Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 14:14   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka
Dinghy for a 42

Can those with a 42 please discuss their dinghy size, makes, what they like about them, how they fit on the davits, etc? We’re in the market for a dinghy. Thanks!
Lrfiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 18:58   #2

Boat: Lagoon L42
Re: Dinghy for a 42

Following.....interested in dinghy options too
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:03   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfiori View Post
Can those with a 42 please discuss their dinghy size, makes, what they like about them, how they fit on the davits, etc? We’re in the market for a dinghy. Thanks!
Hi

We have a West Marine AL310 RIB fitted to our L42. It is a good fit. We figured that 10’ was a good size, and wanted it to fit comfortably. An 11’ dinghy would probably also fit OK, but in my opinion 12’ is getting too big for the width between transoms.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 07:30   #4

Thanks for the description of your setup....sounds good!
Old 20-11-2017, 17:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
Hi

We have a West Marine AL310 RIB fitted to our L42. It is a good fit. We figured that 10’ was a good size, and wanted it to fit comfortably. An 11’ dinghy would probably also fit OK, but in my opinion 12’ is getting too big for the width between transoms.

Cheers

Thanks Matagorda. What motor do you have in it? We’re considering electric so we don’t have to carry gas.
Old 21-11-2017, 09:03   #6

Hi

We have a Merc 2.5Hp 4 Stroke. It is nice and light and works well for the Texas coast, where distances travelled in the dinghy are not that great.

Sorry I can't comment on the electric option, as I have never used one.

When we get back to Australia cruising the Queensland coast, we will be using a 20Hp EFI 4 stroke. Perhaps a Suzuki, but will look at others such as Yamaha if they have an EFI model available when we come to buy. The EFI motors don't seem to be bothered by ethanol issues so much, and the 20Hp size is ideal for the 10' RIB, especially when using it over longer distances.

With the larger motor, I will be storing a plastic fuel tank in the life raft recess in the transom.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 21-11-2017, 19:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
Hi

We have a Merc 2.5Hp 4 Stroke. It is nice and light and works well for the Texas coast, where distances travelled in the dinghy are not that great.

Sorry I can't comment on the electric option, as I have never used one.

When we get back to Australia cruising the Queensland coast, we will be using a 20Hp EFI 4 stroke. Perhaps a Suzuki, but will look at others such as Yamaha if they have an EFI model available when we come to buy. The EFI motors don't seem to be bothered by ethanol issues so much, and the 20Hp size is ideal for the 10' RIB, especially when using it over longer distances.

With the larger motor, I will be storing a plastic fuel tank in the life raft recess in the transom.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

It does help. Thanks.
Old 23-11-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42

Hi Lrfiori,
We have a AB ultralight aluminum bottom inflatable with a Yamaha 15 2 stroke we bought in the Bahamas a couple years ago. It is 10 feet and some change long, and is a great dinghy. It would fit better if it were about a half foot longer.
The dinghy lift on this boat is great, but it is really wide between the poles. Our 10.4 AB is almost too short to nest against these poles when lifted up. Also, the loops, or tabs, that are the attachment points for the dinghy didn't really fit our dink. We had a welder add new tabs on the overhead beam in Martinique, moving the attachment point for the dinghy to starboard about 9 inches, and this helped a lot. We still have a line from the dinghy bow that we pull tight toward the stern of the dinghy and cleat off so that when raised, the dinghy rest just right against the lift. Before we added the new tabs, our dinghy was just a little short to rest on both sides of the lift. I think a 12 footer would be fine. Remember, this is your car, and there is a big difference in a little dinghy and a bigger one. Too big, and it is very difficult for a couple to drag up onto the beach. Too small, and it limits your ability to hustle heavy items like fuel, water and groceries. Consider the aluminum series AB inflatable, they are very light and nicely made.
Also, when you get your boat, the lift will come with just the tabs, or loops to attach the dinghy to. This requires you to figure out how to get the dinghy to hook up to this lift. Originally, we used stainless carabiners on the lift, and appropriately sized ropes on the dinghy with loops in the end. This is not ideal, and we are changing to a block type arrangement for the lift. Look up dinghy lifts and see what there is available. This will allow you to leave the lift higher above the water when you put the dinghy down or lift it up. The problem with a fixed length rope system like we had, is that the dinghy has a possibility of riding a swell up into the crossbar. With an adjustable block system, the dinghy can be hooked to the lift from a safer distance, and then adjusted closer to the top crossbar with the blocks after it is up. Not sure if this makes sense to you, but once you use the system, you will see it is in need of individualizing for your particular dinghy.
Chris
SV Disco Volante
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:58   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42 ( on order)

