Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
i70 Raymarine Wind reading high

My i70 Raymarine display (2013 unit) consistently is reporting wind speeds at higher knots than actual wind speed. At low wind speeds instrument is typically 5 kts high and as wind speed increases the variance between actual wind and reading on display increases to 10 or more knots (i.e. actual 46 kts display reading 57 kts). I contacted Raymarine tech support and was told to drive the boat slowly around in a circle so as to calibrate the wind instrument. I plan to do this but don't have much confidence that this is the solution. That solution seems to address wind direction and not speed of wind.

Anyone had a similar issue with this equipment and how was it solved. Boat is a Lagoon 39 2014 model. Anometer at top of mast is about 2 1/2 yrs old.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:41   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: i70 Raymarine Wind reading high

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
My i70 Raymarine display (2013 unit) consistently is reporting wind speeds at higher knots than actual wind speed. At low wind speeds instrument is typically 5 kts high and as wind speed increases the variance between actual wind and reading on display increases to 10 or more knots (i.e. actual 46 kts display reading 57 kts). I contacted Raymarine tech support and was told to drive the boat slowly around in a circle so as to calibrate the wind instrument. I plan to do this but don't have much confidence that this is the solution. That solution seems to address wind direction and not speed of wind.

Anyone had a similar issue with this equipment and how was it solved. Boat is a Lagoon 39 2014 model. Anometer at top of mast is about 2 1/2 yrs old.
You can set the wind speed calibration factor to anything you desire. Pretty straight forward procedure, read the manual!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:08   #3

Boat: J/88

Could some of this variance be due to the fact that the wind instrument is measuring the wind at the mast head? We all accept that the wind speed is generally higher at the top of the sail than the bottom.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What calibrated instrument (or weather station) are you comparing your readings to? And as stated by another poster in this thread, what height is the reference data coming from as compared to your instrument's height?
Is your unit reading high when under sail, & of so on what points of sail? Or is it always reading high, both when sailing & not?
How far in front of, & or above your masthead is the sensor on the wand?

Also, calibrating it is a lot more complex & involved than just setting it while driving around in a circle. Though how well you want it to be calibrated is going to determine how much work goes into the calibration process. Which can get quite complex if you want it to be very close to perfect under most conditions & points of sail.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
i70 Raymarine Wind reading high

I think if you go out in dead calm that calibration ought not be too hard? Motor at 7 kts in dead calm ought to read 7 kts in any direction?
I can't find where to adjust mine, I have the knot meter to well within acceptable limits for me, but can't find out how to do that on the anemometer.
Mine are older 60 I think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:31   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post

As others have noted, there can be a significant windspeed (and direction) difference at the cockpit level and mast head level.

I use a Davis ultrasonic handheld wind speed indicator (held as high and as far out of sail/vessel induced air turbulence as I can).

Then I set the wind instrument calibration factor to read the same.

Then to appease the admirable (on my own boat) I set the calibration factor to read about 30% less. ;-)

Note that +/- 0.5% accuracy is not necessary. +/- 1 knot repeatability (at same actual speed and wind direction), sufficient to repeat sail trim in like conditions, is the best one can hope for.

Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, wind