Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 12:24   #301

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Our boat will be in Gibraltar by this weekend - all going well - so I need to start planning what I want to get done there.

Already planned is:
Solar frame install
Aft handrails alterations
Inverter install (not sure on where to locate this, it's huge)
Set up iridium Go

To research:
Fire suppression system for engine bays
More fire extinguishers (which ones and where)
How and where to install BBQ
Converting saloon into extra berth
Mooring ball techniques

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Which Inverter are you putting in ?
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Victron setup for the solar along with a Victron Quattor 5kw.

Consider improvement to the Swim ladder. or at least check it out. I've no idea what the latest ones are like, but mines less than stellar and I'm getting a new one made that is longer and more solid.

Curious what 'aft handrail alterations' you plan ?

I'm hoping to post our solar & BBQ mods tomorrow, now I'm in Rhodos. (though we snapped the lashing on the clew of the main coming over, so need to fix that first, soon as I figure out how !)

Grats on the new boat !

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08   #302

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Hey Dave, my sports top has a warranty gelcoat issue. They want to respray it. I was wondering when they set your sports top on did they do it with a lift or by hand? The lagoon service manger here thinks they just pick it up by hand, walk it up, set it on. I am not so sure it is that easy.
I didn't see it but it went on the same day as they stepped to mast so I'm 99% sure they used the same crane. I don't think it would be attempted by hand. It's heavy and the boat is 10' off the ground. That would be asking for trouble.

Hope that helps Mike.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotty View Post
Where did you register your boat? The country of registration may have rules on fire extinguishing systems i.e. Halon or water etc. where they need to be placed which then the insurance company would be interested in .... any excuse not to have to pay you out if you make a claim.

Do you mind me asking through who you got your insurance and what kind of area of coverage you got? I can't get over this expense of the boat!

Cheers,

Jeroen.
I've registered the boat in GB. I wanted to fly the Red Ensign and love having London on the back of the boat.

I actually need to check if there is anything specified by our insurance company. They ask the standard questions but I'll check on the safety requirements.

I did a lot of research and hunting around before I chose Pantaneaus. They have been very helpful, great communications and are allowing us to extend our coverage as we go. I contacted a lot of insurers that will cover the Med and then also the Caribbean but the Atlantic crossing is extra and then some that will not cover the South Pacific. With Pantaneaus we have 12 months Mediterranean cover that when we notify them we are heading to the Caribbean they will charge us pro rata.

Here's a basic quideline to prices, they don't really haggle that much:
Med = £2000
Caribbean = £4000
South Pacific = £6000
That includes crossing from 1 zone to the next. So for our first year, half med, half Caribbean will cost £3000.

It certainly is expensive and that's unfortunately why I'm stuck at work following my boat online 😣 and not with my wife as she sails past Lisbon.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:50   #304

Quote:
I didn't see it but it went on the same day as they stepped to mast so I'm 99% sure they used the same crane. I don't think it would be attempted by hand. It's heavy and the boat is 10' off the ground. That would be asking for trouble.

Hope that helps Mike.
That makes since.. thanks Dave,
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Which Inverter are you putting in ?
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Victron setup for the solar along with a Victron Quattor 5kw.

Consider improvement to the Swim ladder. or at least check it out. I've no idea what the latest ones are like, but mines less than stellar and I'm getting a new one made that is longer and more solid.

Curious what 'aft handrail alterations' you plan ?

I'm hoping to post our solar & BBQ mods tomorrow, now I'm in Rhodos. (though we snapped the lashing on the clew of the main coming over, so need to fix that first, soon as I figure out how !)

Grats on the new boat !

Regards

Mark.
Here's the list of parts we are having installed. It's the Victron Quattro 5kva. It's very heavy and in a massive box, I was quite taken aback when I saw it (tried to lift it).

I'm looking forward to the pics of your install, maybe there's some last minute ideas I can steal before work starts on Monday.

I found the BBQ mounted on top of the 900mm handrail was too high so I'll lower that section and extend the rails fully across the aft between the steps. I haven't decided yet weather to run plumbing to the gas bottles. I want a mount for the outboard too and a place to prep dinner on (rest my beer).

I think so far the ladder is pretty good. It was sturdy enough to climb before she went in the water when obviously there's much more weight on the ladder.

The latest report from hayley on board is that 'everything is amazing'. She had 36kts last night with just the Genoa out and no issues. Making good speed, between 6-9kts with just the head sail. I hear the cockpit enclosure is an absolute must! She loves the stability for general boat life, cooking etc.

We do need to do something about ddw tho. She's had the wind almost directly from behind for most of the trip. 6kts is ok but if we could fly another Genoa out the other side I think we would be laughing. Next thing to research.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:28   #306

Quote:
I've registered the boat in GB. I wanted to fly the Red Ensign and love having London on the back of the boat.

I actually need to check if there is anything specified by our insurance company. They ask the standard questions but I'll check on the safety requirements.

I did a lot of research and hunting around before I chose Pantaneaus. They have been very helpful, great communications and are allowing us to extend our coverage as we go. I contacted a lot of insurers that will cover the Med and then also the Caribbean but the Atlantic crossing is extra and then some that will not cover the South Pacific. With Pantaneaus we have 12 months Mediterranean cover that when we notify them we are heading to the Caribbean they will charge us pro rata.

Here's a basic quideline to prices, they don't really haggle that much:
Med = £2000
Caribbean = £4000
South Pacific = £6000
That includes crossing from 1 zone to the next. So for our first year, half med, half Caribbean will cost £3000.

It certainly is expensive and that's unfortunately why I'm stuck at work following my boat online 😣 and not with my wife as she sails past Lisbon.
I also use Pantaeus, Boat is registered in Australia. Prices are similar.

They have an excellent cruising area, and decent prices.

PS: 1/2 year in Med is not nearly enough

Regards
Mark.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00   #307

Quote:

PS: 1/2 year in Med is not nearly enough

Regards
Mark.
Don't! It's not even going to be 1/2 a year now, will be more like 3 months and then back to work before we cross the Atlantic.

I think we will concentrate on the western med this year and plan to come back and do the rest later.
Old 13-07-2017, 17:09   #308

Hi all,

Im hoping that this post may help to inspire those on the edge and thinking about quiting the rat race and going on an adventure.

Just 7 months ago we started this dream and with not a huge amount of money - certainly not of my money anyway - thank you finance - today Hayley and our Lagoon 450S broke thru the first 1000nm mark.

So while I am offshore at work, Hayley is very nearly approaching shore after her first 7 days at sea.

I admit that way more than once I didn't think this was going to happen but once we'd pulled that trigger and paid a deposit there was no turning back. I had sold our first boat which meant a great deal to me to find the deposit money and I wasn't about to let that be for nothing. We had to make it happen no matter what. We'd even decided to leave our amazing home and friends in Dubai which wasn't an easy decision. We were all in.

Maybe that's what it took for us to be able to get to this point. This is also every bit Hayley's dream as it is mine so we have helped each other to keep driving it forward and I've learned that when it comes to getting sh*t done, there is no other like my wife.

I don't want to say "just do it" but I will say that if you do, it's a very rewarding feeling when you have... and I haven't even joined the boat yet!

A picture paints a thousand words so here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	151874  
Old 15-07-2017, 16:45   #309

I'd like to turn the saloon sofa into an extra berth.

1. Does anyone have the factory fitted saloon berth and can they explain how I could copy this?
2. Has anyone done this themselves?
3. Does anyone have any ideas how I could do it?

It's not really to use as a berth but most likely to be used for chilling and watching a movie.
Old 15-07-2017, 18:11   #310

"turn the saloon sofa into an extra berth"
This consists of three parts.

1:The Large Wooden Table.
2: 2 x Short coffee table legs.
3: Cushions to go on top.

Large table on the short legs matches up to existing seats, with the addition of a cushion becomes a double bed.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 01:11   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"turn the saloon sofa into an extra berth"
This consists of three parts.

1:The Large Wooden Table.
2: 2 x Short coffee table legs.
3: Cushions to go on top.

Large table on the short legs matches up to existing seats, with the addition of a cushion becomes a double bed.
The leg support that is fixed under our table only has 4 screws into a fake wood table. I don't think this would be load bearing. Maybe from directly above but I doubt it would take a persons weight at the sides of the table?

Do you do exactly this then Paul?
Old 16-07-2017, 04:46   #312

Its pretty solid. The legs are stiff etc.

I've not used it in anger, but on a quick test, it fits into the gap pretty well, and I don't think it will tilt unless someone jumps up and down on it, or anything else energetic...

Works fine as a foot rest / oversized couch for watching TV, BUT, I wouldn't stand on it.

That said, we don't like it at all as part of making the Couch into the 'Lounge' and are looking at how to modify the whole setup to make it a lot more comfortable. I suspect the table itself will go or be modified substantially, and FAR better cushions / upholstery put on the couch itself.

Regards

Mark.
Old 16-07-2017, 10:10   #313

Quote:

That said, we don't like it at all as part of making the Couch into the 'Lounge' and are looking at how to modify the whole setup to make it a lot more comfortable. I suspect the table itself will go or be modified substantially, and FAR better cushions / upholstery put on the couch itself.

Regards

Mark.
Ok, thanks. I think the saloon I to berth option was €800!!!!! For 2x short aluminium legs and a cushion!

We totally agree, the sofa is not at all comfy enough for us to live on day to day. I'd like to make it deeper with thicker cushions. Then add a coffee table that also converts into a double berth for those bad weather days with a movie. Keep us updated on your ideas and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Ps, my broker is supplying the 2 legs for €40!
Old 16-07-2017, 14:12   #314

Cushions for anything from Lagoon are insanely priced !.

We have 4 large thick mattresses for the Trampolines. I hate to think what they cost, but never ever going to be used by us !. (and about to be for sale !

For sure we are going to redo the cockpit and lounge cushions. Thicker and higher. Its one of the Admiral's winter projects she is planning. (My wife is into sewing etc).

I've been looking at the 'timber box' construction of the salon lounge with evil thoughts of a major reconstruction involving some kind of reclining mechanism. Going to have to wait though. Need to live with the boat for a while to be sure what we want to do there.
Old 16-07-2017, 14:27   #315

"Ps, my broker is supplying the 2 legs for €40!" get him to also supply a pair of the under table brackets as well.

We currently have the large timber supplied table, 2 x 700mm square fiberglass table tops and 2 x 600mm in diameter round fiberglass table tops with the under bracket screwed on offset.

When it is just two on board these are our day to day use tops. Big enough for two to eat at. But give lots of room to get around. The offset allows them to be rotated closer or further away from the seat.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote