Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 20:17   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Fresh Water Pump accumulator tank

The base of the steel accumulator tanks on the Johnson domestic fresh water water pump installed in my 2006 Lagoon 44' owners version catamara has corroded right through and I am having trouble finding a replacement. It is steel, cylindrical and painted red. The pump model is a Johnson TYPE WPS 5.0 12V with a flow of 19 l/pm. Supplier details or alternatives would be appreciated.
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 21:33   #2

Re: Fresh Water Pump accumulator tank

This should be able to do the job.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 23:24   #3

You did well getting 10 years out of it, then again it may not be the original.

We thought the 5 litre accumulator was too small, not storing enough pressure and causing the pump to run too frequently for short bursts. We bought a (way cheaper) 10 litre accumulator from a plumber's supply shop and teed it into the pipework. It doesn't have to be right next to the pump; ours is under the port side vanity unit. The pressure inside had to be reduced by releasing the Schrader valve, to allow water to enter the unit. Now the pump runs less frequently, but for a bit longer. The bonus is that the system will deliver 5 or 6 litres of water once the pump is turned off. So if we have guests in the port cabins the pump is turned off at bedtime and we can get a drink of water in the night without the pump waking up those sleeping near it.

When our Johnson accumulator dies, we may just plug off it's socket.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 00:03   #4

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440

Thank you everyone for your replies. That is indeed the unit I have. Given this one has failed, and there are corrosion marks on the base of the accumulator for the deck wask pump, I think I'll buy two! Many thanks indeed.
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 12:34   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have replaced ours with a 2 litre grundfoss. Cheaper and better than the original one.
Pressure Tanks - Pump Warehouse
Old 22-01-2017, 00:31   #6

Hey Nick.

Lovely weather on Pitt Water this week!

Sorry I haven't been in touch. I had a tussle with the shower drain plate and cut my finger very badly... I did manage to go to SWI though and they are sourcing me the wood panels. Thanks for that.

Did you need any adapters for the accumulator tank or did it go straight in?

Cheers
Sam
sambos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 01:05   #7

Hi Sam
Sorry to hear about your finger.
Regarding the accumulator, I used a reducer from 1" to 3/4", I added some resilient motor mounts 1" high to mount the frame away from the bulkhead so the new tank (which is slightly larger diameter than the original) fits neatly in the original space, the motor mounts have also reduced noise when the pump runs. We found the old type would not last long when we connect the water supply directly to the boat from the marina, the marina has very high water pressure, we added an additional pressure reducing valve to the dock connection.
Would be interested to hear if you manage to find the veneer.
Would be good to catch up, we are out on the water most weekends.
Cheers
Nick
Old 24-01-2017, 05:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldar1 View Post
The base of the steel accumulator tanks on the Johnson domestic fresh water water pump installed in my 2006 Lagoon 44' owners version catamara has corroded right through and I am having trouble finding a replacement. It is steel, cylindrical and painted red. The pump model is a Johnson TYPE WPS 5.0 12V with a flow of 19 l/pm. Supplier details or alternatives would be appreciated.
Hi , Just to note, the pumps these days don't need accumlators to run pretty smoothly, if you do want to keep the accumlator set up and need to replace the pump you have in the future (Mine Lasted 10 years),they are are available everywhere in the USA for about $100 ,do keep a spare and don't wait till you get to the Caribbean i just had to pay $212 from a chandlers OCH!
Huggi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:18   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggi21 View Post
Hi , Just to note, the pumps these days don't need accumlators to run pretty smoothly, ................. !
Mine is supposed to not need an accumulator tank but it would chatter unless water was run full force.

I added an accumulator tank and now it runs, then shuts off. Like it should.

On that note, it's possible for the tank to lose its charge. If it does this, it will act like it's not there. There's a valve similar to a tire valve on a car. Pump it up to about twelve PSI or whatever the instructions call for and it will be as good as new unless the internal bladder has ruptured.
Old 24-01-2017, 06:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Mine is supposed to not need an accumulator tank but it would chatter unless water was run full force.

I added an accumulator tank and now it runs, then shuts off. Like it should.

On that note, it's possible for the tank to lose its charge. If it does this, it will act like it's not there. There's a valve similar to a tire valve on a car. Pump it up to about twelve PSI or whatever the instructions call for and it will be as good as new unless the internal bladder has ruptured.
Hi, You are quite correct , all pressure water systems are recommended to have accumulators to stop banging pipes, just looked up a company in the UK , they start around £24 for 2 lit unit, worth keeping a spare at that price.
Cheers
Huggi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water