn't the problem....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	246745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	246746  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	246747  
Old 11-10-2021, 21:11   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

I am no fan of Lagoon's, but your complaint is that boats on the dock before a boat show got dirty?

Your first post made it sound like these were right out the factory at the Lagoon dock.
Quote:
brand new Lagoons are being prepped for delivery—new from the factory
That is a far cry from boats at the dock right before a boat show, (with all kinds of commotion going on with every boat getting ready for the show). And that says they don't know how to build boats....... WOW!
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 22:36   #8

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Looks more like teak dressing than epoxy. As for the rust spots, I've received the very same on a windy day from work being done on the next boat over. I'd say the OP is engaging in typical CF Lagoon bashing.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 23:44   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Some have.
Lagoons are known for having bulkhead issues [L450], and are sometimes critiqued for poor build quality, and some models [Lagoon 440], are among one of the heaviest models [comparitively] on the market, nor are they particularly fast.

Gordy, it is now well documented regarding the issues with some Lagoon 450's particularly on this site so I will not comment. In regard to the 440 - are you serious. As a former 440 owner I dont know where you get your informatin from but the 440 is far from being slow and is an excellent sail boat - even to windward. Its not a racer by any means but it exceeds many peoples expectations. As for weight it is of little concern and definatley not overweight given what it was built for. 440's are one of the most in demand 2nd hand boats for sale regarding Lagoons. I would have one back in a heartbeat.

Ozsailero
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:22   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzine View Post
I am no fan of Lagoon's, but your complaint is that boats on the dock before a boat show got dirty?

Your first post made it sound like these were right out the factory at the Lagoon dock.

That is a far cry from boats at the dock right before a boat show, (with all kinds of commotion going on with every boat getting ready for the show). And that says they don't know how to build boats....... WOW!

I have to concur on this. If the boat was at the factory that's one story. A boat at the boat show? Many times these boats you are looking at during the boat shows are already sold and owned. They may have had work done on them after they take possession. Many times these boats are sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Annapolis just for the show. A lot of work can be done in that time, things break on the delivery and fixed on arrival. Too many variables to blame the manufacturer.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:52   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

One of Lagoons at the Annapolis Boat Show was delivered on her own hull from St. Lucia (I spoke to the Canadian delivery crew as they left) so it won't be arriving in pristine condition despite being a new boat and will need some cleaning up before being presented.
Old 12-10-2021, 13:22   #12

Boat: Lagoon L42

Just more Lagoon bashing by the same old CF experts and authorities.
I love my L42!
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 17:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
LeeV,

If you are at the boat show, you'll see the boats, the 42 and the 65 are the ones involved.

I would assume that Lagoon has heard about this from Annapolis Yacht Sales who got stuck with the job of cleaning up the mess. Kudos to AYS, and their cleaning contractors. They did an AWESOME job with making these visually presentable for the show on a very short timeline.I very much hope that they were made whole on the costs by cash from Lagoon...

But here are some pictures...

For anybody who knows metal, those little spots of rust splattered all over the stanchions and other deck hardware will very likely be a source of ongoing corrosion issues that will probably get blamed on bad metallurgy of the parts, when that actually isn't the problem....
I retract my earlier email; I must have misunderstood. I thought you were referring to boats on the factory docks being readied for delivery. That’s a far cry from the above.
Old 13-10-2021, 17:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Gordy, it is now well documented regarding the issues with some Lagoon 450's particularly on this site so I will not comment. In regard to the 440 - are you serious. As a former 440 owner I dont know where you get your informatin from but the 440 is far from being slow and is an excellent sail boat - even to windward. Its not a racer by any means but it exceeds many peoples expectations. As for weight it is of little concern and definatley not overweight given what it was built for. 440's are one of the most in demand 2nd hand boats for sale regarding Lagoons. I would have one back in a heartbeat.

Ozsailero
And since folks like facts, I’d suggest looking at the ARC race results for the last few years; you’ll find the 450 won quite a few times in its class.

Tags
rib