l am also looking for a dinghy for my 42. I will also get something in the 10 or 11 foot range...I think Highfield has a partnership with Lagoon and I know they make a nice aluminum bottom model. I was planning on a putting a 20 hp four stroke on it ( I like Yamaha), however I am slightly unnerved to have such a big heavy engine handing off the back of the sailboat when doing a big crossing. My solution is to put the motor on a bracket on the stern. This is a $950 US option if ordered from the factory. I am wondering if this is because they reinforce the stanchions where the motor mount is. Has anyone ordered this factory bracket or have experience with this?
Houndfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:03   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Dinghy for a 42

We have a 10' portabote on our cat (Prout Snowgoose 37). We love it. Lightweight, tough (who cares about rocks or barnacles), stable, and can be removed, folded, and lashed on the side deck for blue water work. It planes (just) with a 4 hp with me alone in it (275#).

It also will fit 2 adults and 3 kids at once, albeit a bit overloaded. We might upgrade to the 12' as the kids get bigger. One modification to make it fit the davits was to add a drain plug in the bottom so it won't fill up with water, but it was a simple project.

It also allowed us to self rescue when our main engine overheated. Side tied to our stern it pushed the main boat at about 4 knots.

Just another option you might want to consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	159593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	159594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	159595  
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:14   #11

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

Apex A11' w/ 15 hp Merc elect start, wheel steering on our Leopard 42. Carried in my slightly modified davits for 8 yrs now. Does everything we need and enjoy. Might do the 20 hp if starting anew. Only caveat is that with the steering console, it's a pig to 'row'. Adding a trolling motor this season for fishing and quiet exploring.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:14   #12

We ordered our L42 with the OB motor bracket. Don't have the boat yet so can't comment beyond that. I think the lift system has sufficient capacity to handle a typical RIB with a 15 or 20 hp on the transom. I might use the factory bracket position for my BBQ grill location.
Old 27-11-2017, 05:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndfish View Post
l am also looking for a dinghy for my 42. I will also get something in the 10 or 11 foot range...I think Highfield has a partnership with Lagoon and I know they make a nice aluminum bottom model. I was planning on a putting a 20 hp four stroke on it ( I like Yamaha), however I am slightly unnerved to have such a big heavy engine handing off the back of the sailboat when doing a big crossing. My solution is to put the motor on a bracket on the stern. This is a $950 US option if ordered from the factory. I am wondering if this is because they reinforce the stanchions where the motor mount is. Has anyone ordered this factory bracket or have experience with this?
Hi Houndfish

We have the outboard bracket and use it often to carry our little 2.5Hp O/B. It works fine. Only issue is that the bracket is limited to 50kg capacity per factory recommendation, so this would seem to limit its use to a motor size of around 10Hp.

However, the dinghy davits seem sturdy enough to cope with the load of a lightweight aluminum RIB and larger outboard. The owner's manual states a maximum capacity of 250kg and a max. dinghy length of 3.4m.

We will most likely to leaving our larger O/B mounted to the dinghy transom (too heavy to be lugging about anyway), and the smaller unit will stay on the bracket when we have it on board.

Cheers
Old 23-12-2017, 05:40   #14

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I am looking at Highfield 340. most likely dual floor aluminum.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:06   #15

Hi Forum,

Does anyone use a full alloy dinghy?

Cheers
Mikel
Europe Sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy