Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 10:05   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Code Zero reaching asil

Thanks for the info W4L. I'm going to order the Code 0 in two months when I can get the exact measurements from my cat. UK Sailmakers has a really good price on it. I don't know if they have the ability to decrease the camber of the sail for cruising applications.

I'm also going to order if for a sock deployment until I'm sure the sail is useable for my boat. It's 400 euro vs 3000 for a roller furling set up. One main concern for a continuous roller furler is that the drum will need to be approximately 2' above the prodder. I don't know if the connection rope will contain the twist with this much distance. Any opinions on this?
Old 21-03-2014, 10:21   #17

Boat: Passport Vista 545AC

David Flynn of Quantum Sails also wrote a great article on Code 0s. http://www.quantumsails.com/get_file...f-92f5f8c1cd9c
CaptainChaos104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 15:37   #18

Boat: Corsair Sprint 750

Palarran,

UK will work with you on shaping your sail. Be sure to tell them that you want it to go upwind. They will cut it flatter. You asked if the continuous line furler would contain the twist since it would be 2" above the prodder. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by this, but I have a continuous line furler on my screecher It works great. If you mean the front , the leech, of the sail twisting -- Putting a lot of tension on the halyard will keep it from twisting unless you are too close to the wind . I would urge you to get a very low stretch halyard for the screecher since a tight halyard is so important for pointing ability. I have never used a sleeve, but I imagine it would bunch the sail up a lot. This is not a problem with a nylon spinnaker, but creasing the stiffer sreecher will shorten the life of the screecher.
WaterIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 23:06   #19

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
i = 17.23m
J = 4.25m
P = 17.06m
E = 6.50m
LP = 5.17m
Second wind, I have just made an offer on a Lagoon 440 and I would value your experience in relation to purchasing a headsail for my boat, more than likely I will be sailing short handed, even single handed, would you recamend a furling setup or sock.
Alan Taylor Buddina Sunshine Coast
Alan Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 04:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Taylor View Post
Second wind, I have just made an offer on a Lagoon 440 and I would value your experience in relation to purchasing a headsail for my boat, more than likely I will be sailing short handed, even single handed, would you recamend a furling setup or sock.
Alan Taylor Buddina Sunshine Coast
Alan, not sure if I understand correctly, but the headsail (a genoa) should be on a furler, mounted on the forestay, which is fractionally rigged. I might have thought there would be one on the boat as it is a pretty standard item. It is your only option sailing close to wind 30-60 degrees apparant and is very easily reefed or furled single handed from the helm.

My screecher is also highly versitile and very easy to handle single handed. It is furled off the bow sprit with a never ending line that is long enough to reach straight back to the helm for ease of deployment and furling single handed as you can control both the furling line and the sheet from the helm position. Its cut has a straight luff with is kept rather tight via the halyard. It too is fractional with the mast block being just above that of the genoa/forstay. It is run outside the shrouds to return blocks mounted aft . Its cut makes for sailing to windward up to 70 degrees apparent when tight on the sheet but ideal on a reech and usable but not ideal on a deep reech. Down wind its useless unless flown without the main as it gets blanketed. If so, you can mount it off the windward hull to square it to wind and loosen the halyard a little to give it shape, but as such, its a "make do" down wind option when short handed. Efficient deep reeching of down wind, will require an ASI or SPI and will need at least one other capable crew. On my own or with kids or novice crew, I just use the Genoa and screecher, and if required, tack down wind as the screecher can be easily gybed.

Hope this helps?
Cheers.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 01:31   #21

Just a reminder that in light air, sailing at 60 degrees apparent is still sailing well down wind.

Here's a vid of the ASI at 60 degrees apparent (120 degree true) doing 6-8kts in 8-9 kts of wind.

Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:20   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Sailmaker will certainly work with you on the sail design. Ours from Quantum is special for our particular needs and vessel. We do well enough close-hauled in 4-5 knots true but if we crack off 15 or more it becomes painful. We went with a special reinforced nylon ('new super - magic cloth') and had it made pretty flat. We only see the need in very light winds where our 135% is too small off the wind. It has an ATN snuffer - OK with nylon. Quantum calls it a Code zero but I think of it more as a reacher. It measures about as a 200% genoa. We hope it will be easier to deal with and more versatile than our AS kite. We have a 'spare' location on the mast head for a port halyard. We think we will need it for this sail so we are preparing to add an exterior halyard. I wonder if we should be adding pad-eyes & fairleads for the deck to masthead run (70 feet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARHAUER 1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	77994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583 ex.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	77995  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:42   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is an indication of my depth of experience (read that AGE). When I first started racing we carried a rectangular sail that was tacked to the spinnaker pole end and flew BELOW the kite to scavenge that lost area. It worked OK if the pole was flown high for trim. It was a real pain and did not last long. Anyone remember the name of that thing? I can't even find reference to it in a search.

Does anyone still use a blooper? Photos - Heritage One Ton I raced for 18 years. Love the gyro-stabilized shot of us from Cleveland Race Week. I found the current owner still had those sails recently, and is winning lots of races in Erie PA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HERITAGE 1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	77997   Click image for larger version

Name:	HERITAGE 2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	77998  

Old 04-04-2014, 06:40   #24

Here is a good video of a Outremer with a Code 0. The bunching of the foot of the sail on the seagull striker is what I would like to avoid. To me, raising the tack up 2' while sailing and then lowering it down if needed to roll in would be worth it. Why wouldn't you do this?

It's also interesting how tight the sail is to the shroud.

Old 04-04-2014, 17:28   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We raced a Heritage One Ton for many years with the mylar/kevlar #1 partly draped over the lifeline. We had extra reinforcing patches, like spreader patches. You could also consider sectioning the lifeline so you can drop the bow section. More extreme is to bridle the tack between the dolphin striker & lee bow or add a strut to move the tack forward.
Old 04-04-2014, 18:02   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just got the official numbers from Quantum for GO BLUE.

IRC areas 127.597 M^2
AC area 128.09 M^2
Luff 21.028 M
Leech 19.908M
Foot 11.046 M
SMG 6.627 M

pretty pumped to see this beast fly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GO BLUE 131.5M.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	78775  
Old 09-04-2014, 14:09   #27

For those of you who have a Code 0 rigged on your cat, how do you handle/route your sheets and roller furler lines. The roller furler I can keep somewhat out of the way but the sheets would be coming from way in the back. Do you just attach them when you deploy the sail? If so, how do you keep it from unfurling.
Old 09-04-2014, 16:16   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't sail a large cat but I suggest perhaps a permanent pennant on the clew. Our large headsails have clews too high to reach. A single pennant will also reduce the length of the sheet.

Also, if you use a barber hook you can lead the clew inside or outside shrouds without loosing the sail control.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:37   #29

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

A Screecher is usually built as a 50-100 apparent wind sail that can take 15-20kts of wind. Flatter shape. Code 0 is a light air, 8-15kt Reaching sail with a fuller shape. They are similar but not the same. Also, a code 0 on a racing boat is different then a cruising due to race rules that dictate cut and size. Which one you go with depends on your other sail inventory and conditions where the boat is sailing. I got a Screecher since I already have an asym and and comfortable flying it. In light air I tend to put up the iron genny! A single line Furler is better for a code 0 while a continuous line Furler is better for a Screecher because the Screecher will unfurl too fast and jam the line on a single line system. Makes for a bad day, especially if you wait too long to take it in! If you get a removable(from the sail) Furler you can setup your spinnaker as a top down Furler and swap the furling system between the two.
CaptRick95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 14:07   #30

Boat: LAGOON 400

in light winds <10 screecher can go to 35 app. I am not convinced it adds to speed much at this angle vs jib. But i had opportunity to try only 1x such conditions so my trim was maybe out.

Regarding sheets, i use one only, so less mess. When tacking, furl and then carry sheet to the other side thru jib/gennaker slot.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero