Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:20   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi
Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I don't think you need to whine about the subsequent posts based on the parts of your OP that I highlighted. We "looked over your shoulder" and expressed reservations.

I will spell it out, you mention looking for someone to get you across safely - implies needing a captain like figure to do the thinking because you do not personally have the knowledge.

You talk about getting some "learn to sail training" - implies little or no experience.

Your OP also states buying a used boat with little time to understand it and all the subsystems before leaving to cross the Atlantic. As pointed out even a long time owner of a yacht would want at least a month to prepare.

These three data points from your OP raised the red flag. So why do you care what a bunch of people you don't know or respect think anyway? I would just ignore us.
Isn't that the point of the forum here? I can ask to find a captain to help cross the ocean? I have sailed a lot but you assumed i am inexperienced. I bought a lagoon 420 brand new several years ago. I cancelled the contract for the 420 when the first few 420s sailed and failed. Went to France to see the prototype. Went to the BVI, saw and tested more boats, and continued to do my research for years. I have been looking for a boat for several years, the time is right and I thought this was a very fortunate opportunity that I was given a spot in the ARC with all the support and training. I Guess I did not submit my resumé first. My bad.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:24   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440

GO GIRL!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Wendy: If You are sure, do it....!!! It is a dream for everyone who sails...and if You have time, You have a boat ready for it, do it...!!! If You do not, You will regret it one day..and the nice thing, You are sailing with 200 boats..You are not feeling alone...
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:28   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
My original post was just asking for crew, like captain or skipper. If it is a captain I could do the ASA cert on the way. I already have a skipper on my crew.
Asked for a captain and instead got a beating.
If all you wanted was to solicit crew a posting in the "Crew wanted" forum would have sufficed. If I misinterpreted your post and offered advice where none was wanted, well, sorry, but I don't think that you have been beaten up very badly, and the advice was well intentioned. It also comes from 40 years of sailing and 27 years of full time cruising and some 140,000 miles of experience.

Don't like the advice?... ignore it and listen to the "go for it" people.

Oh BTW, if you had said that you HAD an experienced delivery skipper and crew I would have said nothing, for I'd expect them to have the experience that you seemed to be lacking. Why did I think you were not so very experienced? It was the interest in taking some ASA courses... something that truly experienced folks seldom seek.

Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 12:31   #35

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

So Wendi, I explained mine and others position, and logic for my comments, and motivation to weigh in and perhaps make a difference for a stranger. You refuse to accept that. So, "no good deed goes unpunished?"

You feel bad, downer today? Hey cheer up go for it, don't let anyone rain on your parade, reality is overrated anyway.
Cheers!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If all you wanted was to solicit crew a posting in the "Crew wanted" forum would have sufficed. If I misinterpreted your post and offered advice where none was wanted, well, sorry, but I don't think that you have been beaten up very badly, and the advice was well intentioned. It also comes from 40 years of sailing and 27 years of full time cruising and some 140,000 miles of experience.

Don't like the advice?... ignore it and listen to the "go for it" people.

Oh BTW, if you had said that you HAD an experienced delivery skipper and crew I would have said nothing, for I'd expect them to have the experience that you seemed to be lacking. Why did I think you were not so very experienced? It was the interest in taking some ASA courses... something that truly experienced folks seldom seek.

Jim
Yup, you are probably right, I should have just posted in the crew wanted forum. I did not know that it was not ok to ask about that here, I was just so excited that I had been taken off the wait list for the ARC, that in my excitement I decided to get right on it and find a captain to join my ALREADY experience crew of people who I know and have sailed with. And I thought maybe I would find some friendly info on the ARC experience as well. I will go to the other forum.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42   #37

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. I will carry on and figure things out. Thanks for all the positive responses and encouragement. The ARC looks like a really great experience. My excitement might have gotten the best of me and my first posting did not have enough information. But if there is a captain who would like to join my crew of 3, one a skipper, and me who has sailed for many years but would always like to learn more and get better, send me a private message. Thank you
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50   #38

It's good the hear that you know your crew well and that you have made passages with them before. While it's important to know your boat well also, the weakest link in any voyage is the human element. Read the "Mutiny at Dawn" thread to see what can go wrong (and that happened with good weather). Doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, just be aware of all the pitfalls.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:16   #39

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Thank you all for the words of wisdom. I will carry on and figure things out. Thanks for all the positive responses and encouragement. The ARC looks like a really great experience. My excitement might have gotten the best of me and my first posting did not have enough information. But if there is a captain who would like to join my crew of 3, one a skipper, and me who has sailed for many years but would always like to learn more and get better, send me a private message. Thank you
Wendi,

I realize this is also in the unsolicited advice category, but were I in your position (which I do think I understand) I would most definitely give a shout to Boatman61. I've read his resume and a gazillion of his posts here. Assuming he's not a consummate liar, he surely would be able to fill your requirements. That is if you can find a way to enjoy his irascible, yet charming, personality.

As an extra bonus, he's currently in Portugal so he could probably walk to work.

Have a glorious voyage!

Jim
Mary Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:29   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Flower View Post
Wendi,

I realize this is also in the unsolicited advice category, but were I in your position (which I do think I understand) I would most definitely give a shout to Boatman61. I've read his resume and a gazillion of his posts here. Assuming he's not a consummate liar, he surely would be able to fill your requirements. That is if you can find a way to enjoy his irascible, yet charming, personality.

As an extra bonus, he's currently in Portugal so he could probably walk to work.

Have a glorious voyage!

Jim
ROFLMAO.... aren't all sailors... 'Swing that Lantern Jim Lad..'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:34   #41

Quote:
Wendi,

Have a glorious voyage!

Jim
Hi Jim, I am talking to him about it, for sure! He seems to be experienced up the wazoo! So, I will proceed. Maybe he can even help me get the boat from Valencia as well.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:08   #42

Quote:
Hi Jim, I am talking to him about it, for sure! He seems to be experienced up the wazoo! So, I will proceed. Maybe he can even help me get the boat from Valencia as well.
I think that's a smart move, Wendi. However, I probably should also add that rumor has it that Boatman61 is an incorrigible reprobate. You might want to check that out. Unless, of course, you view that as an asset in a skipper. Some folks would.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROFLMAO.... aren't all sailors... 'Swing that Lantern Jim Lad..'
There is a good reason that they call them "Bull Ship Stories".
Old 11-09-2013, 14:21   #44

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Sounds like an awesome trip. I hope you don't back out.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:31   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
I think that's a smart move, Wendi. However, I probably should also add that rumor has it that Boatman61 is an incorrigible reprobate. You might want to check that out. Unless, of course, you view that as an asset in a skipper. Some folks would.
rep·ro·bate

/ˈrɛprəˌbeɪt/ Show Spelled [rep-ruh-beyt] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, rep·ro·bat·ed, rep·ro·bat·ing.
noun 1. a depraved, unprincipled, or wicked person: a drunken reprobate.

2. a person rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.

adjective 3. morally depraved; unprincipled; bad.

4. rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.

verb (used with object) 5. to disapprove, condemn, or censure.

6. (of God) to reject (a person), as for sin; exclude from the number of the elect or from salvation.

Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English reprobaten < Latin reprobātus; past participle of reprobāre to reprove

Related forms rep·ro·ba·cy /ˈrɛprəbəsi/ Show Spelled [rep-ruh-buh-see] Show IPA , rep·ro·bate·ness, noun
rep·ro·bat·er, noun
un·rep·ro·bat·ed, adjective

Synonyms
1. tramp, scoundrel, wastrel, miscreant, wretch, rascal, cad, rogue. 2. outcast, pariah. 3. wicked, sinful, evil, corrupt. 5. reprehend, blame, rebuke, reprove.

That's a bit harsh.... me Gran used to just call me a 'lovable rogue'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc