Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 17:02   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
B&G chart plotter reverse course

HI,

I have a 2016 L450F with a B&G chart plotter. Every time I select reverse route it creates it's own reverse route as a direct line from the current position over land... I had expected it would work like my old Garmin and just be a reverse of the current selected route. The manual is a bit useless

Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 17:54   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: B&G chart plotter reverse course

I have the same plotter there are utube videos along with some help full bits on B&G main web site. Yes i have had the same issue.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 07:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
I have the same plotter there are utube videos along with some help full bits on B&G main web site. Yes i have had the same issue.
HI,

Thanks... I just saw something online that said you need to click on a waypoint to engage the reverse option... They really need to improve their manuals and hire some better UI folks...

Does your depth sounder lose 'deep' too? Mine will read 4.5m in 2000m of water, off and on...

Regards, Rick
Old 28-06-2017, 07:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthesailor View Post
HI,

Thanks... I just saw something online that said you need to click on a waypoint to engage the reverse option... They really need to improve their manuals and hire some better UI folks...

Does your depth sounder lose 'deep' too? Mine will read 4.5m in 2000m of water, off and on...

Regards, Rick
Mine does the same. I ask the B&G dealer and i really cant remember the reason he gave. Same old bla bla. I have a problem with high voltage warnings they are trying to figure out. Everytime i have a issue they say o you must do a system upgrade. Of course they want to charge. Or i can try to download with poor internet. But the last one they did my forward scan stop working. A work in progress!
Old 28-06-2017, 08:16   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

It is normal, that the depth sounder lose depth in 100 or 150M, depending on the model.

If your depth sounder show you 4 M in 2000 M depth, thats probably a fish, a dolphin etc. .
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 08:49   #6

Which B&G Plotter model?
dietervoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietervoegeli View Post
Which B&G Plotter model?
HI,

B&G Zeus 2 12"... Latest updates have been applied...

Rick...
Old 09-07-2017, 07:03   #8

So tell us (me) how you use routes? Where are you sailing? Are you sailing or motoring?

How close are the waypoints or long / short are the legs of your routes?

My own experience with MFDs and 3 chart plotters... is that when sailing they are usually not useful.

First when sailing I usually have more than enough time to set a single waypoint to sail to. If the wind is favorable I can sail a course straight as an arrow with GPS cross track and so on. I can see the course line and I can see the line from the starting location to the waypoint. My instruments tell me the course to steer to waypoint and the course I am actually making. I am using an AP and make very slight adjustments to heading as needed.

Before I reach the waypoint I select the next one and repeat the process above. If I have to sail and tack or gybe my course made good with zig zag over the direct course line from start to way point.

What do I need to program a route? Why do I need to even have a library of way points? Is it too much trouble to enter one way point destination at a time? Hell no!

I think these way point libraries and routes and all the "planning" that goes into them is just electronic makers marketing useless features. There are likely better things to do with one's time then do route planning on a plotter.

Sure you should study your charts and understand how to get from here to there... consider the weather and how that will impact on your proposed journey.

I bought one of the first (and extremely expensive Trimble) plotters back in I think 1990 or so. And have had several since and never use routes or bother with waypoint libraries.

When I do set a way point it remains as an X on my C 80 plotter and I can use it again... and often do as I am mostly sailing in familiar southern NE waters.

Please tell me why you need and how you use routes?

+++

I now use a B&G T7 stand alone in the cockpit... it shows me where I am heading... and that's more than enough information for me. More important is to maintain watch.

I don't bother manually steering... Only do that when I must or conditions are so much fun that I want to play with the waves. The rest of the time... the AP drives the boat and I do the thinking. And my AP is not GPS driven either... I get a course from the plotter and I manually enter it into the AP and then make the minor corrections as needed. Sailing without an AP is crazy for me... not the least bit enjoyable. I've done it enough to know.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:39   #9

Boat: Hanse 348

Rick, don't want to hijack your thread, but also have a zeus 12, have you figured out how to set an anchor alarm? I cannot find this in the manual, but got to believe this can be done!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Rick, don't want to hijack your thread, but also have a zeus 12, have you figured out how to set an anchor alarm? I cannot find this in the manual, but got to believe this can be done!
Yes but for the anchor alarm to work you would need to keavd your nav up and running all night and maybe all day!
Old 24-07-2017, 09:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

HI,

I don't use an anchor alarm... I have Maxsea Timezero on my laptop, and run that for a few hours when I anchor. It gives me a good reference against drag.. I turn the laptop on occasionally to see if I am within the boundaries...

Regards, Rick