Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 19:57   #46

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Roslyn View Post
Hi Daveindubai. Check out the thread in Lagoon forum a bit further down the page on Code 0 and in particular how you can skip the spinnaker, genaker and code 0 and get a Wingaker. Buy from them directly and get training and a fantastic sail at a fraction of the cost of a factory bought sail. We haven't bought ours yet but will be in the new year after the European winter. We've tested the Wingaker and are convinced it's the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I have been thinking the same. Partly due to sun damage of a furled geneker as we will be in the tropics or Med mostly and partly due to cost.

Did you get the deck gear installed by the factory?
Old 14-12-2016, 22:23   #47

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran

We are also Med based for the next 2-3 years before Caribbean (and maybe beyond?). Our boat came with the Code 0 manual winch fitted on port side towards the stern. Starboard side Wingaker sheets are run back via blocks to the helm winches. We have already bought another manual winch to fit to starboard near stern so that everything is balanced and simpler to trim the sail once up. I would probably think about this and have it done at the factory as removing the headliner in aft cabins and mounting the stern winches for the Wingaker can be tricky.

Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:57   #48

Quote:
We are also Med based for the next 2-3 years before Caribbean (and maybe beyond?). Our boat came with the Code 0 manual winch fitted on port side towards the stern. Starboard side Wingaker sheets are run back via blocks to the helm winches. We have already bought another manual winch to fit to starboard near stern so that everything is balanced and simpler to trim the sail once up. I would probably think about this and have it done at the factory as removing the headliner in aft cabins and mounting the stern winches for the Wingaker can be tricky.

So I met with our broker again today and discussed a few options. He recommended as you say fitting the bow sprit, blocks and 2 winches and we are going to get a gennaker made to suit us. Something quite deep for downwind but also on a furler so it's all manageable on my own. If we find we are missing dead downwind, we'll broach that at the time but I've emailed Wingaker to see what he says.

I actually googled wingaker and your website comes up so I had a good read and got the details from there. Great website by the way and coincidentally I even follow you on instagram! Love your boat, she's stunning! Thanks for the advice.
Old 15-12-2016, 12:04   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
We opted for the Code 0. It's not meant to be a downwind sail although it will work as one. In hindsight, I would have purchased a parasailor for downwind cat sailing.

Depends where you are sailing. We took delivery in Les Sables d'Olonne in October '15 and we were glad to have enclosures around the aft salon. We have been in the tropics for the last year now and they haven't seen daylight since storing them away.

We have A/C and the admiral uses it more than I would prefer, but hey, it keeps her happy. We went with the 13.5kw genset. You don't want to be caught short or have to worry about it.

We have underwater lights. Nice novelty that attracts fish and keeps the admiral entertained.

We are going to be in warm climes most of the time so opted to go without the cockpit canvas. We live in Dubai so don't fair too well in the cold [emoji6].

I'm also going for the underwater lights, I know they are a completely unnecessary hole in a brand new boat but I love them. I've wanted them for the last 4 years on my current boat but never got them so I'm sourcing my own lights to be fitted in France before launching.
Old 15-12-2016, 12:11   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddindubai View Post
We are going to be in warm climes most of the time so opted to go without the cockpit canvas. We live in Dubai so don't fair too well in the cold [emoji6].

I'm also going for the underwater lights, I know they are a completely unnecessary hole in a brand new boat but I love them. I've wanted them for the last 4 years on my current boat but never got them so I'm sourcing my own lights to be fitted in France before launching.
What is it that you find so attractive about underwater lights? Not being critical in any way, just curious.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 12:51   #51

Hi Dave. I had no idea that our website pops up on Google so close to the top when you Google the word Wingaker. I wrote a blog post a few months ago saying how much we wanted one of these sails. If you type Saba 50. We are about on page 10 of a Google search. Anyway I think the correct website for the sail is www.wingaker.com. Thanks for the compliments though. My daughter runs the instagram so going forward that will have the coolest images I guess. Cheers Nic

Old 15-12-2016, 12:55   #52

Hi Dave. With reference to the code 0 on a furler. It's a great sail to have but remember it's a light wind sail without a UV strip on the edge. We have one which we call "The Beast" and I do love it as a sail. However leaving it up in the summer months requires a sock to be slid up the sail when not in use and tightened with a lacing system to save the sail from the sun and to prevent the sail from flogging and destroying itself if the wind comes up at Anchor. It fuels OK but it's such a big sail and cut so that wind can get in and cause issues when furled. Here's a picture to show the size of the code 0.

