Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 07:05   #1

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Fixing Stray Currents

I can't completely turn off these lights - main cabin, cockpit and starboard cabin on my Lagoon 400. When I turn the switch off, the lights just go dim rather than off. I can only get them completely off by turning off the master cabin light switch on the control panel.

I had a marine electrician work on this and he found some faulty wires. When he finished I had no lights that would not turn off. Then I went sailing and the problem (some lights not turning off) reappeared. At the moment I handle this by turning the master light switch off most of the time. This is a little inconvenient. This problem has appeared and then gone away with no intervention from me. It goes away after a period of not sailing.

I also had a serious problem with my saildrive anodes being totally consumed. I suspect this is related to the stray current problem.

I don't want to keep engaging marine electricians and particularly for a problem that reappears. I presume my problem is caused by faulty wiring. Could someone advise me of the steps to diagnose which cables are faulty? Are there other things I should be checking? I have a multimeter.

Thanks

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 07:44   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Fixing Stray Currents

With a multimeter you can track down the wires until you find the source.
What kind of lights are you referring to? (LED or bulbs?)

I have some LED stripes, that do continue to emit some glowing light for a long time even after pulling the plug - this is due to very little consumption and some capacitors along the chain that usually regulate the voltage and some half-dead LED's.

Another source in regular circuits may be ground connection problems due to oxidation, so you end up with a ghost circuit over more than one regular loop, this is really hard to find.

I would take the circuit diagram and track down the wires and plugs along the line, open the circuit at some points and see what happens.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:27   #3

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: Fixing Stray Currents

All the lights are LEDs.

I didn't get a circuit diagram with my (new) Lagoon 400 S2. Lagoon does not supply that.

I have started the process of following the offending circuits and measuring the voltages. Still WIP. It is very slow work.

Thanks

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current