Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 16:02   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Concerned 450 owner regarding new layouts.

I own a 2015 Lagoon 450 and have recently viewed the newer 2017 layout and personally I do not like it. It kind of crushed my dreams of buying a newer version in a few years. I'll be interested in others opinions.

1) I don't like the new layout of the kitchen area. I prefer it opening to the chart table not to the salon doorway. The 2015 version provided a grab rail along the back of the sink leading out to the aft deck. You lose the set of drawers right next to the doorway. They added a large cabinet that opens over the port companion stairs which is out of the kitchen area andin a very awkward location. They added a little bend to the counter which protrudes into the corner of the dining table and chart table area. This has really shrunk the moveable area in this location. On a positive they did round the corners to the dining table. A lot of lady guests would hit that corner and bruise their legs.

2) They scaled back the chart table area. They took away the 3 storage drawers. They replaced the flip up desk top with a little compartment for lack of a better word. I like my 2015 chart table space the 2017 is way reduced.

3) Port bow cabin lost a lot of storage space. They decided to add a step up to the right which wiped out a counter and set of drawers. They also redid the under bed sliding drawers by removing one. I prefer the triangle
section that can be added or removed depending who is using the cabin which is no longer an option.

4) I don't like the black framed salon windows. I prefer them white. I know they needed to change them because of leaking issues, but black doesn't work for me.

5) Lastly, they removed the grab rails on the port and starboard aft ss columns. Why?

I can only assume someone thought all of those changes were a good idea. Thoughts? Opinions?
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 18:37   #2

Concerned 450 owner regarding new layouts.

On the rig end, Lagoon have changed the mast and while I haven't an opinion on that yet, I didn't like that they removed one of the two shrouds. This has to do with adding diamond spreaders but cant help feeling more secure with 2x2. Or is this just a cost cutting measure?

I also prefer the original salon layout.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 19:48   #3

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Concerned 450 owner regarding new layouts.

I do not like the new layout either...

But, in a few years there will be a completely redesigned one.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 20:22   #4

What I did like was the fully molded counter tops with no wooden edges to get damaged or split and go moldy in the cracks.

Lack of a ho;e in the surround to sweep crumbs and stuff off without going all the way around to drop in sink, still shows to me these boat designers have never lived on it for any length of time without some one looking after them.

Do the new ones still have 3 sinks large, medium ans small I can not remember. Must be a French thing, 2 the same size would be better. If I wash something large I then want to be able rinse it as well.

The rest of the stuff I agree with the other guys.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:42   #5
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
On the rig end, Lagoon have changed the mast and while I haven't an opinion on that yet, I didn't like that they removed one of the two shrouds. This has to do with adding diamond spreaders but cant help feeling more secure with 2x2. Or is this just a cost cutting measure?
Lagoon uses 2 different mast:
Z Spar: one shroud
Sparcarft: two shrouds

You will see that L440 and L450 use both. Depending on what ? year ? option ? I do not know. It seems to me Sparcraft is a better brand but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea
I also prefer the original salon layout.
I like the new design with direct access to the galley/sinks from the cockpit, you don't have to turn around.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:07   #6

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
I own a 2015 Lagoon 450 and have recently viewed the newer 2017 layout and personally I do not like it. It kind of crushed my dreams of buying a newer version in a few years.
Who buys a newer version of the same size boat? Isn't bigger and bigger and bigger and then, suddenly small the way it normally goes?
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 13:18   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Isn't bigger and bigger and bigger and then, suddenly small the way it normally goes?
That's what I heard, always buy up!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:15   #8

We agree with sailingforfun comments

We have a Z spar with upper and lower side stays, have tried to contact Z spars for tuning and rigging guide with mast serial number and all, no reply or acknowledgement.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
What I did like was the fully molded counter tops with no wooden edges to get damaged or split and go moldy in the cracks.

Lack of a ho;e in the surround to sweep crumbs and stuff off without going all the way around to drop in sink, still shows to me these boat designers have never lived on it for any length of time without some one looking after them.

Do the new ones still have 3 sinks large, medium ans small I can not remember. Must be a French thing, 2 the same size would be better. If I wash something large I then want to be able rinse it as well.

The rest of the stuff I agree with the other guys.
2 sinks only. I always thought they should lose the third sink and either provide two larger sinks or just remove the third sink and provide more counter top area.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 14:07   #10

Its been a while I've been trying to find an L440 or L450 in a decent condition at my budget of 200K without luck.. I'll take one with 1 sink even thank you very much
Vander Woestijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 19:41   #11

"L450 in a decent condition at my budget of 200K without luck.."

You will need a bit more than luck.

If you wait long enough the market will move to meet your expectations, it may be quiet a long wait though.

Good Luck.

Old 14-04-2017, 06:32   #12

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vander Woestijn View Post
Its been a while I've been trying to find an L440 or L450 in a decent condition at my budget of 200K without luck.. I'll take one with 1 sink even thank you very much
I'm in almost the same boat, slightly different. I'm looking for a decent 440 at a 300K price point. I've found a beauty for $325K, kitted out the way I want and I'm ready to move on it but I'm #2 on the buyer's list. Dang! Yes, it is above my budget but I'll stretch it for this particular 440.

You will find 440s in high $200Ks needing work or low $300Ks RTS (ready to sail, even though we all know there is no such thing).

450s? Throw in another $100K..

But keep looking, you may find a hidden gem!

Disclaimer: I'm not an Internet search guru, these are my results. YMMV
Old 14-04-2017, 10:29   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Having spent a LOT of time recently looking at 450's, and eventually buying one, I agree with the pricing statement above.

We had to adjust upwards our limit to get the boat style we really wanted (450 3 Cabin, never chartered, 3 cabin), and yes it was around (bit over) 400k. You can get cheaper if you are willing to take an ex charter 4 cabin, around 350k maybe. Of course there are some very nice 450's out there, with all the fruit, ready to cruise. But can add another 50 to 100k on top depending on year and gear.

Back on the OP statement. My wife and I agree. We much prefer the one we bought (2011 3 Cabin), to the 2016 Layout. I do NOT like the new chart table in the newer model. Lots of space and storage gone. I also do not like the Pt-Fwd berth. The V-berth of the older one was a very attractive feature for us. In our case, because I want to turn it into an office, but also to sleep kids as 2 bunks, when friends and family come to visit.

The new layout is nice and pretty for charter. but I think the older one more suits full time live-aboard. (Time will tell, we move aboard in 4 weeks).

Regards

Mark

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 13:23   #14

[QUOTE=Catapault; (Time will tell, we move aboard in 4 weeks).

Good luck and enjoy the Journey as you move aboard, we are just coming up on 3 years next week. The only thing I miss about living on land is, no I can not think of anything.

It's not all beer and skittles but it goes dam close. It's the people you meet not the sailing or the destinations that are the most memorable.

Old 15-04-2017, 03:59   #15

Boat: 450S

My partner and I have lived aboard the new layout for 12 months now and compared to the older layout we prefer the galley orientation. You can have two people in the galley area with less squeezing. Agree with Paul that a gap in the counter top edge would make cleaning easier. I prefer the 440 finish of rounded corners on benches etc. Modern design is more slanted towards apartment styling than practical safe sailing imho.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote