Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 20:20   #16

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

My 2015 380 owners head drain in the floor goes direct to the bilge. Other modes I hear have a dump. I hate when I change the joker valve that some waste goes into the bilge. If you are setup like that it is best to add watercto the bilge and either wet vac it out, or have enough liquid for the pump to go on. Small amounts will not get out.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:56   #17
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
My 2015 380 owners head drain in the floor goes direct to the bilge. Other modes I hear have a dump. I hate when I change the joker valve that some waste goes into the bilge. If you are setup like that it is best to add watercto the bilge and either wet vac it out, or have enough liquid for the pump to go on. Small amounts will not get out.
Oh that is super gross! Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended).
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:31   #18

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Thanks Peggie, you are awesome! I'll let you know when I start work on it-we were thinking we'd pull the toilets when we're there next week and then let the yard put the new ones in when we're there again in Jan, but now we're rethinking the sequence...
I recently replaced my ancient Jabsco electric toilet and redid all the plumbing. Peggie's advice was great and saved me money and grief. One of her many tips was to use K-Y jelly to help with the hose connections, that with heat (air or hot water) really helped.

Whether you DIY, or have someone else do the work, I highly recommend reading Peggie's book before you finalize your plans; in the end, you're more likely to finish the project flushed with success:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/B01BW2ZSTW/
hodgmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

We are full time and have had the Sea-Era kit for a couple of years or so, with the programmable flush box.
It has been perfect so far, In fact I changed the first joker valve the other day, which was childishly easy to do.
Before I changed to the Sea -Era I had replaced the holding tank and the hoses with Sani-flex hoses, again not a bad job at all, being flexible makes all the difference, do cut the old hoses off.
One mistake I made was I ran 1.5” hoses, the Sea-Era and I assume other macerating electric toilets can use a 1” hose. I assume the 1” hose would be even easier to run and due to its smaller diameter it would flush completely clear with less water than a 1.5” hose.
With the Sani-flex hose, I didn’t need any heat or soapy water, it stretches easily enough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:34   #20

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Oh that is super gross! Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended).
If you had kids, replacing the toilet shouldn't be as tough as a diaper blowout
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...One mistake I made was I ran 1.5” hoses, the Sea-Era and I assume other macerating electric toilets can use a 1” hose. I assume the 1” hose would be even easier to run and due to its smaller diameter it would flush completely clear with less water than a 1.5” hose.
With the Sani-flex hose, I didn’t need any heat or soapy water, it stretches easily enough.
FWIW, after 20+ yrs with the Jabsco macerator toilet and it's 1 inch hose, I came to the opposite conclusion - every clog I had to clear was in the 1 inch joker, hose or Y-valve. Especially noisome were the 1 to 1-1/2 adapters (one at holding tank, another to the discharge anti-siphon loop) that formed choke points due to the much reduced inside diameter. So I installed the new SeaEra using only 1-1/2 inch discharge plumbing.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It was an assumption, but I’m having trouble understanding how you can clog a macerating toilet? I guess too little water?

I did make the stupid mistake once of flushing a baby wipe that said it was flushable, at least this one wasn’t, in fact I don’t think it was even paper, pretty sure it was actually plastic.
It didn’t go through the macerator, so it was easy to remove.

As far as being nasty, flush the beejesus out of the thing and that of course flushes the hoses clean etc. I pumped gallons of chlorox and water mix though before pulling hoses etc.
Probably really bad for the hoses and the operating parts of the head, but they were all being replaced, so why not disinfect every thing?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59   #23

Flushing with more water definitely helps. But it's never 100%. I think some of the clogs I experienced were like death by a thousand cuts - slow build-up. I think it was mainly slow build-up because some of the old hoses and fittings had a lot of crud built-up annularly (not just on the bottom). The slow build-up should be way less of an issue with 1-1/2 inch hose since it has more than twice the flow area as 1 inch hose and the build-up rate will be the same.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:13   #24

While you are at it you may just want to replace the hoses.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:27   #25

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I have changed several marine toilets and it sounds to me like you are under some misconception. When you remove your marine toilet there will not be a hole in the floor for waste, as in a house. Its solid floor under the toilet. All inflow(water) and outflow(waste) is via hoses attached to the perimeter of toilet. Bolt patterns between different toilets rarely line up so you may want to have starboard on hand to overlay old mounting area to create a new base for the new toilet. Simply cut board to good looking size, screw to old floor, , mark holes for new toilet, pre drill and install new toilet. This makes a very attractive install with no stains, holes from old toilet showing. BTW, my Jabasco quiet flush are 10 years old and other than r/r 1 solenoid have been maintain free. Follow manufacture directions.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30   #26

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

As far as hoses are concerned, place a warm damp cloth on a hose. 1 hour later remove and smell. If you have any unpleasant odor your hose needs replacing.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:57   #27
Marine Service Provider

I hate when I change the joker valve that some waste goes into the bilge.

Not a single drop will go into the bilge if you put a pan or plastic trash can liner under the discharge fitting before you disconnect it..AFTER you've flushed at least a gallon of clean fresh water through the toilet.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 13:05   #28
Marine Service Provider

A cupful or two--no more!--of distilled white vinegar flushed through the toilet and hoses every week or two will prevent sea water mineral and/or urine crystal buildup in the toilet and plumbing. After 45-60 minutes, follow the vinegar with a couple of quarts of clean FRESH water. Do not leave vinegar sitting in the bowl...it'll destroy the joker valve.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 07:14   #29
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
II highly recommend reading Peggie's book before you finalize your plans; in the end, you're more likely to finish the project flushed with success:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/B01BW2ZSTW/
I saw that in her signature-it's on my kindle wish list for christmas now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
If you had kids, replacing the toilet shouldn't be as tough as a diaper blowout
Yes, two daughters one year apart, so I was knee deep in it for a while. My only observation is that fresh poop is a lot more tolerable to me than fermented poop. I about passed out when they were pumping my septic tank in one of my houses because I stood downwind of the operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
While you are at it you may just want to replace the hoses.
Definitely.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 09:16   #30

Use a wet/dry vacuum to remove/control/ contain blackwater spills and drips.
Home Depot sells a handy item called a "Bucket Head" --- wet/dry vacuum unit that fits on a 5 gallon plastic bucket. About $25....lots of uses, easy to stow aboard, every boat should have one.........
ja62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass