Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 15:13   #571

Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Hi Dave & all here.

Sorry to read the recent post about the heater.

I was shocked and very concerned about how you were left to your own device.

Sounds like poor commissioning – I was informed by my agent that the tanks have to wash out a few times and maybe someone turned on the water heater – element was covered in the disinfectant/antifreeze and then boiled and stuck to it…. So the dealer/commissioning agent should look after it"

Update on our Little Star
It looks like the 3rd week in March when we take charge. 80% of the safety and inventory done.

AS you know we are registered for the ARC + and I am using WCC 2018 safety regs as a guide along with complying with our country of registration regs

Looking forward to the vids too.

regards

George

Any advice on how to get emails when someone posts here?
sidetracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 15:27   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRYOWEN View Post
I heard that the cartridges are inside the bladder meaning they must be shipped back to manufacturer for service / inspection ...that sounds like a p.i.t.a.
Hi GarryOwen

Thanks for your reply.

I notice the factory fit in a recent video

I am think of the ocean signal mob1 You can wear it on your person.

Any opinion on this option.

regards
George
Old 14-02-2018, 16:40   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetracks View Post
Hi GarryOwen

Thanks for your reply.

I notice the factory fit in a recent video

I am think of the ocean signal mob1 You can wear it on your person.

Any opinion on this option.

regards
George
Please ignore above post

I was mixing the Ocean Signal MOB1 with the Ocean Signal PLB!

I am going with the MOB1 for the following reasons:

"Once activated your MOB1 will transmit an alert to all AIS receivers and AIS enabled plotters in the vicinity. The integrated GPS ensures precise location is sent to your vessel and any others that may be assisting.

An additional feature of the MOB1, is its ability to activate the DSC alarm on your vessels VHF, alerting your crew to the situation."

The big downside to the PLB1 that I see. Is that it has to be manually activated

Model Numbers are important
Old 16-02-2018, 19:42   #574

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

All,
In the spirit of being honest and balanced, I’d like to close out ‘water heater gate’.

Despite a little pressure being required, our broker has paid for all of our repairs.
When we purchased Susan Ann II it was agreed and understood that we’d be sailing around the world and that many of our issues would not be next door to a friendly Lagoon dealer. As we are frequently on the move, logistically, it’s very difficult to organize support. Our broker has tried, where possible, to help out but I think that often the response from Lagoon is “it’s not covered” or more likely “it’s covered by the manufacturer”.

It seems that you buy a Ferrari (I’m by no means suggesting a Lagoon is a Ferrari, however I did 13.5kts today!) and then if the B$O stereo in your Ferrari stops working then it’s your responsibility to contact B&O about your issue and Ferrari play no part in the process. I can’t quite get my head around this but buyers of new boats will need warranty details for all the major items, it’s defo faster to go direct. This is not a broker specific issue, we have friends who have done the same thing. Our AIS unit was changed out inside a week dealing direct with B&G. From the states to St Martin. No questions. Good work B&G! The same with our friends VHF.

I think that maybe that fact that I’m new to this industry or am feeling isolated as we are a long way from the type of support I’d be used to (there’s no kwikfit / auto repair shop around the corner) that I felt like our warranty wasn’t being upheld as I’d expected.

My advice is, keep up the communication, be transparent, honest and when you get a ‘no’, keep pushing. It’s a brand new boat, your dream, it should run perfectly.

In the end, I sourced a new water heater, fitted it and my broker has reimbursed me the full cost. Which considering our circumstances, is the best I can hope for. It’s faster for me to repair something and keep on with our plans than to have to plan a stop in a marina and book in an engineer.

Whatever the cause of the issue, I’ve bought a spare anode and will check the water heater in 3 months. (Manual says check anode every 12 months).

Good news is, we have plenty of clean, hot water and all onboard are happy!!!
Old 17-02-2018, 02:45   #575

Hi Dave

Thanks for the update and totally understand.
Another happy ending.

Just viewed your latest video. Coincidently I just bought a few packs of scotch pads for cleaning our copper hull yesterday. From the £ shop

We have our padi licience but no gear. Any recommendation on equipment. Prices etc.

Just finished all our safety & other inventory including a secondary fortress FX-23 anchor

Hope to have a handover date early next week

Regards
George
Old 21-02-2018, 12:14   #576

Hi George, my dive gear was all purchased in the ‘90’s and I’m not even kidding!

I’m currently researching what kit is good to maybe get some new gear. Maybe ask me again in a couple of months.
Old 21-02-2018, 13:32   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hi George, my dive gear was all purchased in the ‘90’s and I’m not even kidding!

I’m currently researching what kit is good to maybe get some new gear. Maybe ask me again in a couple of months.

Hi Dave

The roaring 90's

Understand

Will keep an eye out for good deals on this side of the world.

regards
George
Old 21-02-2018, 15:24   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetracks View Post
Hi Dave

Thanks for the update and totally understand.
Another happy ending.

Just viewed your latest video. Coincidently I just bought a few packs of scotch pads for cleaning our copper hull yesterday. From the £ shop

We have our padi licience but no gear. Any recommendation on equipment. Prices etc.

Just finished all our safety & other inventory including a secondary fortress FX-23 anchor

Hope to have a handover date early next week

Regards
George
We use a hooka
https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-152...em-Hookah.html

Can also put it in the dinghy and do limited diving on reefs
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 17:02   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post

So you are going with something in between :

or

Sorry for being a bit off-450s topic (while i thing second option is best for storage on a boat ...)
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 19:01   #580

Hi Dave,
We have just bought a new 450S.
Who did the stainless steel work for you? Did you do it in Gibraltar? How much did it cost?

I plan to sail to the Caribbean and this will be my home port. Do you use your full cockpit enclosure there? Or is it just enough to order the cockpit shade covers.

Thank you
Nim
Nimrodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 20:44   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodh View Post
Hi Dave,
Who did the stainless steel work for you? Did you do it in Gibraltar? How much did it cost?

I plan to sail to the Caribbean and this will be my home port. Do you use your full cockpit enclosure there? Or is it just enough to order the cockpit shade covers.

Thank you
Nim

Re cockpit covers. In Caribbean winter/summer no need for cockpit covers/clears, shades yes.. Depends on where you plan to spend summer. If you go to NE USA eg Chesapeake, for Hurricane season you will appreciate shades and then full covers from Sept until you get to Florida/Caribbean in December.

If you plan to spend hurricane season in Southern Caribbean you will not need full covers, but will probably appreciate full insect screening instead.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:34   #582

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thank you

Nim

100% you’ll need the cockpit covers! All it does in the Caribbean is rain and blow
Old 24-02-2018, 08:37   #583

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thank you

Nim

Yes, we did the stainless frame in Gib and the cost was approximately £3000 for stainless, £3000 for electrical such as inverter, solar controllers etc and £3000 for the electricians to do the install. There’s much more detail previously in the thread.
Old 24-02-2018, 08:45   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Re cockpit covers. In Caribbean winter/summer no need for cockpit covers/clears, shades yes.. Depends on where you plan to spend summer. If you go to NE USA eg Chesapeake, for Hurricane season you will appreciate shades and then full covers from Sept until you get to Florida/Caribbean in December.

If you plan to spend hurricane season in Southern Caribbean you will not need full covers, but will probably appreciate full insect screening instead.

I’m afraid that’s not our experience this season. We’ve been in the Caribbean December to mid feb and counting and I think we’ve had the sides up once or twice. The back covers have only been down on the Atlantic crossing at night and as much to keep wave noise down as offer protection. But still I would not want to be without them! Also, you can’t buy only the sides from Lagoon.

In our experience, the S and F owners use the screens differently. We have an S and find that the cockpit is fully protected from wind and rain with the sides down and Bimini closed. However the F, needs to close the screens that block the stair wells up to the helm if it rains.

NB: we have been told that this season has had more wind and rain than any for 20 years. I believe it! I don’t think we’ve had 1 day without rain and certainly not one day under 15kts.
Old 24-02-2018, 08:49   #585

I recently found this really nice solar install which is similar to ours but gives 4 panels instead of 3 like ours. I didn’t get a boat name so I can’t give credit but I hope the owner doesn’t mind. It’s a VERY slick install. Hopefully the pics might inspire someone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	164729Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	164730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	80.8 KB