Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 01:34   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Question Carrying an Ultralite on a Lagoon 440?

Hi all,

In the very near future I will be off to Croatia to look at some L440 options with a view to striking a deal, paying a deposit, and taking possession early Feb 2013. I fly microlight aircraft and will be taking an Airborne-brand Auusie built trike with a folding / removable wing which will be on floats which I hope to carry accross the transon. Weight will be about 220kg max. The tender will have to go forward. Any comments? Am I dreamin!! or do you think I can carry the trike without seriously upseting the trim and overloading the boat while we are permanent live-aboard cruisers.
Coldar1
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 04:18   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Should not be an issue,
2 big men standing at the back of a 440 have no effect on its balance and we were 250 kg.
We are putting a 200 kg jetski on the back soon.
Some owners have 100 kg tender plus 45 kg motor then fuel ontop and only really mention having it secured properly.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 18:35   #3

Re: coldar1

Great feedback. I may need to installsome modified davits but it will be worth it!
Old 22-09-2012, 20:47   #4

Re: Carrying an Ultralite on a Lagoon 440?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldar1 View Post
Hi all,

In the very near future I will be off to Croatia to look at some L440 options with a view to striking a deal, paying a deposit, and taking possession early Feb 2013. I fly microlight aircraft and will be taking an Airborne-brand Auusie built trike with a folding / removable wing which will be on floats which I hope to carry accross the transon. Weight will be about 220kg max. The tender will have to go forward. Any comments? Am I dreamin!! or do you think I can carry the trike without seriously upseting the trim and overloading the boat while we are permanent live-aboard cruisers.
Coldar1
Water World ?
white rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 20:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

I like you idea... a lot.

My biggest concern would be around corrosion on the Rotax engine. You'd need to plug it up really well to stop any damage. By half way across the pacific she'd possibly size up if you didn't regularly turn it over or use it.

Where will you put the wing?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 21:50   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

There's quite an amount of ultra-lights over here, PM me what boat you are looking at as i may have viewed it prior to buying ours here.
We will be wintering in MILNA doing loads of work on our boat, MILNA is a $3 boat ride to SPLIT which is one of CROATIA's main cities.

We have an 8ft RIB with 20hp 4 Stroke Honda on back along with a BIONIX Passerole that itself weighs 220kg and our scoops at rest are above the water by 50mm.

Also depends which genset is installed, i have a 6KvA Paguro it's a lightweight compared to the 12KvA Onans some have fitted....

Cheers and welcome to the Forum.
Old 23-09-2012, 00:02   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

no need for a dinghy anyway, you can just fly to the beach
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:03   #8

Thanks for the reply. I've had a couple of positive responses about the weight and no-one seems to think it is an issue. The floats are fairly long and about 2.4M wide so I'll probably have to take the floats of to carry the trike long distances but nothing a handy-man can't find an answer too. I think I fly in to Split on my way to Zadar. The main boat of interest is calle "Symphony" which seems to have lots of bells and whistles added for permanent long term cruising.
Coldar1 PS: Loving the forum and all the great advice and comments
Old 23-09-2012, 00:06   #9

pirate Re: Carrying an Ultralite on a Lagoon 440?

Always happy to hear about L440's others know about. Final dates not set yet but looks like being from about 29 Sept to 7 0r 8 October. Trying to fit in Turkey (Marmaris) and Croatia
Old 23-09-2012, 00:07   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

hey Dirk, whats your summer sailing plans? Heading North? Ill be leaving our cat here in Spain somwhere for a few months till the weather clears next year. Its still great weather now off Ibiza, but another month or so will be like winter in Torquay! No surf but had a couple of kite surfs this week. I was on a couple of 440's last week for sundowners...Nice ! That flybridge helm is a nice place to sit and relax and watch the sunset
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
There's quite an amount of ultra-lights over here, PM me what boat you are looking at as i may have viewed it prior to buying ours here.
We will be wintering in MILNA doing loads of work on our boat, MILNA is a $3 boat ride to SPLIT which is one of CROATIA's main cities.

We have an 8ft RIB with 20hp 4 Stroke Honda on back along with a BIONIX Passerole that itself weighs 220kg and our scoops at rest are above the water by 50mm.

Also depends which genset is installed, i have a 6KvA Paguro it's a lightweight compared to the 12KvA Onans some have fitted....

Cheers and welcome to the Forum.
I was hoping someone could confirm that there are other microlights around. Still trying to get in touch with any formal groups or organisations who fly microlights, particularly trikes who can give me some guidance on the rules for flying around the coast.
Old 23-09-2012, 04:08   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Hi Monte,
Going to Cairns on Wed for 2 weeks sailing the barrier reef aiming for Gold coast.
Then will come home do some work and go and bring it to Sydney prob Melb cup weekend then back to Geelong for summer.
Only been on board twice this year so far, looking forward to fair winds.
How's the new 380?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 04:26   #13

I know Symphony i was putting her as our first choice till we bought MAJUEN now DOMINOS.
SYMPHONY is in MANDALINA Marina near SIBENIK, tis loaded for sure, the hours are up on machinery she looks good in the water. Is Peter Shmidt the broker?

Peter is a good bloke he may intro you to TINO PROSIVEK who is an interpreter, TINO is a gentleman.

Good luck. Frank
Old 23-09-2012, 04:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
hey Dirk, whats your summer sailing plans? Heading North? Ill be leaving our cat here in Spain somwhere for a few months till the weather clears next year. Its still great weather now off Ibiza, but another month or so will be like winter in Torquay! No surf but had a couple of kite surfs this week. I was on a couple of 440's last week for sundowners...Nice ! That flybridge helm is a nice place to sit and relax and watch the sunset
Witty signature..... 60 cents short of 440!!!! Bahaaaaaa how are you MONTE?
Old 23-09-2012, 05:35   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
We have an 8ft RIB with 20hp 4 Stroke Honda
20hp on 8'? That is a large engine on a small RIB - it must be dangerous at WOT!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon