Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 04:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre
Featherstream v Autoprop

I have just completed a deal on a 380 S2 with 2 blade fixed prop and want to swap these out for feathering props. After researching them and viewing at the Southampton Boat show it comes down to either the Featherstream from Darlow or Autoprop from Bruntons. Autoprop is slightly more expensive, but looks better designed in terms of blade shape.

Is there any experience especially with the Autoprop that would help make this decision?

MTIA.
Old 24-09-2018, 04:54   #2

Re: Featherstream v Autoprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPierre View Post
I have just completed a deal on a 380 S2 with 2 blade fixed prop and want to swap these out for feathering props. After researching them and viewing at the Southampton Boat show it comes down to either the Featherstream from Darlow or Autoprop from Bruntons. Autoprop is slightly more expensive, but looks better designed in terms of blade shape.

Is there any experience especially with the Autoprop that would help make this decision?

MTIA.
For me, Autoprop would win if the plan is to motor, and especially motorsail, a lot.

If you prefer to sail, the Featherstream or other feathering prop will be a good choice. I have never seen a really strong argument for one feathering prop over another, so whatever one has the marketing program that pushes your buttons.

Autoprop has slightly higher sailing drag, and is significantly more sensitive to fairly minor fouling upsetting the balance of the blades.

If the price is in your budget, neither one is a "bad" choice.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 05:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

He pretty much covered it, everything has its advantages and disadvantages.
My Autoprop is great for motorsailing, which I do a lot of. It’s it’s niche.
However it may be my imagination, but going into strong seas and wind, it seems to lose more drive than a fixed pitch prop does, that it’s only drawback that I can see.
Of course maybe by doing that it’s preventing engine overload, and it’s actually doing me a favor?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 07:51   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre

Many thanks for the replies. I reckon that leaves me with the same dilemma. However I think the telling statement is 'if the plan is to motor, and especially motorsail, a lot' For me once the sails are up I like to shut the engines down and listen to the sound of silence. So I guess it will be Featherstream - or autoprop!
Old 26-09-2018, 08:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny thing was before we were cruising, we almost never motored, just enough to get into and out of the slip, then we would sail.
Reason was sailing was the goal, not a destination, we stayed in the marina if there was no wind.
Now that we are cruising, we motor much more than I would like, reason is of course now we have a destination in mind, and that not only means enough wind to sail, but wind from the correct direction.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote