Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 00:15   #16

Re: Dinghy swamped by following sea and davits bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell
[*]Are there mods I could complete that might reduce the likelyhood of damage? I am thinking of spectra stays to increase the load the davits could take plus a dinghy cover to shed most of a wave breaking over the dinghy.[/LIST]I would love to hear your critical thoughts.

Thanks

Brian
Have been thinking about this Brian. Even though I'm happy with the davit strength and clearance on the L400, there is a degree of flexibility in the davits. I'm also fairly sure that this is as per design intention.

I have an easy suggestion to take some strain off the davits. This is done simply by cleating off the dinghy haul up lines onto the two inboard stern cleats rather than using the jammers on top of the davits. So, don't use the jammers and secure the lines to the cleats instead. When the dinghy haul up lines are taught and the deck cleats are carrying some of the weight of the dinghy the davits seem more rigid.

We have ratchet straps under the dinghy as a backup as well, but most of the load is carried by the haul up lines.

By the way, don't be tempted to shorten these ropes. The full length is needed if lowering a dinghy to the ground when the boat is on the hard.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 04:59   #17

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I reckon its fatigue that'll be the enemy to crack creation, when we discovered cracks at the base (65' F P Cat), no doubt it was in the heat effected zone near the welds at base of davits.

Can't recall if we took the motor off but we did bouze down as best we could with lines going forward and aft and diagonally, this method despite it being tight may have helped only to minor extent as the damaging movement in the davits was only slight.

Aluminium not great in regard to fatigue across a weld. Think having a method of mounting temporary struts compleating the triangle (double triangle fore and aft if you can), is the way to go, If history or judgement dictates its requirement.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 05:15   #18

It is fairly simple. You don't have another option so your choice is to cross or not. While I'm sure you don't want to loose the dingy in reality it is a $7k risk and not that high of a risk. You might want to get a couple of dock hands to store the motor somewhere before you leave.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, dinghy