Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 05:30   #16

Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Dave just some random thoughts.

Yes I hear it's cheaper to have the genset fitted by SAS. I'm also thinking the 11kva Lagoon offer is too big at circa 48amp @ 230v. Each 16,000btu aircon takes 5amps and then there is the battery charger, hotwater, washing machine, watermaker etc that may run for a few hours but not all night leaving the genset massively under loaded if it's left on the run aircon overnight. A smaller genset circa 6-7kva and juggling the loads maybe a better option.

Inverter / charger, I plan to go for a Victron 3kva because it has a programmable charge profile and dedicated battery voltage sensing wire which may future proof me if I go for lithium batteries or other new tech latter on.

Solar panel mounting, I like the idea of some big solar panels at the aft end of the boat but would like to better keep the lines and look of the boat. Maybe something more like a stainless steel framed Bimini extending over the aft end with the same color fabric Lagoon uses and semi flexible solar panels attached to that fabric. Plus from the cockpit you wouldn't be looking up at the bottom of the solar panels.

50 vs 60hz, I've seen aircon units rated at 220-250v and 50 to 60hz. I'm not sure what Lagoon fits as standard. I note you will get aircon later so these unit if you can get them they maybe beneficial. I don't think hz makes a difference to your battery charger. Washing machines etc are normally sensitive but can be fun from the inverter or genset if needed.

Boom furling, I'm not sure if I want this but understand it's far cheaper to get this done when the boat is masted. I'm not sure if Lagoon would give you a credit for the standard boom.

The Yamnar 57 have the option of a second 120amp, just curious if you were given a price for that.

Good luck Dave. As events unfold I'm interested in your thoughts on the options, the Lagoon build process, the commissioning and post factory options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hi John,

We've gone for a fair amount of options as we are non EU resident so taking advantage of the VAT savings as much as possible and I wanted to negotiate as much in as possible and then take options out if we want to.

Here's our big ticket items:
Comfort pack
Alpi interior
Composite Bimini
All exterior upholstery
57hp's
Folding props
Watermaker
Electric heads
Washing machine
Dishwasher (both were non negotiable with my wife)
All the electronics but not TV

I thought the genny, tender, AC, solar panals, downwind sails were all too expensive thru Lagoon so we are sourcing them elsewhere.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55   #17

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

I would suggest if you are planning to have a genset ...... get Lagoon to fit it. If you do it after market .... you could have endless fights on your hands as any electrical issues will most probably be blamed on the after market installation of the genset and vice versa....... it gives Lagoon a place to hide. It is not the absolute cost you must look at

Having sailed a Lagoon 450F for two weeks in Sept ..... The ice maker was a complete waste of time (due to the way it was configured on this Lagoon) it only ran on 220v ..(in do not know if ice makers being configured for 12V and or 220V .. it is either one or the other) .... so it either needs to be connected to an inverter or will only work when the genset or shore power is on ...... which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike And we had to pour lots of water into the ice maker water tank to get a marginal output of ice.

Also the external "cooler box" fitted in the cockpit was useless as well as it melted the ice we put in there to cool drinks etc ....... in less than 1 hour

I would suggest just getting a domestic counter top ice maker at 20% of the price

Other than that .... IMHO ...... a great choice for the 450S over the 450F .... but that is a whole different story
Lambretta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:44   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

Congratulations!
We received our 450S in September and absolutely love it. After testing a Fly version and having had a 400 S2, we decided on the S version. I guess that you either hate or love the Flybridge.

In the Med, where we sail, you always back up to the quay and need good visibility of the stern. The 450F that I tested drove me crazy in this aspect. The 450S have much better ergonomics for the helm, you can choose between a comfortable seat or standing up without bending yourself double as I am 193 cm tall (6'4").

We didn't take the A/C since we don't see the need where we sail. The sea rarely gets above 25 C, and with the sea breeze things rarely get too hot.

To my surprise, there were no major glitches in the delivery. Our dealer fixed the small things on the fly and now we just wait for summer again.

Good Luck!
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:31   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

We've made a couple of changes and even saved some money which is very unusual for my wife [emoji6]. We sat and chose the upholstery, wood options and finalised some of the other spec etc which was probably the most fun 2 hours ever! Here's a pic of the Mrs in her element.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	137737

We decided we didn't like the Alpi teak and feel the light oak was more modern which saved 2000euro and the shark brown upholstery isn't brown at all but more grey which saved another 320euro.

Other things I've added is a mast tricolour light, square top main and carpet in the master cabin only.

The genny we have gone for is variable rpm so drops down to 1500rpm when there's low load and it's being supplied by our broker so he'll take care of any warranty issues.

We are going for 6x flexible solar panals and not sure of exact locations yet but I'm not keen on looking up at the underside of them.

The thing I really want is some underwater lights but we are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so for now I just can't justify them.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36   #20

David I have underwater lights on my current boat. They are nice but the novelty wears off. A friend uses a couple of these for fishing and partying and they are quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/Goture-10-8w-...2%3A2661618011

What genset are you getting?
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 14:41   #21

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Great thread, and thanks all for the info. I am in the early research stage and taking in all I can. One poster mentioned having the boat wired for 220 instead of 110. Question -possibly dumb - I am familiar with the stepping down 220 to 110, but what is the reverse process? That is, if you live primarily in the US and most docks have 110, how would you ever plug in if the boat is set up for 220? (I ask because they mentioned the $10k converter they could have saved on). Thanks.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 20:42   #22

What genset are you getting?[/QUOTE]

We've gone for the Paguro 9000V
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:10   #23

We bought a new 450S and have been living on it since August. There is no bilge alarm. Good choice on the 220v. My thoughts are make sure you do whatever you can to upgrade their refrigeration. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
We bought a new 450S and have been living on it since August. There is no bilge alarm. Good choice on the 220v. My thoughts are make sure you do whatever you can to upgrade their refrigeration. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Hi Mike,

We have gone for the ss fridge and ss freezer and also the ss cockpit drawer fridge. I can't believe I'm paying 1,500euro for a 36l fridge but I really think we need it and if it makes the most of the space under the stairs then hopefully it's worth it.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:19   #25

Boat: Lagoon 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hi Mike,

We have gone for the ss fridge and ss freezer and also the ss cockpit drawer fridge. I can't believe I'm paying 1,500euro for a 36l fridge but I really think we need it and if it makes the most of the space under the stairs then hopefully it's worth it.
Can you post of picture of the stainless steel cockpit drawer fridge?
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 20:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
Can you post of picture of the stainless steel cockpit drawer fridge?

Hi,
The frustrating thing about buying the S is there in no specific brochure. We have been using the F brochure. I've requested specific details on products but unless someone already has the cockpit fridge and can post a pic, all I have is a render and the location. I like that the void under the stairs between the F hull and the S stairs is made use of.

Here's the render I found:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	137842
Old 10-12-2016, 20:26   #27

I never new there was a cockpit fridge the only place I can see they could put it is in that cabinet on the pick posted. For me that is valuable storage as it is the only cabinet in the saloon! David have a look on Facebook "Proud Cat" there is an album of the things I added and what I used. Some real time photos of the 450S
Old 10-12-2016, 20:30   #28

Any idea what that is? When I look behind that area. It has the stairs and everything from the 450L just like they dropped in a mold on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481430504493.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	137843  
Old 10-12-2016, 20:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Any idea what that is? When I look behind that area. It has the stairs and everything from the 450L just like they dropped in a mold on top.

That's the SS cockpit drawer fridge at 1550euro and why I posted that pic. Yes, they drop a 'S' mould on top of the 'F'. I thought it's good to make the best possible use of that void and if the cockpit fridge occupies the whole space then it's worth it.

I agree, I want the cockpit cupboard to store cleaning stuff.

Could you post a link to the fb page. All I find are the furry type of cat if I look for Proud Cat.
Old 10-12-2016, 20:44   #30

https://www.facebook.com/prowlingtheseas/