Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2019, 00:51   #1

Hard Top to replace bimini on Lagoon 380

Does anyone have an idea of the cost to replace the bimini with a Hard top and any pros and cons would be welcome.
CBzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:49   #2
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31
Re: Hard Top to replace bimini on Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBzim View Post
Does anyone have an idea of the cost to replace the bimini with a Hard top and any pros and cons would be welcome.
I have a 470...i replaced my soft top with azek type pvc panels from home depot two years ago for about $500. Basic carpentry skills required.. Used existing frame. Held up fine and I can walk on it... No dancing allowed though[emoji4]...

The quotes I got for a fiberglass ht were $10k+.. Although a shop in so fla has forms for a 380 hard top...
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 06:12   #3

I've toyed around with this idea for a couple of years. Thought of using FRP panels-inexpensive and easy to work with. But in a hurricane prone area the problem of removal comes in. How do yo deal with that little problem.
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 08:11   #4

I recently had a hard top put on my Lagoon 450. I got it from this vendor: Dedicated Marine HOME - Dedicated Marine Bimini Hardtop

They shipped it to my boatyard in Grenada in a crate and I had someone at the yard install it.

Let me know if you want more details.
DrRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 08:28   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

I made my own hard-top for my 44' Privilege. The only con that I can think of is that it weighs a fair bit. Although I made it with a divinycel core, it still weighs in the region of 250lb. Having said that, I'm not racing anywhere and for me, the pro's far outweigh the cons;

It makes the back deck area feel like a whole new room. It has lights underneath, bright ones for working and RGB ones for mood. It has the CCTV camera and alarm system and it supports the covers for the front and sides and it has 1100 watts of solar on top. Best of all, I can get to the boom and main sail without having to balance with all the grace and poise of a newly-born giraffe.

If the extra weight is not a consideration, I highly recommend it.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 09:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Just spitballing here, but is it possible with all of the damaged cats in the Virgin Islands and elsewhere that there's a clearing house for common catamaran parts? Masts/boom, engines, portlights, hardtops?

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 09:29   #7

Quote:
I purchased and installed a new hardtop from Atlantic Towers, 10 X 15 feet for around $12 K plus enclosure. They have deals around boat show times, so be aware of that.

Another very cool option for much less loot is to use rigid panels from Hard To Top on your existing Bimini frame. They are made in USA. I have seen an installation on a sailing cat and can say they are very good quality.

Benchmarkadventure.wordpress.com

is my blog that I used to document the hardtop installation as well as the fabrication and installation of the enclosure. Lots of photos and details there.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 10:22   #8

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
I have a 470...i replaced my soft top with azek type pvc panels from home depot two years ago for about $500. Basic carpentry skills required.. Used existing frame. Held up fine and I can walk on it... No dancing allowed though[emoji4]...

The quotes I got for a fiberglass ht were $10k+.. Although a shop in so fla has forms for a 380 hard top...
Doesn't look like this product is made anymore.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 10:35   #9

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

Dedicated Marine definitely makes a hard top for the 380. It fits over the OEM canvas frame, comes in two pieces and can be shipped.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:13   #10

Boat: Byliner 3258

I made a hardtop out of 2 truck tonneau covers. Cut 1 in half and added the centre section from the second. so actually 3 panels wide. The resin impregnated core of the tonneau can be scraped out easily, then I used 3/4" pressure treated plywood to act as a key to join the sections. Looks really good as it has nice corners and edges. Had 2" stainless steel support legs. built. Added Sailrite plastic track around perimeter and Sunbrella curtains with extra fine bug screen and roll up windows. Used hull liners to underside which hides solar panel and lighting wiring. Cost $100. for two used covers and $150. for stainless pipe and welding. PS top supports 300 watt solar panel and is strong enough to walk on. The top weight around 70 pounds.I can not take pictures as my poor boat is covered with a tarp and is covered in snow.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:34   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I have seen rigid tops which are just solar panels on a frame, Flexible seal is used between the panels and if skirts are fitted they are supported by the frame. Lights are attched to bars suspended across the panel frame. If you want to hide the wiring and panels you could add a mesh similar to loud speaker cover. The advantges seam to be saving weigt and increasing panel efficiency by allowing more air flow to cool them.
I would agree that the main down side is storm windage but you also need to consider if it will restrict visibility either for navigation or monitoring sail performance. The other effect is that any increase in weather protection at the helm station can reduce watch keepers situational awareness to weather. Can lead to delaying decisions to reef etc especially at night.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:45   #12

Boat: lagoon 3803

we covered our 2000 lagoon 3803 with 1/4 inch king starboard. three 4' by 8' sheets. it comes in grey or white. used stainless p clamps to affix the sheets to the frame. used wood jig saw to trim the excess. hand router to knock off the edges.

we went grey with white to cover the 'walk ways' on either side of the boom

we added bolt rope track for windscreen, enclosure, sunshades....even gutters to collect rainwater

disadvantage is can only add flexible solar panels, and it is not as large as the factory made lagoon hardtops.
familysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 13:31   #13

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Bought a TIG welder, fabricated a frame and installed Starboard for about $2000. Had 3 200lb guys hang from frame without any movement. Don't know how much it holds but more than will ever be up there. Frame weighs about 60 lbs and the starboard about 260.
Scared me to death putting the mainsail away in a blow without the hard top. Now it is easy. One of the best things I did to my boat.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 00:01   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Some pictures of your solutions would be great.

I am thinking about building a hardtop on the helm of our Lagoon 400 because the canvas gets weak from the weather and needs a replacement.

I am thinking about using the existing frame, attaching some core material and laminating a layer of fiberglass on top of it to get the right form / fit, then remove it and laminate the inside and outside with some more glass, cut out the holes for the top and aft window and glue some plexiglass in with sikaflex.

Then attach some piping rails for the vertical canvas around.

I am not sure, how it will work in detail yet. and if the existing frame needs re-enforcement's.
Old 24-01-2019, 04:09   #15

Quote:
I bought a new glass fiber top for my Lagoon 380, seven years ago, from the Swedish dealer, who had got one extra when he ordered from France. The price was 3600 € for the top inclusive the steel legs, bults etc as well as the plastic transparent windshield. The top is extremely heavy and we were 5 people lifting it on board installing it.
Two years later we even bought the surrounding transparent protection, which was good to have in Sweden. The cost for this was, if I remember right, 350- 400 €. This summer we sailed the boat down to Gran Canaria during the nights we used the surrounding cover as it is possible to see the sails through the transparent roof hatch and the surrounding ocean through the transparent windows.
I recommend to buy both and install it yourself.
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, lagoon, lagoon 380