Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 18:30   #31

Re: How Much Can We Take?

Ok ,Ok ... don't mean to offend any body ... there are many types of tea but they are not everyone's cup.

But it is true I will stay with monohulls ... but this doesn't mean all monohulls are worthy.

I still think multi-hulls are more complicated, though: KISS it , lol
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 18:33   #32

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

2310 lbs. seems wrong.

Here is the FP Belize (Stu previously mentioned).....~7500 lbs. ! ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capacity-plate.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	109939  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 19:11   #33

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
When we pulled all our stuff of our Catfisher 32 catamaran the waterline rose about 5-6 inches. When we put all that stuff on our new to us Cherokee 35 catamaran the waterline dropped about 2 inches. Monos or multis, some are more weight sensitive than others!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agreee,,, our Leopard 38 with a supposed higher payload capacity , settled twice as much in the water our lighter Athena did with roughly the same amount of stuff onboard

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 19:16   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Birder View Post
Ok ,Ok ... don't mean to offend any body ... there are many types of tea but they are not everyone's cup.

But it is true I will stay with monohulls ... but this doesn't mean all monohulls are worthy.

I still think multi-hulls are more complicated, though: KISS it , lol

Agreed! And trust me, not all multihulls are worthy.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 19:51   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
2310 lbs. seems wrong.

Here is the FP Belize (Stu previously mentioned).....~7500 lbs. ! ?
I round it down to a 3000 Kg (6600lb) max payload because I figure that I probably have about 400KG of permanent extras in terms of solar, additional batteries, tender etc
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 23:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post

Now for the question: Can a family of five carry all of our crap in a Lagoon 420?
Short answer: Yes.

The 420 has ample volume, storeage space and payload for a liveaboard family.

I don't know the exact payload specification of the 420 and couldn't easily find it, just like some other well meaning respondants. Perhaps a 420 owner will clarify.
I DO know that my Lagoon 400 is plated to carry a 3555kg payload to design category A (open ocean). A 420 is a much bigger boat and was designed to carry the increased load of a hybrid power system, ie. big genset, battery banks for propulsion, etc. It will eat up your stuff and still look hungry!

Please don't be put off by the mono hulker trolls than plague this forum. When you do get out to do real cruising, you'll probably find that monohull sailers are less argumentative and more accepting of your catamaran.

My only concern, is your time frame. An imminent plan to circumnavigate but you are still in the early stages of boat selection? Maybe a bit more time to buy, move aboard and prepare? Good luck planning.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 02:11   #37

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We've seen lots of families cruising the Caribbean and the South Pacific on 420's and all seemed happy with them and weren't wanting for things they had to leave ashore.

Just another thought though. We've also met a number of families in Privilege's and I've always been impressed with the build quality of them. They aren't as common, but seem to be good value for long term cruising.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 04:42   #38

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I round it down to a 3000 Kg (6600lb) max payload because I figure that I probably have about 400KG of permanent extras in terms of solar, additional batteries, tender etc
Understand and agree!

In fact, the spec. sheet for the Belize calls for full displacement of 11,500kg and light displacement of 8,620kg. So, your 3,000kg is closer to 'how much can we take'.

DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:17   #39

Thanks for everyone's responses. It has really helped me out a lot.

I also understand we are in the early stages and may not set off next year. Hopefully we will at least get the boat that we plan to use and spend enough time on it to get comfortable before we set off.

Although it is for another completely different thread my personal problem is getting open ocean time to feel comfortable taking my family out. Everyone that wants crew seems to either want a females or experienced crew. I am a newbie (when it comes to the ocean) but have been around inland boats all my life. I can't afford to pay $3000 to take an ASA Passagemaking class and everyone I respond to wants people with thousands of miles under their belt.

I do not plan to attempt this trip without more experience.
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:07   #40

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses. It has really helped me out a lot.

I also understand we are in the early stages and may not set off next year. Hopefully we will at least get the boat that we plan to use and spend enough time on it to get comfortable before we set off.

Although it is for another completely different thread my personal problem is getting open ocean time to feel comfortable taking my family out. Everyone that wants crew seems to either want a females or experienced crew. I am a newbie (when it comes to the ocean) but have been around inland boats all my life. I can't afford to pay $3000 to take an ASA Passagemaking class and everyone I respond to wants people with thousands of miles under their belt.

I do not plan to attempt this trip without more experience.
There are lots of boats that will take you - even without experience

put an ad up in the crew available forum or browse the crew wanted forum - you'll find domeone

Your wife should also go - one person is not enough

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:14   #41

Boat: Lagoon 420

Blue Sky is a 2008 Lagoon 420 hull #57 which we moved aboard 2.5 years ago and have been cruising the east coast of the US and the eastern Caribbean ever since with 11,000 sea miles under our belts. Have owned both monohulls and this cat and they are both great choices.

Since I own a 420, I am a bit partial to it. Here is why. It is a heavy boat and when the going gets tough, it is a very stable platform out there, and that is important. It has seen us through a couple of challenging storms. Since 98+% of the time we are happily anchored, we love the 360 vista of the world a cat offers while you go through your daily chores or are relaxing. This was a huge reason we picked a cat over our previous mono and it has been well worth it when you are on the boat 24x7.

As for payload, I don't think you have to worry. Lagoon's own info shows almost 10,000 lbs. Look at the download Rapuni sent. It is very detailed. Remember it is in kilos and that first column shows a crew weight of 825 kilos, far more than you and your kids, because it is tied to the max allowed at Class A. You would have to do something harsh to overload a 420. It was designed to handle a whack of batteries aft for the electric version RIP.

But, you can easily poorly balance a 420 because of all the seemingly wonderful hatches and spaces for storage up forward. We have found that the boat is much faster and seakindly as you move weight aft. Big difference. So all the lightweight stuff goes forward, extra life vest, empty jerry cans, and yes, the TP as well. The extra fuel fits nicely aft in the cockpit during a passage.

Since we are double handers, we love the communications with the 420 design between the helm and cockpit and kitchen. Great! Don't particularly like the newer sleeker design because there is much less of an open airy feel in the cockpit with the lower bimini.

Sailing performance is what it is. Suffice it to say that with my loaded boat I can keep up with or surpass most chartered monos or cats. The boat is slower by maybe a tenth of a knot or two, but knowing how to sail it more than makes up for the difference. On anything but a close reach, can usually beat most boats my size, not that I ever get competitive. Of course having the right sails makes a huge difference on this boat - gennaker for lighter winds and an Asail, spinnaker or parasailor for downwind. We fly the parasailor. The only time I cry in my beer is close hauled. Getting a by the GPS tacking angle of less than 110 degrees in a 5 foot swell with wind chop, just isn't in the cards, often is really 120 degrees. So if you are driving upwind under sail, about the best you can do is half boat speed. So if you are barreling along in a 20 knot wind, you might have a VMG of 4 to 4.5 knots tops. But like any cruiser I avoid upwind at any cost because it is simply not very comfortable in a cat or mono. If you want a cat to go well upwind, you need ones with dagger boards. Not worth the fuss to us.

Yes, a 65' mono will get you there faster, mainly due to the difference in hull speed or in very light winds. The 420 maxes out at hull speeds pretty easy in winds over 20 knots so you will be tearing along at 8.5 to 9 knots, but getting much over that is edgy sailing, possible, but not a stress I put on my rig. I must add that one night the parasailor was up as the wind sneaked up to 25 knots and we found our speeds in the 13-14 knot range - but we were not racing, so down it came.

So load it up, keep the heavy stuff aft, buy sails as you learn the boat, learn how to trim the sails for speed (added almost .75 knots over what I first got out of the boat just learning to trim) get a great anchor, sail by the numbers (420 really doesn't tell you if it is over-canvassed like a mono would), and most of all have fun with any boat you choose.

Oh, and learn to get good exercise diving your bottom to keep it clean (pleasure in the Caribbean). It will make a bigger difference than the boat you bought - and you will be more fit!

- Paul
sv Blue Sky
Lagoon 420 hull #57
Seaqul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:10   #42

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca

We have a 420 2008 #86 and have been cruising for 5 years.

I endorse everything Seaqul says.

Bob
CASABLANCA L420 #86
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:08   #43

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca View Post
We have a 420 2008 #86 and have been cruising for 5 years.

I endorse everything Seaqul says.

Bob
CASABLANCA L420 #86
+2 2009 420
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote