Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 04:45   #16
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Interior wood & varnish 2006

Thanks for sharing Keith ! nice job for sure and I agree it doesn't look bad at all ! I will let you know how it goes for me.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 12:24   #17

I have just had a similar problem when revarnishing a cherry coloured door. The bits where it had gone right back to the wood were a much lighter colour than the rest when the new varnish went on.
The solution was simple once I'd found a suitably stained varnish, (had to try a few as they seem to come out looking nothing like what's on the lid). You've already got the clear varnish on and dry so this stained varnish will not soak into the wood and irretrievably change the colour. It can be applied with something like an artist's paint brush and feathered into a new wet coat of the clear varnish as much or as little as you like. The end result was a big improvement on the patchy effect beforehand.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 06:28   #18
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
I have just had a similar problem when revarnishing a cherry coloured door. The bits where it had gone right back to the wood were a much lighter colour than the rest when the new varnish went on.
The solution was simple once I'd found a suitably stained varnish, (had to try a few as they seem to come out looking nothing like what's on the lid). You've already got the clear varnish on and dry so this stained varnish will not soak into the wood and irretrievably change the colour. It can be applied with something like an artist's paint brush and feathered into a new wet coat of the clear varnish as much or as little as you like. The end result was a big improvement on the patchy effect beforehand.
Thank you Perna, I wish you shared that information 3 days ago ! Yeah it took me some sanding to get rid of the too-red-cherry stained varnish, and could not totally remove it actually... well, not too bad, that was just a small part.

I just finished a clear varnish coat and will proceed with the stained varnish tomorrow.

I was not so happy with the table top so I gently sanded it with 400 grit and this time I used a roller instead of a brush. Looks good ! Will see when it is dry.

However that same roller did not bring the same effect on other table top I decided to varnish this morning. When looking closely it looks a bit like orange peel. its like the varnish does not hold on many small spots & scratches. Maybe I should try to make thinner layers ?
Old 21-01-2018, 07:05   #19
rom

Re Orange peel effect: maybe sanding an unknown & old previous varnish with 320 grit is too light and doesnt provide enough grip ? I should have started with 240 grit or so ?
Old 21-01-2018, 07:28   #20

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Rom,
I don't want to be insulting but it does not sound like you have the refinishing skills necessary to coat this salon table to your high standards. I have been refinishing wood for over 20 years and consider myself highly skilled yet I still take pause when tackling a project like a high gloss table. My suggestion is remove the table and take it to a professional to refinish in his shop , then hone your refinishing skills on less critical jobs.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:24   #21
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
Rom,
I don't want to be insulting but it does not sound like you have the refinishing skills necessary to coat this salon table to your high standards. I have been refinishing wood for over 20 years and consider myself highly skilled yet I still take pause when tackling a project like a high gloss table. My suggestion is remove the table and take it to a professional to refinish in his shop , then hone your refinishing skills on less critical jobs.
No offence taken. Now I don't want to be insulting either but varnish doesn't strike me as rocket science. I will do it myself. I am sure I can reach a satisfying result with some good basic advices.

Tags
interior, varnish