Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 03:17   #106

Boat: Lagoon 450
Just signed on a new 450s!

960W seen 52A charge. An advantage of L450F with Leisure Furl. Yes the 80m2 mainsail is on the boom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3315.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	140708
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	140709
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55   #107

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Has anyone with a 450s and the composite Bimini considered adding solar panels to the roof of that?

I measured it at 2.1m x 1.7m obviously minus the sliding access door but I'm sure a couple of panels could fit up there?

Aesthetically, I'd prefer a row of 3 panels (I know I'll want more) over the stern plus 2 up on the Bimini roof.

Can anyone with the composite Bimini approximate what would fit up there and is it a good idea?
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:00   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Has anyone with a 450s and the composite Bimini considered adding solar panels to the roof of that?

I measured it at 2.1m x 1.7m obviously minus the sliding access door but I'm sure a couple of panels could fit up there?

Aesthetically, I'd prefer a row of 3 panels (I know I'll want more) over the stern plus 2 up on the Bimini roof.

Can anyone with the composite Bimini approximate what would fit up there and is it a good idea?
I have consider this, but between the huge amount of time that the top is shaded by the main, along with the issues of getting the cables below I didn't feel it was justified. I wish I would have went with 6 - 327 watt panels instead of the 5 I installed. Either added a 6th panel in the current frame by extending it out each side or go with 3 panels back to back.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 20:00   #109

Also, what do you think looks and functions better:
6x panels bow to stern or,
2x rows of 3 panels port to starboard.

I'd like to keep the lines of the boat as much as possible and not feel like I'm looking up at a huge slab of solar panels.
I'd also like to store boards on top of the davits so need to be careful where I place the vertical frame supports.

I believe the distance between the flybridge aft supports is 4.2m. Option 1 will be 6m wide x 1.6m long and option 2 is 4.8m wide by 2.0m long.
Any opinions?
Old 05-02-2017, 21:07   #110

My setup is 6 x 1 panels across the back 6 meters by 1 meter

Steve450 iset up is 3 x 2 across the back 4.5 meters x 2 meters

Steves set up I believe is superior to mine although extending an extra 500mm aft it is 1.5 meters narrower and just looks more in keeping with the lines of the boat. I also believe it suffers from less boom shadows than mine because you can move boom shadow off the panels easier because of the 1.5 narrower set up.

The Panels across the back provide very useful sun and rain protection for the rear cockpit area. As well as a 130 plus amp battery charger.
It provide somewhere to hang the fishing rods under and a sun blind off, that can drop down when required. On anchor we use the blind at least once every day to block the sun.

When designing your solar structure think about a way to lift Dinghy outboard on board if and when required, lot easier and cheaper to do two or more jobs with the same structure.

Make sure you give the panels a slight fall to the back to clear rain and keep it off the coach roof. Something I did not do and regret it every time it rains.

This will also aid in keeping the panels clean a small amount of dust can have a surprising detrimental effect on there output.

May even be worth while to incorporate a small gutter with hose attachment to facilitate rain collection. Water maker water is OK but it is dead water that you pay to make one way or the other. Free from the sky water that is also good for the herb garden as well as you is a win win.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 06:07   #111

So our build deadline has now passed and our decisions are locked in for better or worse.

Despite my bank managers advice in the end I did go for the electric davit winch. I'll want to store the dinghy out of the water every day and I can see that being more likely with the electric winch.

I also opted for the teak cockpit last minute after quotes for flexi teak and perma teak coming in at over €7000 ( all be it for the whole stern ).

I haven't ordered anything for the solar install yet but I've made my decisions and I'm going all Victron and the Quattro 5kva as advised. I've even designed my tower but once I've got some proper drawings I'll start to get quotes.

I'm going for 6 panels in a 3x2 config and think I've come up with a nice design that will look nice as well as function.
Old 18-02-2017, 07:10   #112

Dave I'm interested to see what design you come up with for the solar panels. I'm thinking of aluminum L channel or maybe C channel around the perimeter of the six panels with some T channel between the panels. Under the panels some thin white acrylic panels to cover up the bottom of the solar panels with a few Lagoon down lights and some holes for ventilation and drainage.

Aluminum channel is cheap and you can take it to a shop to get it welded. The supports from the deck to the aluminum frame would be stainless steel.

I'm thinking it's also feasible to get a car shop to wrap the aluminum frame in white vinyl, the same as they use to wrap cars. That stuff seems pretty durable.

Also put points under the frame for a sun shade, rod and pole holders, etc. points at the back of the frame for the stern light and two worklights.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 07:11   #113

Dave a question, when the boat is delivered does it come with spare light switches, door knobs or any other spares?
Old 18-02-2017, 07:26   #114

I have no idea John, I'll find out in June but I don't expect so. I had to negotiate a years worth of engine spares into the deal so I doubt there will be any cosmetic spares
Old 18-02-2017, 07:27   #115

I will keep this updated all along the way tho and try to answer as many questions as I can. Just as again in June
Old 18-02-2017, 08:29   #116

Hi John,

I'm sorry I only saw your most recent post. I use the app and it misses some posts for some reason. I was trying to upload a photo on the browser and then saw the earlier post. To answer, I'm going all stainless, 50mm 2mm angle for the frame, 40mm tube for the uprights. A frame of 4.8m x 2.1m using all 50mm angle will use just under 32m of angle. Using the same materials for the whole frame might be cheaper and I think look better than mixing metals. Labour will be the bigger cost but instal should be fairly simple.

I plan to fix the frame to the top of the flybridge posts then have 2 upright posts (50mm tube) supporting the mid section (these will bear most of the load and the location of these is tricky but I think I can make it work). The aftermost supports are welded to the end of the davits (more for security than support but will stop any flex). Nb. Davits max load is 250kg.

I'll add 2x 25mm tubes from fwd to aft to store everything from boards to boat hooks and also carry the aft panel cables back towards the flybridge to penetrate inside the boat. And a 3rd 25mm tube from fwd to aft to lift the engine from.

Once it's all polished it should look good and also be neat and tidy while adding storage plus as you say, a place for lighting the stern and BBQ, fit blinds to and even make electricity. All these ideas have come from this forum and the guys willing help.

When I have a proper drawing I will post it but at present it's all in my head.
Old 18-02-2017, 09:20   #117

Thanks Dave. You frame sounds good and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Is the work being done in France?

It looks like I need to add a few spare light switches (for ones that fail and things I want to add), hinges, draw locks, etc to my list.
Old 18-02-2017, 09:32   #118

I'm not sure where to get it fabricated. I'll get some quotes from France. Company recommendations are more than welcome but I may get it fabricated in Dubai and ship it over if it works out cost effective. There is cheap labour costs in Dubai and I can make sure I get exactly what I want. I'll still need it installing in France and I have other stainless work I want doing too so will help speed things along.
Old 18-02-2017, 09:44   #119

For both Dave and John.

Did you order the Flybridge or the Sportop? I am getting closer in my decision making process and am wondering about why people have made their choices. I have been on the 450F but not the 450S. And as it will only be for two of us most times am wondering if the Sportop might be a better choice
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 09:47   #120

Try these guys. I've been told good things but have no personal experience
Robin Marine - Pleasure-boating