Old 15-12-2016, 12:56   #53

Sorry furls not fuels....

Old 15-12-2016, 12:57   #54

Code 0 sail on Saba 50

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481835426581.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	138064  
Old 15-12-2016, 20:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
What is it that you find so attractive about underwater lights? Not being critical in any way, just curious.

[emoji4]Underwater lights have always seemed to me to be something ultra wealthy people have on their super yachts and living in Dubai there are plenty around. I think they look cool when on the berth, are good for fish at anchor and I love watching the wake when underway.

This is the Sheikh's boat at the boat show last year.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	138075
Old 15-12-2016, 20:50   #56

Quote:
Hi Dave. With reference to the code 0 on a furler. It's a great sail to have but remember it's a light wind sail without a UV strip on the edge. We have one which we call "The Beast" and I do love it as a sail. However leaving it up in the summer months requires a sock to be slid up the sail when not in use and tightened with a lacing system to save the sail from the sun and to prevent the sail from flogging and destroying itself if the wind comes up at Anchor. It fuels OK but it's such a big sail and cut so that wind can get in and cause issues when furled. Here's a picture to show the size of the code 0.

I was concerned about the sun so I'll drop the sail whenever we are not using it. The furler has a quick release and I'm told it's 5 mins work to store it away.
Old 16-12-2016, 02:40   #57

Boat: Lagoon 450

I have said it before but I love the Wingaker on our L450 (168 sq m). Lothar is excellent to deal with. Have a look for my YouTube videos for the set up. You must fit the bowsprit and get the gennaker. The bow sprit is essential if you want to maximize the angles you can fly the Wingaker to. I find Wingaker 180-130 deg, gennaker 130-90 deg, jib 90 deg to 55 deg. Wingaker 4-30kts if dead downwind.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:35   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
[emoji4]Underwater lights have always seemed to me to be something ultra wealthy people have on their super yachts and living in Dubai there are plenty around. I think they look cool when on the berth, are good for fish at anchor and I love watching the wake when underway.

This is the Sheikh's boat at the boat show last year.Attachment 138075
Life is short, you should get as much pleasure as possible and thanks for your answer. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:48   #59

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
So I met with our broker again today and discussed a few options. He recommended as you say fitting the bow sprit, blocks and 2 winches and we are going to get a gennaker made to suit us. Something quite deep for downwind but also on a furler so it's all manageable on my own. If we find we are missing dead downwind, we'll broach that at the time but I've emailed Wingaker to see what he says.

I actually googled wingaker and your website comes up so I had a good read and got the details from there. Great website by the way and coincidentally I even follow you on instagram! Love your boat, she's stunning! Thanks for the advice.
That's interesting, you need to add the port winch on the 450S which is not necessary on the 450F. The 450F has a port winch in the fly bridge.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 04:04   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
We bought a new 450S and have been living on it since August. There is no bilge alarm. Good choice on the 220v. My thoughts are make sure you do whatever you can to upgrade their refrigeration. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I am about to go service an autopilot on a lagoon 450 in Bahamas. All the owner can tell me is that it is a raymarine 30. What I would like to do, is buy a new one and take it with me and change out the whole system, have the old one repaired and keep it as a spare. But I need help figuring out how the autopilot works after the controller. In other words, electric, hydraulic??? How does this system work so I make sure to carry the correct one? Otherwise it will be two trips. Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance
DouglasK is offline   Reply With Quote