Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 20:48   #16
GGT

Boat: Leopard 46
Re: Best use for the cockpit draining locker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
A drain plug to stop the cold from going down the drain might be nice too.

I have put a drain plug in the drink storage box on a 450. It helps keep ice a little longer, but not by much.

I am waiting to hear if someone has successfully insulated the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:19   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450

Thank you Scottster for the Dometic icemaker suggestion. I have never seen one of those before, and then looked on Amazon and I have seen a ton of them.

We tend to use the generator for 2-3 hours a day, given that these make about 33 pounds in 24 hours and a 15 minute to first ice, it *seems* like I could get roughly 2.5 to 3.5 pounds of ice during my normal hours of operation - which would be perfect!

We will buy one and try it out.

Currently I use it as an auxiliary storage for beer & other provisions, but it actively irritates me, on an otherwise well thought out boat. Ultimately, I would like to convert it to a deep freezer I think. Would love to hear more feedback on that possibility.

BTW: As for ice in BVI, the cheapest I have found so far is $4 for a 10 pound bag if you walk up to the ice house in JVD, BVI. Who knows of cheaper ice?

Thank you,
-Erik
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:24   #18

Boat: Lagoon 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitstrategy View Post
Thank you Scottster for the Dometic icemaker suggestion. I have never seen one of those before, and then looked on Amazon and I have seen a ton of them.

We tend to use the generator for 2-3 hours a day, given that these make about 33 pounds in 24 hours and a 15 minute to first ice, it *seems* like I could get roughly 2.5 to 3.5 pounds of ice during my normal hours of operation - which would be perfect!

We will buy one and try it out.

Currently I use it as an auxiliary storage for beer & other provisions, but it actively irritates me, on an otherwise well thought out boat. Ultimately, I would like to convert it to a deep freezer I think. Would love to hear more feedback on that possibility.

BTW: As for ice in BVI, the cheapest I have found so far is $4 for a 10 pound bag if you walk up to the ice house in JVD, BVI. Who knows of cheaper ice?

Thank you,
-Erik

As for ice in the Bvi, each of Saba rock and Leverick Bay provide a bag of ice free with a paid mooring or slip.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:57   #19

Obviously it is useless as an ice chest. Next we stored soft drinks. It gets so hot the cans were bursting! Now, its used to keep a light weight tool box and extra shoes.
ps under floor storage in salon also burst soft drinks

Were in USVI

Capt Larry
its amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:50   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450

@Scottster, we love the Dometic icemaker! Fits right outside to port of this stupid draining locker. Now we have tons of ice!

This year we added solar & a spectra newport 400 watermaker, combined with the genset and washing machine, I have never felt so independent. But the ice maker was the key piece of luxury!

Warm cheers,
-Erik

P.S. Currently using that locker to old BBQ & fishing gear.
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit