Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 05:32   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
How come... Lagoon 39&40 - Black sheeps of the fleet?

I was just wondering, there are a trillion of posts, informations, tech tips etc etc of all kind of Lagoon catamarans. 380, 400, 450, 42 and so on. But in the last two years, almost nothing about the 39 and 40...

I guess there are plenty of Lagoon 39´s and 40´s around.

Are those boats without any issues that have to be discussed? ;-)

How come?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How come... Lagoon 39&40 - Black sheeps of the fleet?

Owners are to busy sorting out the problems to come on here to talk about them..
Give it another year or so..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:09   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: How come... Lagoon 39&40 - Black sheeps of the fleet?

i think these groups have been taken away by competition - facebook/twiter.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 00:52   #4

Boat: currently boatless

I am not to sure why you would refer to the 39/40 as the black sheep of the family. I know friends with both models and both are very very happy with their choice of craft. Just because people are not posting here does not mean they are not posting in other locations such as the Facebook Lagoons owner site etc. The FB site is well frequented by Lagoon owners from around the world with many discussions on upgrades and issues which arise.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 01:42   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

it does appear time has finally come I will have to create fb account and switch. Only few lagoon people left here on CF resisting new times.

Good bye lovely CF, hope you continue to have lots of fun without me. I will miss you all

arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 01:46   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

39 was not so successfull on the market, not saled well - and the 40 that replaces the 39 and followed on almost the same mold / size is too new for a verdict yet.

FB will not see me, I will resist the urge, they are also closed groups, you cannot read without FB membership.
Old 14-02-2019, 01:48   #7

Thank you guys!

Greg, acctually i like the Lagoon 39, 40 and 400 very much. I sailed the 39 and the 400 already a few times and i visited the 40 on different boat shows. I am in the process of sorting out prices, market values and tech specs on many 38-40 feet boats. And the 39,40 and 400 are in the group of my prefered boats. One of them i am considering buying in the close future (together with the FP Lucia, Bali and R&C Cats).

I just do not understand why i can get a ton of information in CF about all other Lagoons, but just not on the 39 and 40.

The "black sheep" question was more kind of provocation. Not to say those boats are bad in any way. As i mentioned before, i acctually consider one of those cats to buy. I like their layouts and i think the 39 is one of the boats reasonable priced on the used boats market.

I stay away from Facebook and Twitter...

Thanks again!
Old 14-02-2019, 03:36   #8

I have a 2013 400S2. What information are you looking for?
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 04:18   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Just as a side note, its amazing how many people do not know about Cruisers Forum. I would say that 9 out of 10 times I mention the site to boat owners they are unaware of its existence. I always recommend this site as there is always a very experienced group of people who can assist or point you in the right direction.
I am not a fan of FB but use it as another tool to find out information not only about models/manufacturers of boats but also cruising destinations.
arsenelupiga I note you are located in Sydney. There is a Lagoon owners page for Australian owners. Yes it is a closed group but its a great resource and good way of meeting fellow Lagoon owners. There is also a Lagoon owners site worldwide which has an outstanding amount of information as well.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 03:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
I have a 2013 400S2. What information are you looking for?
At the moment i am not looking for any specific information. I am just absorbing anything i could possibly get from those boats i have on my "want to have" list.

I chartered and sailed most of them already. So i do have some good knowledge of their sailing abilities and about how i like the interior of any of those boats.

I chartered smaller boats (MAHE 36) as well as much larger boats (Lagoon 450F) out of the 38-40 feet range. So i am quite shure about two things: 38-40 feet is well enough for me, and i want to buy as new as i can possibly afford. I dont agree with the "buy as long as you can afford" phillosophy...

Acctually i could live well with the MAHE. A great little boat. But it doesnt fit the "as new as i can afford" rule.

The Lagoon 380 is a great cat as well. But i just think the interior is just too outdated...
I am no big fan of the Gemini´s, as well of the galley down concept. So its quite easy for me to narrow my search and wish list to all those mentioned Lagoons, the Lucia, Bali, Open 40 and of cause the Leopards...

Oh.. and from those Lagoons, the 40 is at the moment my prefered one... which brings me back to my starting question and me wondering why there is not much to read about the 39 and 40. However, i will have to wait a bit until the 40 drops to the price range the 39 is acctually settled....

Thanks!
Old 15-02-2019, 09:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
At the moment i am not looking for any specific information. I am just absorbing anything i could possibly get from those boats i have on my "want to have" list.

I chartered and sailed most of them already. So i do have some good knowledge of their sailing abilities and about how i like the interior of any of those boats.

I chartered smaller boats (MAHE 36) as well as much larger boats (Lagoon 450F) out of the 38-40 feet range. So i am quite shure about two things: 38-40 feet is well enough for me, and i want to buy as new as i can possibly afford. I dont agree with the "buy as long as you can afford" phillosophy...

Acctually i could live well with the MAHE. A great little boat. But it doesnt fit the "as new as i can afford" rule.

The Lagoon 380 is a great cat as well. But i just think the interior is just too outdated...
I am no big fan of the Gemini´s, as well of the galley down concept. So its quite easy for me to narrow my search and wish list to all those mentioned Lagoons, the Lucia, Bali, Open 40 and of cause the Leopards...

Oh.. and from those Lagoons, the 40 is at the moment my prefered one... which brings me back to my starting question and me wondering why there is not much to read about the 39 and 40. However, i will have to wait a bit until the 40 drops to the price range the 39 is acctually settled....

Thanks!
The 39 was only a few years on the market and than discontiued and replaced by the new 40. The 400 was also recently discontinued with no replacement regarding the size, she is closer to a 42 than to the 40. The 40 was introduced last year, still beta, on the last Duesseldorf boat show was still the prototype hull exhibited. Not many around yet.
Old 15-02-2019, 16:10   #12

That´s true and that might explain it...

What was the last year the 400S2 was produced?
Old 16-02-2019, 01:14   #13

I am not sure, they had a backlog in production, last ordered were 2016/2017 I assume and last built maybe 2018?

Found a web site claiming 2017 was the last mold.

https://www.boat-specs.com/lagoon/lagoon-400-s2
Old 16-02-2019, 06:33   #14

Got it. Thanks for the link!

I am considering a boat max 6/7 years old in 2021/22, depending on the condition of the boat. And i try to buy as new as i can afford. Just a question of price vs. year vs. conditions. 3-5 years would be prefered, and ownersversion would be nice too. So the 39, 40 and 400S2 will be in that range i guess. However, i know i will have to make compromises...

Thanks again,
John

Tags
lagoon