Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 23:25   #1

How Loud Is it on a Catamaran (Lagoon 410 or Similar) ?

Hello,

My husband and I are considering a Whitsundays Islands 3-night cruise on a Lagoon 410 model cat. My husband has tinnitus (ringing in the ears), so we are cautious about excessive noise levels that could make the ringing worse.

If the engine or generator on the boat is used, how loud would it be in the cabins? If it is windy outside at night, would choppy waters outside create a lot of noise inside the cabins? Would forward or aft cabins be quieter? Any other insight on noise level?

I am having trouble finding information on noise levels in a catamaran online, and you all seem like the experts. Your help is very greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
TDPookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 23:27   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: How Loud on a Catamaran (Lagoon 410 or similar)?

Old 08-08-2011, 23:44   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, but are you saying it's so loud we need ear plugs? (which we have, but I don't think he wants to wear it for 3 days)
Old 09-08-2011, 00:10   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPookie1 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, but are you saying it's so loud we need ear plugs? (which we have, but I don't think he wants to wear it for 3 days)
No, I'm saying if he has an issue put them in
as for how loud, well how longs a piece of string?
My loud may not be yours and vice versa.
I imagine it wouldn't be any worse than any other boat.
Old 09-08-2011, 13:56   #5

Re: How Loud Is it on a Catamaran (Lagoon 410 or similar)?

In the Whitsundays you can always find quiet sheltered anchorages. Engines and generators won't be excessively noisy.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 14:18   #6

No worries. Not as noisy as an airport, coffee house, house with kids, auto with wife, etc...and yet one more reason to not use a generator or engine unless absolutely necessary.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 14:39   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've been on a number of cats and I've never had to speak in anything but a normal voice when the engines or genset are running. The exception has been if one opens the engine room door. Under normal circumstances noise should not be a problem. My wife and I both have reached the age where we have minor hearing loss. Basically the kind that makes it difficult to pick out a conversation in noisy room and the engine noise is way below the threshold where it causes a problem for us.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 14:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

The engines on a 410 are under the bunks in the rear cabins. Not a great place to try and sleep if the engines are running. Since it's a charter, I doubt you will be doing any night passages with the engines running. If you're sitting in the salon and the engines are running you can carry on a normal conversation. In the forward cabins sleep would be possible with the engines running.
As far as water slapping the hull, I wouldn't call it loud by any means. It does however irritate some people. I happen to like the sound.
Noise from a generator depends on where it's located, whether it's in a soundproof enclosure and how it's exausted. Unless it's been horribly installed, it shouldn't be what I would call loud. Of course in a pristine anchorage sometimes normal conversation on a neighboring boat can be disturbing. I hope this helps...Sid
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 00:42   #9

Re: How Loud Is it on a Catamaran (Lagoon 410 or Similar) ?

Wonderful - thank you all so much for the very helpful responses! We have just booked the catamaran trip and requested a forward cabin. Worst case, if the cabin is loud, we will sleep on the nets outside.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42   #10

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Well, you will have to cope with the incessant whine of the owner of the catamaran going on and on and on about how much better than a monohull the multihull is.

Other than that, I wouldn't have though the cat would be any more or less noisy than any other variety of sailboat.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:51   #11

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2, 40'

We have a Lagoon 410 s2. The engine under the bunk is an issue with noise. We mostly run on one engine as do a lot of Lagoon owners. The fuel consumption is about 3/4 gallon an hour doing 6 to 7 knots on one engine vs twice that doing 8 to 8.5 knots. If we motor at night, we use the engine in the opposite hull. As to the generator, we have a northern lights in a enclosure with sound damping foam bulkhead between the generator and the cabin. There is some noise in the saloon, but hardly any in the cabins except the forward ones.

As to our incessant whine, we don't bother since we know cats are better than mono hulls. hahaha! All boats have their pluses and minuses. Cats are more expensive; don't do well upwind; are more problematic as to dock space; and are easily overloaded thus losing their speed advantage.
Jackp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440

TD, the fwd cabins will be fine - you probably won't be travelling at night but your last line has the complete answer!! Enjoy !!
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, lagoon